Author Topic: 12.6 or 14  (Read 4269 times)

Davmar

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
12.6 or 14
« on: October 18, 2014, 01:17:58 PM »
I have now had 4 flat water races on a tower competitor board 12.6.  I want to move up to a better board. (2000.00 to 3000.00).  My question is do I stick with the 12.6 or go to 14ft.  I am 6.1 165.00.  Thanks for any advice. DJ

TN_SUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: 12.6 or 14
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2014, 07:48:27 AM »
I would go 14, they feel much faster, unless you think you would place higher in race against the 12.6 crew. Plus, at your height, the 14 would be a better fit, and at your weight, you could go narrower. It appears the 12.6 may be obsolete soon. Would love to know the ratio of 12 6 versus 14s sold.   

'13 SB Sprint, '15 SIC X-14 ProLite, RH Coastal Cruiser, Think EZE Ski, Kenalu Konihi 84  & Mana

gorgebob

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Gorgeperformance.com
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2014, 07:56:00 AM »
You are much better suited for 14'. 12'6" are still popular in certain areas, but 14' should prevail. In the races in the NW men on 12'6" are few.
Founder: Gorge Performance Surf  Shop Portland
Fabricator: RNR Engineering

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2014, 10:25:27 AM »
Listen to the smart people above.  12-6 does seem to be a dying category for flatwater men.  Resale value on a 12-6 could be poor vs. 14.  You're light enough for a 12-6, but like TN said, go 14' and go narrower, for even more speed.  And since even people who race often still are training vs. racing 90% of their miles, it makes sense to get a board that makes you enjoy your non-racing miles.  For me, I'd want the glide of a 14' board, even if I knew I could win the 12-6 category in every race--the sacrifice in training enjoyment wouldn't be worth it to me.

kayadogg

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2014, 10:34:06 AM »
It appears the 12.6 may be obsolete soon.

What makes you think this?  I'm honestly just curious because when I first started racing, I lived in New England and there were hardly any men on 12'6 boards at all.  Now I live in SoCal and while 14' is still popular, every race that I'm in there seems to be almost an equal number of 12'6 boards.  I was racing and paddling an unlimited for a few months when I first moved out here and while I did enjoy the glide, I hated trying to maneuver the board off my deck, down my stairs and then onto the car, then out of the bag, etc.  I went with a 12'6 custom a couple months ago and couldn't be happier. First of all, it's super light and easy to move around, no more bumping into everything. I got a custom bag too that makes that a breeze to take on and off. I train on it and sure I could be going faster but that just means I'd go farther to get the same workout. I'm not turning pro or going to the Olympics so I don't really care.  More importantly, my fiance also paddles a 12'6 so we can paddle together easier than when I'm on a 14' (which I do own). Plus a 12'6 is fun to surf and fun to downwind in short period crap.  I race it too. For a long race, anything over 6 miles, I'll usually choose my 14' but day in and day out, I'm grabbing my 12'6 if I'm not going to surf.  I know it's a matter of opinion and I understand all of the previous threads about board sizes but I'm not sure that it's a dying class or will be obsolete soon, especially when there is at least one big race that recently took place that requires the pros to be on 12'6 boards.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 10:36:56 AM by kayadogg »

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2014, 10:48:03 AM »

What makes you think this?  I'm honestly just curious because when I first started racing, I lived in New England and there were hardly any men on 12'6 boards at all.  Now I live in SoCal and while 14' is still popular, every race that I'm in there seems to be almost an equal number of 12'6 boards.  I was racing and paddling an unlimited for a few months when I first moved out here and while I did enjoy the glide, I hated trying to maneuver the board off my deck, down my stairs and then onto the car, then out of the bag, etc.  I went with a 12'6 custom a couple months ago and couldn't be happier. First of all, it's super light and easy to move around, no more bumping into everything. I got a custom bag too that makes that a breeze to take on and off. I train on it and sure I could be going faster but that just means I'd go farther to get the same workout. I'm not turning pro or going to the Olympics so I don't really care.  More importantly, my fiance also paddles a 12'6 so we can paddle together easier than when I'm on a 14' (which I do own). Plus a 12'6 is fun to surf and fun to downwind in short period crap.  I race it too. For a long race, anything over 6 miles, I'll usually choose my 14' but day in and day out, I'm grabbing my 12'6 if I'm not going to surf.  I know it's a matter of opinion and I understand all of the previous threads about board sizes but I'm not sure that it's a dying class or will be obsolete soon, especially when there is at least one big race that recently took place that requires the pros to be on 12'6 boards.
Those are all good points.  I also said the 12-6s were becoming rare for flatwater, and it is true here in the NW.  I wonder if 12-6 still being popular in SoCal has to do with people using them more in the ocean and surf (but not necessarily even surfing)?  Especially for people with only one board--12-6 might be more versatile?  Even outside surf, 14s can be worse than 12-6s in side chop.  Here, not many people ever get to the ocean.  Flatwater is usually very flat.  And there's downwinding here, but 14s work better for that also.  Here most races also seem to be over 6 miles.  Lots of factors to consider.

kayadogg

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2014, 11:00:16 AM »

Those are all good points.  I also said the 12-6s were becoming rare for flatwater, and it is true here in the NW.  I wonder if 12-6 still being popular in SoCal has to do with people using them more in the ocean and surf (but not necessarily even surfing)?  Especially for people with only one board--12-6 might be more versatile?  Even outside surf, 14s can be worse than 12-6s in side chop.  Here, not many people ever get to the ocean.  Flatwater is usually very flat.  And there's downwinding here, but 14s work better for that also.  Here most races also seem to be over 6 miles.  Lots of factors to consider.

Yes, I think it really does boil down to the location and what works well for that area in general. I know that currently even in New England, the elite races will have a 12'6 and a 14' class but the 14' class is really the "big" race where the top paddlers are and seems to be the one that holds the most weight. This could be one of those threads that is a never ending story.  I'm fortunate that I have many race boards in many sizes but as of late, I've just been choosing my 12'6, partly because it's new and a custom but also because right now, based on where we live and other factors, it's the board that will give me the most all around fun.

PDLSFR

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2014, 11:50:54 AM »
I just traded my 14' Naish Glide for a 7'4 surf SUP as I decided on ordering a custom 12'6 from a local shaper. I am not doing long distance (over 6 miles) so the 12'6 board will be fine for all local races here in New England.

All boils down to preference.
Infinity RNB 8'2
Ron House 9'7
Ron House 10'7
Infinity New Deal 10'
Custom Infinity New Deal 10'
VEC 11'
Focus Bluefin 14'

robon

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2014, 12:37:28 PM »
I also agree that it comes down to location and preference between between a 12'6" and a 14' board.

In the interior of BC where I'm at, I would guess 12'6" boards out sell 14 footers 10 to 1 at a bare minimum. It's not even a little bit close and I would estimate the ratio to be similar in many other inland locations in North America.  Racing isn't popular in quite a few inland locations, and many people simply don't want a 14' foot board for storage/transportation reasons. 12'6" boards do alright in short period swell for down winding as well. It does seem the race class is much more stacked for the 14' category these days for the more serious races.

* Recent Posts

post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 16, 2024, 12:40:25 AM
post SIC Raptor Foil and Board For Sale
[Classifieds]
addapost
April 15, 2024, 04:25:26 PM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 15, 2024, 02:40:38 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal