Author Topic: BOP Crash Kai v Connor  (Read 58575 times)

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
Re: BOP Crash Kai v Connor
« Reply #150 on: October 10, 2014, 06:59:56 AM »
Ahh, you've pulled out the nuclear Ornstien. I have long wondered when we'd see that again. I do want to learn to do that in my OC1

I'll learn with you and we could syncronize.  That way we'll be prepared if a SUP hating surfer ever asks, "is there anything gayer than that?".

We could then reply, "there is something we'd like you to see".

coldsup

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: October 10, 2014, 07:11:46 AM »
Ahh, you've pulled out the nuclear Ornstien. I have long wondered when we'd see that again. I do want to learn to do that in my OC1

If there's ever a PR battle between Kai and Conner it will go like this: Kai wins, Connor heads in the wrong direction, then falls off. His heart is in the right place, but he needs coaching. Or an editor. Fifteen minutes with iMovie and anyone could make that video sing.

Both of these guys are so likeable it hurts. A few zillion people want a slice of each of them. Rock, movie and sports stars don't turn to shit because of some deep internal conflict. They go sideways because so many people want so many things, judge them constantly, and screw them so many ways. At least when the Aztecs demanded perfection from their human gods, they only required it for a year. Of course then they cut their hearts out and let them roll down a pyramid.

Progress!

They are young guys who need some coaching - (well Connor does!). They are in that horrible place of becoming bigger celebs and stars where there is so much more to just doing their sport. If they are genuinely good folk then that will come through and they will get a better ride from the media. All top sports folks need good teams behind them...

SaMoSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: October 10, 2014, 07:47:53 AM »
Connor stepped up to the mic...RESPECT.

MAD RESPECT to Kai for catching up and winning the race. Handlegate or not, he actually beat the guys, Danny & Jake, who were leading the race despite getting wiped out and falling behind. Almost as good a feat as Danny finishing 2nd in the qualifying heat despite breaking his board.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: October 10, 2014, 08:26:33 AM »
No lack of respect for Kai, the guy is just amazing, but the waves were the big leveler. You could be a long way behind when a big set came on the run in and suddenly you're tied for first. Kai had a remarkable strategy riding the last wave in that looked totally wrong when he started into the wave, but turned out to be absolutely right. And it weakens Connor's argument--he went left when Danny and Jake went right into what looked like the best shoulder, but the converging wave angles actually made a fade to left into a much longer and more powerful ride in, that left Kai at the finish line. It's how he won, and it's a legitimate argument against Connors claim that Kai was just trying to boot him out of the wave.

I sound like a Kai fanboy. I'm not. I love the guy and his giant bag of talent and learned skill, but I like Connor even more. Kai comes with sophisticated packaging and looks that could open doors anywhere. Positively Kai? Holy crap. If I came up with that branding I'd print it on my forehead. Connor is still growing into his role. Both of them are amazing people from outstanding families. What's not to like.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 08:30:53 AM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: October 10, 2014, 08:40:50 AM »
SUP and BOP evolution before your eyes - from young kids no less ...
Off the chart talent with some growing up to do.

8)
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: October 10, 2014, 08:45:40 AM »

I'll learn with you and we could syncronize.  That way we'll be prepared if a SUP hating surfer ever asks, "is there anything gayer than that?".

We could then reply, "there is something we'd like you to see".

Uh oh. Sounds like a hell of a plan. Synchronized freestyle OC1. I"m pretty certain we could be the seven time world champions in just seven years.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #156 on: October 10, 2014, 09:03:20 AM »
SUP and BOP evolution before your eyes - from young kids no less ...
Off the chart talent with some growing up to do.

8)

+1...we all have to remember how we might have handled something like this at that age.....Oh wait...I'm STILL not as mature as these two.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

SeaMe

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: October 10, 2014, 01:37:22 PM »
“I must be a mermaid, Rango. I have no fear of depths and a great fear of shallow living.” ― Anaïs Nin
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>
Fanatic Fly HRS 10'6"
Fanatic Ray HRS BVI 12'0" ヾ(@°▽°@)ノ

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: October 10, 2014, 01:47:18 PM »

:o

With a little more carnage, this would be an good spectator contest.  Music would need to be heavy metal, though.

I was actually trying to figure out the oar physics, there, it is kind of interesting.
2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

SaMoSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: October 10, 2014, 02:24:16 PM »
We should invite this guy to Salt Creek next year as in between races entertainment.

With a name like Ornstein he better be good with an oar.

mastman

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #160 on: October 10, 2014, 02:44:04 PM »
Now I know where this came from:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/-OVpSpmXVo8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Quiver=
9'4" Hobie CM
12'6" Starboard Race
14' King's Race

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: October 10, 2014, 03:31:27 PM »
Wow, they should have had Ornstein stunt double.

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: October 10, 2014, 06:12:55 PM »
We should invite this guy to Salt Creek next year as in between races entertainment.

With a name like Ornstein he better be good with an oar.

Maybe his name is Oaron-stein.
2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: October 10, 2014, 07:51:40 PM »
At around 6:10 looks like Danny takes a header and drops his paddle - note to next year's competitors - make sure you do not throw away a second place opportunity by sprinting to the line sans paddle!  Danny made good and killed in the distance though - major major power stroke still keeps him always right there - even if he is classified by the kids as a senior ... Kudos.

http://www.totalsup.com/en/videos/item/446

8)
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: October 10, 2014, 08:34:58 PM »
Yet, I think it is fantasy to think that a serious injury or death won't occur if future races continue under similar conditions.  There were times when 5 or 6 boards were fully airborne. A couple of javelins & bullets literally became javelins & bullets. 

I think that video only validates what the haters think of us... That SUP's are unwieldy in the surf and that we can't control our boards in the line up. Both of those points are made perfectly clear in that highlight reel. Most people don't even know that they are on race boards. If I wanted to ban SUP's at crowded surf spots, I would use that video as evidence that they don't belong. It just makes stand up in the surf look really bad in my opinion.
I'm still having a hard time seeing how far apart these two views are.

pdx... I hope I am not misconstruing southwesterly's point. However, my sense is that he feels that 25 racers sharing a wave at once is unseemly.  I feel otherwise. I think it actually adds immeasurably to the excitement of the race.  I just think that the safety issues inherent to this type of course should be considered before, not after, a tragedy occurs.
You may be reading more into it than is there, but then again I may be reading too little into it.  Reason I put the two quotes together is if pro-SUP people are talking about the videos showing conditions that could result in injuries, that reinforces the validity of southwesterly's comments about the potential for the videos to be used to show SUPs are unwieldy, etc.   I really have no opinion one way or another about where the race should be.  I agree about the excitement, and pretty much all the things people have said were positive about the race and the venue. 

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
Today at 12:51:49 PM
post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
Today at 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard