Author Topic: BOP Crash Kai v Connor  (Read 58350 times)

Piros

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • www.vonpiros.com
    • Email
BOP Crash Kai v Connor
« on: October 06, 2014, 01:28:36 AM »
This is pretty interesting Kai trying to fade Connor and Connor steps his board onto Kai's bringing them both down. Who's at fault or is this just racing. I'm sure a lot worse happens on the turn buoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhyua2dc08s
« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 01:31:02 AM by Piros »
Von Piros Productions
Land Behind, Fish Below, Stories Ahead

Muskoka SUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: BOP Crash Kai v Connor
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2014, 03:26:24 AM »
Sort of looks like Kai grabbed Conner's board as he fell in at the last second..   Or maybe not. 
It ain't over until the fat board sinks....

Piros

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • www.vonpiros.com
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2014, 03:55:48 AM »
Yeah I was thinking maybe Kai was grabbing for his board or to stop a head hit .
Von Piros Productions
Land Behind, Fish Below, Stories Ahead

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2014, 05:44:59 AM »
Didn't Kai technically have priority on that wave?

Whatever, it just looks basically like two young prats with more testosterone than brains doing what young men of that ilk do to each other every Saturday all round the world. It's just unusual in that alcohol was not involved.

Hard to say who was in the wrong. There's enough wiggle-room in the video footage that you could argue it many ways. But it looks likely that if the Steinfath-Mitchell high-five in Peru last year was a high point in sportsmanship for SUP, then this is a new low point. If I owned Starboard or Naish I'd not be too happy about this.

In general, I think that while this BOP may have been the most spectacular for spectators so far, the sheer carnage will have put off a lot of people from these kind of races, and this display of bad sportsmanship will just add to that. What if Kai or Connor had suffered a serious head injury in this coming-together?

NEplay

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2014, 05:52:48 AM »

Whatever, it just looks basically like two young prats with more testosterone than brains doing what young men of that ilk do to each other every Saturday all round the world. It's just unusual in that alcohol was not involved.

Funny and true.
New England Is My Playground

SaMoSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2014, 05:56:27 AM »
It was payback for when Connor faded Kai and others out in previous events. And kudos to Kai for addressing this directly in the post race interview admitting they were bumping boards as they do in other comps. Probably averted any protest from Connor. Smart kid this Kai is.

If this were any other racers they would have been DQ.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 06:00:10 AM by SaMoSUP »

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2014, 06:27:10 AM »
I get the feeling there is no love lost between these two. For all i really know they could be best buds, just a feeling I get from seeing them compete. Not the 1st time they've rubbed and I've noticed that unlike other competitors they don't seem to congratulate one another at the finish line. Certainly not with the smiles you see others giving each other. They are obviously both vying for the top spot and all that it entails. They grew up on the same island and have been each others biggest competitor pretty much their whole life. They both seem like good people but that has to color your attitude.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2014, 07:15:48 AM »
You can see more of the buildup to that action here. Looks like Connor tried it on twice.:
   http://youtu.be/ihWFtOdnz4k?t=1m3s

I was also a bit surprised at Connors move shutting Kai out in the Huntington beach race finals.

I'm sure there's some history behind this but Connor does appear to be the aggressor in these last two events.

Shame, it's getting a bit more aggressive than is cool. Good on Kai for keeping it cool in the interviews.

supgobes

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2014, 07:28:01 AM »
It certainly does look like Kai grabbed Connor's board.  Connor was talking to people about the grab on Sunday morning and was not very happy about it.  Connor said that maybe both of them should be DQ'd so that doesn't happen again. 

I also thought that Connor made a good point in saying that it's a race and he needs to get to the beach.

I've read some of Connor's race reports where he accuses Kai of playing dirty.

Ironically, in the premier of the The SUP Movie Saturday night there is a segment on Kai and Connor's rivalry and how they, according to Connor, "leave the blood in the water".  The film shows them congratulating each other on a few occasions.

I'm not trying to take sides, just reporting what I heard and saw.

RATbeachrider

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2014, 07:29:57 AM »
Reminded me of Potter vs. Gerlach circa 1991.

supdiscobay

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2014, 07:32:56 AM »
Conner took a a steep angle very early and Kai followed and just took advantage of it.  If Conner had  not taken that angle then he would not have had to "correct" his alignment.
I thought it was great racing and I don't think Conner was thinking tactfully when they caught that wave. But, Kai was ready.
As far as board grabbing goes, on a wave that size, I am going to try to grab my board or someone elses if I think I am going to get bonked.
8'5" Starboard Pocket Rocket, 8'0" Kazuma Fugu custom,  8'10" Kings Sidewinder, 10' Starboard Noserider, 14' BARK Carbon Dominator, SIC F16 V3, KeNalu and Quickblade paddles, 19' Eaton Prone, 67" Goode 9700

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2014, 07:43:58 AM »
Let them play I say..  ;D

Fog City Rider

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2014, 08:28:00 AM »
It looked to me like Kai was using his better position to steer Connor off the mark, and Connor reacted.  Kai's board grab also looks completely on purpose, and... justified.  If you're gonna knock me off, you're coming with me! 
San Diego, CA
10'0 Naish Nalu Pro (2017 version)
9'0 Pearson Arrow Laird custom
9'3 Pearson Arrow custom (prone)
9'8 Takayama In the Pink (prone)

juandoe

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2014, 09:18:32 AM »
There is a little more action prior to that sequence you can see at the 1:03 mark.
http://www.totalsup.com/en/videos/item/445

Looks like both were being aggressive.

southwesterly

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2014, 09:26:12 AM »
Seems like everybody was in a big hurry.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal