Author Topic: BOP Crash Kai v Connor  (Read 58352 times)

kayadogg

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: BOP Crash Kai v Connor
« Reply #30 on: October 06, 2014, 02:53:29 PM »
Headmount, I understand what you're saying and after watching and re-watching these videos, it's apparent that Kai grabbed Connor's board, which wasn't obvious in person.  What was obvious, however, was Connor cutting back into Kai, more than once. I'd have to lean towards Connor not accidentally overdoing a paddle drag, especially since there is video of him doing the same exact thing on an earlier wave but Kai is able to maintain control.  Not saying he was wrong and Kai was right... I'm sure there's a lot of unnoticed things between them that arise from that drive to be #1. When Connor pulled that cutback on Kai that made them both fall, everyone around me kind of gasped and began questioning Connor's move. I know there are two sides to every story, just saying.

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 06, 2014, 03:15:20 PM »
Watch from around 6:40 to get a pretty good perspective of what happens during bop races at the elite level.

http://www.totalsup.com/en/videos/item/444

The finish is pretty amazing too.

8)
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2014, 04:20:15 PM »
On the finish of a race last year, there was me and about 4 other guys all catching the same wave to the finish. It was maybe 3 to 4' mushers so you could easily go straight without having to get to far back. The guy to the far left (in his first race but an ex-lifeguard) decides he has position and goes right. He took out the guy next to me, then hit me but I was able to plow through it. Later he says " everyone hopped me on that right "(at the finish). I said, "it's a race, so you go straight to the shore. No one has position."
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2014, 05:17:20 PM »
On the finish of a race last year, there was me and about 4 other guys all catching the same wave to the finish. It was maybe 3 to 4' mushers so you could easily go straight without having to get to far back. The guy to the far left (in his first race but an ex-lifeguard) decides he has position and goes right. He took out the guy next to me, then hit me but I was able to plow through it. Later he says " everyone hopped me on that right "(at the finish). I said, "it's a race, so you go straight to the shore. No one has position."
Exactly.  Conner was probably pushing back at Kai who was pressing him off the wave.  When is a straighten out a cut back? 

Knew those board handles were a bad idea

juandoe

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 06, 2014, 05:26:22 PM »
I am impressed that Kai was able to grab the handle while going in.  The more I watch it, the funnier it gets.  Hopefully those two can laugh about it.

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 06, 2014, 05:41:27 PM »
Five guys in a line on a wave straight to shore - no one has position.  Reasonable.  Cutting left or right ..... Hmmm?  DQs happen all the time in other sports to keep competitors honest and others safe.  No one wants to get injured due to an "accident" ...

These are elite competitors heavily sponsored results based high achievers goal oriented.  ie. win.  Know a number of very decent local racers that have told me Danny Conner Kai etc are in another league.  Very impressive paddlers with exceptional balance endurance and strength to weight ratios.

8)
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

kayadogg

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: October 06, 2014, 05:51:42 PM »
Exactly.  Conner was probably pushing back at Kai who was pressing him off the wave.  When is a straighten out a cut back? 

It's pretty obvious that Connor's move was not simply straightening out. Someone of that caliber and skill level can straighten out without that drastic of a move to get in Kai's way. If he was only "straightening out", why not just say so when he talked about it Sunday morning when he said that both he and Kai should have been disqualified?
« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 05:53:15 PM by kayadogg »

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #37 on: October 06, 2014, 06:37:52 PM »
It's all give and take....the same kind of bumping, though not as extreme, was going on at the Ultimate SUP Showdown....positions were reversed though....Kai was slamming into the side of Connor's board with every stroke while both were scrambling.  I say let them sort it out. The bumping and carnage is what makes the BOP the BOP.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

southwesterly

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 06, 2014, 06:42:40 PM »
Has anybody noticed that this is almost the exact thing that Lance Burkart did to Rick Cain in the finals of the Pipeline Classic. Instead of a leash grab it's now a handle grab.

Coincidence that Kai has been coached by Lance himself? Wonder what Chandler thinks about this whole incident.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: October 06, 2014, 07:36:24 PM »

It's pretty obvious that Connor's move was not simply straightening out. Someone of that caliber and skill level can straighten out without that drastic of a move to get in Kai's way. If he was only "straightening out", why not just say so when he talked about it Sunday morning when he said that both he and Kai should have been disqualified?
Wasn't aware of the sunday morning confession.  How many hail marys for such an infraction? 

Didn't it appear to you that Kai was edging him off the wave?  I'm just going off the vid.

K-541`

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 06, 2014, 07:40:16 PM »
Yea ha I found the NASCAR channel

hbsteve

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 06, 2014, 07:50:29 PM »
At about the 7:40 mark, video shows Conner and at least one other paddler have their leashes attached at the waist.  Yeah, this subject belongs in another thread.  But, this video shows it...

kayadogg

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: October 06, 2014, 08:51:01 PM »

Wasn't aware of the sunday morning confession.  How many hail marys for such an infraction? 

Didn't it appear to you that Kai was edging him off the wave?  I'm just going off the vid.

Yes, Kai was most definitely edging him off the wave.  After re-watching multiple angles of the video many times, I can't blame Connor either, he's not just going to let Kai pull something like that and get away with it.  I guess this thread has made me realize that there's probably a lot more of this going on than I thought.   

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 06, 2014, 08:54:12 PM »
From my position (chief lifeguard platform, halfway up the hill) I saw Kai try to fade Connor off the wavw. There was a photographer next to me and I siad "keep shooting, Connor is going to board check Kai". I thought he would just shove him. Instead he whipped his board across Kai's board  fricken wild. Kai's grab at the handle was obvious   What wasn't so obvious is that all this ballet happened in a head high wave on race boards. These are not mere mortals.

I don't know about anyone else but I was shitting bricks every time I had to come in.

I made the mistake of practicing a lot of starts and finishes, but all on the sic 11'11". I did a lot of successful starts and one really bad one. I did lots of good finishes and two horrific ones. The part I didn't plan on was how long the hold down was.  Holt shit, who knew. The place is like the wedge for stay time. I was getting hungry by the time I got back to air.

All that aside, what a fun event. I had a blast. My only regret is I didn't get any of those awesome pitching waves on a surfboard. Mickie had the right idea. Don't go in circles. Surf that bugga.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: October 06, 2014, 09:23:16 PM »
Well wait to see how it goes at lower Kanaha this winter.  Thinking maybe some race gate pads they use for skiing.  Or explore elsewhere. 

Kai's lucky CB didn't rap his knuckles with the paddle as he reached for CB's strap.  If he had seen him making the move my bet is he would have.

Anyone know how it went when they hit the beach?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal