Author Topic: BOP Crash Kai v Connor  (Read 58607 times)

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: BOP Crash Kai v Connor
« Reply #75 on: October 08, 2014, 04:19:47 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Chilly

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #76 on: October 08, 2014, 04:46:20 AM »
That was awesome. The boulder on the shore looked deadly! :o
NSP 2016 12'6 Surf Race Pro

PT Woody

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #77 on: October 08, 2014, 05:04:42 AM »

Read somewhere that Danny was yelling at the two to quit it and focus on the race. It looked like from some of the videos, Danny also almost got clipped by the shenanigans of both kids. Imagine if they crashed into him too.

To put a context on that, 3 or 4 years ago when Connor won his first BOP, he was trailing Danny and Jamie (I think), and as the lead pair caught a wave and were riding, Connor had to paddle his guts out to climb over the back of the wave to join them for the ride into the beach. If he missed that wave, he never would have stayed with them and would not go on to win. As he made the drop, Danny looked across and applauded him. No attempt to block, just total appreciation for the effort. Similarly Jamie's gesture to Caspar at the ISA world titles a couple years back. These older guys know where it's at. It's the damn kids who have lost all perspective.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 08, 2014, 05:45:54 AM »
These older guys know where it's at. It's the damn kids who have lost all perspective.

Or, has the sport just become that much more competitive.  Both Kai and Connor are great ambassadors of SUP and their current rivalry will only serve to elevate the sport.  Ultimately, they are competing for their own livelihood.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #79 on: October 08, 2014, 06:46:50 AM »
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Notice how much bigger the waves were at low tide during the open race. Great time to start the race. Notice how the announcer says everyone is coming out of the water with a smile on their face. "I guess if Sparky's paying you..." I got hit by a bunch of those boards. Funny thing, It hurt. Almost like a Jack Ass movie. 
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #80 on: October 08, 2014, 07:43:03 AM »
Any serious injuries?....amazing if not. That carnage was nuts. Watching some of those waves just swallow paddler after paddler....all those big boards flying..... :o
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

greatdane

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Paddle Surf Northwest
    • Email
« Reply #81 on: October 08, 2014, 07:44:05 AM »
I got wiped out on this buoy turn (I'm on the red Laird) I was pretty bummed because there was at least $20 in trophies on the line that day (-:
Kialoa Paddles
Fibre Glas Fin Co
OnIt! Pro
Monster And Sea Clothing

southwesterly

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 08, 2014, 08:18:56 AM »
It's no wonder they hate us. If it was surf contest that would be one thing. But to take over one of the premier surf spots on one of the last south swells of summer, just to watch top athletes cope with the conditions on the wrong equipment for the conditions? Not to take anything away from anybody that competed, but that video makes stand up look pretty bad.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 08:25:01 AM by southwesterly »

SeaMe

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 08, 2014, 08:35:15 AM »
The gal in Jersey 45 or 49, that is standing on the inside of her board, which is parallel to the beach and gets picked up by a wave, (at 2:54 in the vid): OUCH!

I don't surf and even I know rule number one is that you don't let a board get between you and wave.

It's no wonder they hate us. If it was surf contest that would be one thing. But to take over one of the premier surf spots on one of the last south swells of summer, just to watch top athletes cope with the conditions on the wrong equipment for the conditions? Not to take anything away from anybody that competed, but that video makes stand up look pretty bad.

I thought I read in a lead up article (I'll try to find the link) that the idea was that the surf would still be accessible to non-event folks between heats. Was that not the case?
« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 08:37:47 AM by SeaMe »
“I must be a mermaid, Rango. I have no fear of depths and a great fear of shallow living.” ― Anaïs Nin
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>
Fanatic Fly HRS 10'6"
Fanatic Ray HRS BVI 12'0" ヾ(@°▽°@)ノ

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 08, 2014, 08:42:16 AM »
That's a good one to know SeaMe, I expect to see you in out the surf next summer.

SW, let's not make excuses, beaches get shut down for all sorts of activities, no apologies for putting on a great (clean) event.

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 08, 2014, 10:01:37 AM »
I got wiped out on this buoy turn (I'm on the red Laird) I was pretty bummed because there was at least $20 in trophies on the line that day (-:
Greatdane--seeing that photo just confirms my decision to stay home that day due to the conditions.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #86 on: October 08, 2014, 10:03:07 AM »

What does the type of event have to do with it? Doesn't a surf event shut down access for those not competing? Wrong equipment?....it's a race. Run what ya brung! I don't think the video hurts SUP at all. I had to laugh at the Surfer forum comments about the coming carnage....like we all weren't hoping for some....part of what the BOP is known for.  In fact I think it shows that there are a lot of folks that have some serious gonads going for it.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

BWilliam

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Mongrel Combative Arts
    • Email
« Reply #87 on: October 08, 2014, 10:18:18 AM »
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

"Back home we got a ding repair man. He gonna have a heart attack when he see what I brung him!!"

;)
Will

greatdane

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Paddle Surf Northwest
    • Email
« Reply #88 on: October 08, 2014, 10:23:53 AM »
Greatdane--seeing that photo just confirms my decision to stay home that day due to the conditions.
Hahaha! Yeah it was epic that day Mike, and by epic I mean flat, warm and beautiful (-:
Kialoa Paddles
Fibre Glas Fin Co
OnIt! Pro
Monster And Sea Clothing

kayadogg

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #89 on: October 08, 2014, 10:39:02 AM »

What does the type of event have to do with it? Doesn't a surf event shut down access for those not competing? Wrong equipment?....it's a race. Run what ya brung! I don't think the video hurts SUP at all. I had to laugh at the Surfer forum comments about the coming carnage....like we all weren't hoping for some....part of what the BOP is known for.  In fact I think it shows that there are a lot of folks that have some serious gonads going for it.

I agree with Stoneaxe. I overheard many non-paddlers commenting on how they never knew stand up paddling could even take place in those types of conditions, they were amazed, in a good way. I feel like it actually impressed and captivated many who are not familiar with the sport and I don't mean just by the carnage. Colin McPhilips & the brown Blurr, among others, rode some bombs and didn't just go straight and hang on, they actually surfed a 12'6 board with beautiful turns and style. It was an impressive display of handling a board in that type of surf, it wasn't all about carnage. That being said, there were a number of injuries, rumors of broken jaws, broken noses, etc... which is not good, especially for any weekend warrior that would potentially be a future participant.

* Recent Posts

post Re: Sunova Ghost 8'10 SUP
[Classifieds]
kliss99
Today at 05:01:39 AM
post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
PonoBill
April 23, 2024, 07:55:28 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 07:26:43 PM
spindrift
April 23, 2024, 07:16:46 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 06:56:28 PM
post Need a new Impact Vest
spindrift
April 23, 2024, 06:36:51 PM
post Re: Ocean Rodeo Glide-Allula
kiteboarder
April 23, 2024, 06:06:50 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 04:22:52 PM
kiteboarder
April 23, 2024, 03:07:49 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 02:59:32 PM
Dwight (DW)
April 23, 2024, 02:41:07 PM
post Re: Erik Antonson interview with Stacy Peralta
[Random]
surfinJ
April 23, 2024, 01:34:42 PM
post Fanatic 8.3 Allwave
[Classifieds]
firesurf
April 23, 2024, 01:28:40 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 01:24:35 PM
post Re: At what age did you, or do you plan to retire?
[Random]
surfinJ
April 23, 2024, 01:24:13 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal