Author Topic: BOP Crash Kai v Connor  (Read 58615 times)

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: BOP Crash Kai v Connor
« Reply #90 on: October 08, 2014, 10:57:03 AM »
It's no wonder they hate us. If it was surf contest that would be one thing. But to take over one of the premier surf spots on one of the last south swells of summer, just to watch top athletes cope with the conditions on the wrong equipment for the conditions? Not to take anything away from anybody that competed, but that video makes stand up look pretty bad.

What does the type of event have to do with it? Doesn't a surf event shut down access for those not competing? Wrong equipment?....it's a race. Run what ya brung! I don't think the video hurts SUP at all. I had to laugh at the Surfer forum comments about the coming carnage....like we all weren't hoping for some....part of what the BOP is known for.  In fact I think it shows that there are a lot of folks that have some serious gonads going for it.

I agree with Stoneaxe. I overheard many non-paddlers commenting on how they never knew stand up paddling could even take place in those types of conditions, they were amazed, in a good way. I feel like it actually impressed and captivated many who are not familiar with the sport and I don't mean just by the carnage. Colin McPhilips & the brown Blurr, among others, rode some bombs and didn't just go straight and hang on, they actually surfed a 12'6 board with beautiful turns and style. It was an impressive display of handling a board in that type of surf, it wasn't all about carnage. That being said, there were a number of injuries, rumors of broken jaws, broken noses, etc... which is not good, especially for any weekend warrior that would potentially be a future participant.
Although I agree with you and Stoneaxe, southwesterly still has a point, and from one perspective, everything he says is true. 

Chilly

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #91 on: October 08, 2014, 11:29:25 AM »
It's no wonder they hate us. If it was surf contest that would be one thing. But to take over one of the premier surf spots on one of the last south swells of summer, just to watch top athletes cope with the conditions on the wrong equipment for the conditions? Not to take anything away from anybody that competed, but that video makes stand up look pretty bad.

What does the type of event have to do with it? Doesn't a surf event shut down access for those not competing? Wrong equipment?....it's a race. Run what ya brung! I don't think the video hurts SUP at all. I had to laugh at the Surfer forum comments about the coming carnage....like we all weren't hoping for some....part of what the BOP is known for.  In fact I think it shows that there are a lot of folks that have some serious gonads going for it.

I agree with Stoneaxe. I overheard many non-paddlers commenting on how they never knew stand up paddling could even take place in those types of conditions, they were amazed, in a good way. I feel like it actually impressed and captivated many who are not familiar with the sport and I don't mean just by the carnage. Colin McPhilips & the brown Blurr, among others, rode some bombs and didn't just go straight and hang on, they actually surfed a 12'6 board with beautiful turns and style. It was an impressive display of handling a board in that type of surf, it wasn't all about carnage. That being said, there were a number of injuries, rumors of broken jaws, broken noses, etc... which is not good, especially for any weekend warrior that would potentially be a future participant.

I think the video makes stand up look pretty bad-ASS. I have much respect for every one of those athletes that started that race. As far as closing the beach for a SUP race, roads are closed during marathons and triathlons and a lot more people get upset at that.
NSP 2016 12'6 Surf Race Pro

SeaMe

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 08, 2014, 11:46:20 AM »
That's a good one to know SeaMe, I expect to see you in out the surf next summer.

It's on my to-do list.  ;D

I thought I read in a lead up article (I'll try to find the link) that the idea was that the surf would still be accessible to non-event folks between heats.

Found the article: http://www.supthemag.com/news/battle-of-the-paddle-moving-to-salt-creek/

Here's what was said:

SUP mag: So culturally, Salt Creek isn’t really a SUP destination. Any plans to work with the locals?

BT: We’re all Orange County locals so we understand that situation. We know Salt Creek is a sensitive spot. We plan to talk to locals and work with them. We’re not going to completely take over the beach. In between the races the water will be open. We definitely want to work with the locals to mitigate problems. But again, Salt Creek is such a scenic and beautiful beach and we’re really excited about that.

Can anyone confirm or deny that between races the water was open?
“I must be a mermaid, Rango. I have no fear of depths and a great fear of shallow living.” ― Anaïs Nin
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>
Fanatic Fly HRS 10'6"
Fanatic Ray HRS BVI 12'0" ヾ(@°▽°@)ノ

SUP CPA

• Waikiki Status
  • Laguna Niguel, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 08, 2014, 12:00:04 PM »
That's a good one to know SeaMe, I expect to see you in out the surf next summer.

It's on my to-do list.  ;D

I thought I read in a lead up article (I'll try to find the link) that the idea was that the surf would still be accessible to non-event folks between heats.

Found the article: http://www.supthemag.com/news/battle-of-the-paddle-moving-to-salt-creek/

Here's what was said:

SUP mag: So culturally, Salt Creek isn’t really a SUP destination. Any plans to work with the locals?

BT: We’re all Orange County locals so we understand that situation. We know Salt Creek is a sensitive spot. We plan to talk to locals and work with them. We’re not going to completely take over the beach. In between the races the water will be open. We definitely want to work with the locals to mitigate problems. But again, Salt Creek is such a scenic and beautiful beach and we’re really excited about that.

Can anyone confirm or deny that between races the water was open?

Yes, the water was open, there were prone surfers riding even during the races.  They did have to move North of the entry and exit zone.  There were also a few brave SUP surfers who surfed the big waves between races.  I didn't see too many recreational paddlers, though.

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 08, 2014, 12:11:47 PM »
Often one hears - oh you do sup that is a good core exercise right?  Most are not aware of sup surfing - m2m - 11 city - bop - sprint races - etc.  BOP coverage and carnage is an eye opener and helps solidify sup as a sport that takes skill power stamina and often courage.  Obvious and hidden fades grabs bumps pushes are all part of bop and bring old and new spectators to watch = $$$.

If it WAS officially protested by Connor - likely both would be DQ'd and Jake would win.  Bop is a great venue and a fantastic spectator sport.  Watching competitors get pummeled in the surf was pure carnage heaven.  We want more!!!

8)
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

raf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • soposup.com
    • Email
« Reply #95 on: October 08, 2014, 12:19:03 PM »
Clearly those are the wrong boards for those conditions.  Its too bad.  In some ways it would be cool to see folks on surfier shapes.  But it must be worth racing a flat rocker race board for 95% of the time, even if you know you will eat shit paddling out/in.

outcast

• Peahi Status
  • Ambassador for Nihilistic Surf
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 08, 2014, 12:33:42 PM »
It's just that it's not "Real Surfing"
Props to all who went.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 12:51:15 PM by outcast »
Too many for the rack
Some in the shack
Some under decks
Some have straps

Blue crab

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 08, 2014, 01:21:55 PM »
The videos are fantastically entertaining and will inevitably lead to greater interest in the sport. However, the real question is how far the sport is willing to go from a safety point of view.  Enough races like that, and there will definitely be a catastrophic board to the windpipe, chest or temple. Law of averages.

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 08, 2014, 01:36:07 PM »
Unfortunately that is often precisely when NEW rules are added for competitor safety.  Ref. the recent America's Cup fatality - RIP -

http://www.theverge.com/2013/9/3/4672686/billionaire-death-race

A few cracked ribs and broken fingers - missing teeth are all very minor compared to head and spinal injuries due to an "accidental" cut back move with a race board in decent surf.  Just sayin' ...

Yes - certain rules need to be in place - no deliberate take out moves boys.

8)
Fast is FUN!   8)

Easy Rider

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 08, 2014, 03:41:14 PM »
Karen Baxter just sent out an email stating their side.   Mostly focuses on the safety (or lack there of) side of things.

Easy Rider is the name of my store in Edmonton, AB, Canada.
My name is Warren Currie . . . and we SUP Surf indoors . . . in a shopping mall!

southwesterly

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: October 08, 2014, 04:05:00 PM »
I get everybody's point, racing is racing. But if you have 30 people take of on a peeling left and go straight for the beach (with much carnage), why even have the race at a surf spot in the first place? There are miles and miles of closeout beach breaks in Southern California. Why not have it there and you can still have your exciting carnage and you would not have to impede on a very limited resource... surfable waves.

I can only equate it to having a kayak contest take over Steamer Lane and not any of the kayaks actually surfing the waves, just racing through them and crashing into each other in the process. It wouldn't go over very well with the local community, surf or otherwise. Once they made it a kayak SURF contest it was still a hard sell, but at least it made sense.  Surfable waves are a precious commodity in very populated urban areas. Would you close a crowded public golf course to run a marathon on the fairways and greens? The only thing that make sense about that entire video were the referees surfing in between the mass crashes and pile ups. I would sign up for that job in a second. I still think this video really shows our sport in a bad light. 
« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 04:13:04 PM by southwesterly »

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 08, 2014, 04:14:29 PM »
My first post in this thread talked about the lack of safety in bop -

"Hopefully the sport can resolve this sooner to avoid collisions so that competitors stay safe and know right of way rules in all scenarios."

Fading on a wave has limits - here Kai was pushing it.  Conner retaliated with his first huge cut-back to say go to shore dude!  Kai tried again to fade and Conner pulled a hard right go on top of the board.  Kai then retaliated by grabbing at the handle as he was going down.  Fading needs to clarified ie. go directly to shore and we will all be safe - hopefully.  All race strategy and tactics - this is normal in racing. Push the rules to the max and win the race without being DQ'd.

In yachting - in the wrong OR in the right - it is your duty to do EVERYTHING in your power to avoid colliding with a competitor.   Hmmmm?

Warren would know about emails - he provided input in the SB Touring design - which is fantastic btw.  Your advice to switch from your demo sprint to your demo carbon touring was spot on for us ;)

Many from our group have purchased boards from Easy.  He gives solid advice.

8)
Fast is FUN!   8)

Weasels wake

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 08, 2014, 04:20:53 PM »
I understand what you're saying SW, but it's only one day, and if anybody tries to take advantage of a peeling left or right, it's only going to delay their attempt at reaching the beach first, so you have to go straight, it's a race, not a wave contest.
It's all over with, and the beach has returned to normal, I'm sure there are very few complaints, and if there are, I'd have to say "suck it up buttercup" to whoever was put out on that one day, at that one spot.
It takes a quiver to do that.

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 08, 2014, 04:33:05 PM »
I understand what you're saying SW, but it's only one day, and if anybody tries to take advantage of a peeling left or right, it's only going to delay their attempt at reaching the beach first, so you have to go straight, it's a race, not a wave contest.
Not wanting to put words in southwesterly's mouth, but I think that supports his position.

southwesterly

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 08, 2014, 04:42:19 PM »
Not wanting to put words in southwesterly's mouth, but I think that supports his position.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Thank you Mr. PDX.

* Recent Posts

post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
foiled again
April 24, 2024, 08:00:16 PM
post Re: Sunova Ghost 8'10 SUP
[Classifieds]
kliss99
April 24, 2024, 05:01:39 AM
post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
PonoBill