Author Topic: BOP Crash Kai v Connor  (Read 58351 times)

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: BOP Crash Kai v Connor
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2014, 09:33:42 AM »
In a pro race for money, if its not against the rules and it will help you win,  do it. If there,s a problem here, it is because there,s no rule against it.

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2014, 09:35:12 AM »
Whatever, it just looks basically like two young prats with more testosterone than brains doing what young men of that ilk do to each other every Saturday all round the world. It's just unusual in that alcohol was not involved.
No, they didn't hit the drink until after the crash.

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2014, 09:37:02 AM »
Let them play I say..  ;D

Looks like the dash cam may hold the answers.

Weasels wake

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2014, 09:41:39 AM »
"dash cam" LOL, rubbing fenders and trading paint, that's racing folks, and I like it.
It takes a quiver to do that.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2014, 10:53:55 AM »
Call me crazy, but it's hard to blame the guy who's closer to the curl and under the other guy's board. ;)

Let 'em go, they are the pros, and this is racing. In F1 they'd be praised providing "sport." They are young, strong and relatively well paid.

coldsup

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2014, 11:06:55 AM »
They should be rubbing up girls rather than their boards ;D.

55NSup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2014, 11:16:42 AM »
Imagine if that had been the world cup in football ( soccor).   8)

Kai would have flopped and Connor would have gotten a Red card. Kai just kept his cool and put his energy into the race. Good sportsmanship. Makes for good TV.  Perhaps that's what they are doing? 

PDLSFR

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2014, 11:35:40 AM »
Infinity RNB 8'2
Ron House 9'7
Ron House 10'7
Infinity New Deal 10'
Custom Infinity New Deal 10'
VEC 11'
Focus Bluefin 14'

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2014, 12:27:42 PM »
How about that race car driver, can't remember his name but it wasn't PBill, who ran over his competitor?  Fortunately for SUP it's adventures at slow speed.  They'd laugh about that in the NFL or even Pop Warner.

Subber

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2014, 12:42:25 PM »
There is a little more action prior to that sequence you can see at the 1:03 mark.
http://www.totalsup.com/en/videos/item/445

Looks like both were being aggressive.

Nice clip...you can see how good their balance is...everyone else is falling and they are bashing into each other
...cutting each other off several times and don't fall till the end.  I don't know the rules but they were each trying
to win.
Jimmy Lewis Black & Blue Noserider 10'1"x31"x4.25," 164 liters, 24 lbs, 1 box
Pearson Laird Surftech Longboard 10'6"x23"x29.75"x18"x4.375," 154 liters, 24 lbs, 3 boxes
Takayama Ali'i II Surftech 11'x21.375”x28.5”x17.25”x 4.25,” 162 liters, 26 lbs, 3 boxes

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2014, 01:04:55 PM »
There is a little more action prior to that sequence you can see at the 1:03 mark.
http://www.totalsup.com/en/videos/item/445

Looks like both were being aggressive.

Nice clip...you can see how good their balance is...everyone else is falling and they are bashing into each other
...cutting each other off several times and don't fall till the end.  I don't know the rules but they were each trying
to win.
Look at the sudden cut in front at 1:09--worse to me than what happened later in the other video.  But as you say they'd already been bashing together.  You could make an argument under my least favorite rules (SUPAA's) that both should have been disqualified for unsportsmanlike conduct (impeding forward progress).  But if you did that, you'd be opening up to scrutiny hundreds of typical moves, intentional or not, in a typical race.  In any racing sport I can think of, forcing your competitors wide, making them run in lane two, not letting them pass, etc. through body position is standard strategy and what separates racing from time trials.  Of course intentionally bashing bodies or gear is another matter, and even some of that is sometimes allowed.  So maybe paddling in front of someone and forcing them wide is fine (I'd say so) but trying to get them to stop by bashing your board onto theirs is not. 

I do think the rules--especially in terms of sportsmanship--should be somewhat looser at the front of the pack than at the back.  Doing better by making someone else do worse (sounds bad, but it happens in every sport that has defense, plus others like tennis) is more legitimate to me in racing at the front than at the back, or at a high-stakes race than at others. 

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2014, 01:08:52 PM »
Maybe Messala's (from Ben Hur) chariot blades on the side of the racing SUP, just chew the enemy's board up.
2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

kayadogg

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2014, 01:29:26 PM »
Here's a video from Matty Schweitzer that has some different angles of the incident.  Skip to 5:03 and you can see where they first start bumpin on a wave and then Connor does the first cutback into Kai (not the one that takes him down). Interesting screen shot of Kai clearly reaching to grab Connor's handle while Kelly French looks on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqUqVPtqnFU

I hope racing doesn't turn into appeals and replays after every race. The whole women's debacle with Annabel's and Sonni's penalties is another story but at least it's slightly more black & white since it was a matter of missing a buoy even though there were complaints that the course layout for the elite final was slightly different than the qualifying heats (which the women didn't have...).

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2014, 01:53:30 PM »
Seems like if there was a real dispute between the two it would have been officially protested.  The rules are the rules and bop races bring boards together often in heavy breaking surf.  No doubt that fade - position on the wave - board on bottom - all factor in to who was in the right.  Strategy and tactics play huge at elite levels of competition.  As the sport evolves the rules will evolve - right of way will get clearly sorted - just like in sailing and other sports.  Yes - sometimes it takes injury to bring the issues to bear.  Hopefully the sport can resolve this sooner to avoid collisions so that competitors stay safe and know right of way rules in all scenarios.

But yes the carnage was an eyeful.  Kudos to the participants as just completing would be a challenge to most.  The top performers - simply amazing skill power and endurance.  No doubt good sportsmanship and respect should be considered by all.

http://www.supracer.com/battle-of-the-paddle-live-blog/

8)
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2014, 02:20:11 PM »
Great vid of all the mayhem.  Gee what fun.

Studying the vid, it looked like Conner over did a paddle drag which popped his nose up.  It wasn't a fade but while CB's nose was high, Kai drove underneath him.  Kai went down grabbing CB's strap and causing CB to fall as well in a "if I'm going down, you're going down with me" move.  Was CB's tail sink on purpose?  He certainly doesn't go out of control very often. 

But the contact, they were both on the shoulder of the wave with a quick taper on CB's side.  He may have felt Kai was probably trying to squeeze him out of the wave and straightened an iota to remain in position. 

Watching the rest of the video it's apparent that the usual surfing rules of the road were not on the table in what was a race not a wave riding event.

Pretty cool to see.  Thanks Matty

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal