Author Topic: Amundson 14' TRT or SIC F14  (Read 7956 times)

Lakeshore1

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
Amundson 14' TRT or SIC F14
« on: September 28, 2014, 05:10:16 AM »
Does anyone here have any experience on the Amundson 14' TRT? I am looking for another good board for speed as well as downwinding. I am currently paddling an SIC F14 and a 14' 404 Zeedonk Green Label. My son and i have been doing more downwinders (when conditions permit) as well as general paddling, and the 404, while fast, is not stable enough for me in rougher conditions. I love the looks of the 14' TRT and feel that it could be a great board for just about any conditions,  including downwinders.

Anyone have some thoughts? Should i just stay with what i already know works, which is the F14.

Thanks

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Amundson 14' TRT or SIC F14
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2014, 05:17:58 AM »
I was impressed enough with the Amundsen to buy one. It the first 14 I've tried that trimmed well for my weight. I thought it might be as fast as my f16 but it's still a 14 so it came in between the f16 ans my 12'2". Right where you'd expect but I was hoping for a miracle

I think it would be strong competition for an f14. I went for the carbon version. Very light, very pretty.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Lakeshore1

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2014, 06:09:30 AM »
Thanks P Bill. Do you ever downwind with it? I know you do a fair amount of downwinders. How does the nose react when it buries into the backside of a wave? Do you feel the TRT will feel as stable as my F14? My 18 year old son fell in love with my SIC F14. I want to be sure i buy something that will be very close in performance to the SIC.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2014, 04:10:53 PM »
I did three viento down winds with it, it did very well, but I'm a big board guy so I swapped it for a bullet 17.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

robon

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2014, 07:01:30 PM »
I think PB has the Amundson TR-X 14, which is two inches narrower than TR-T and 35 litres less volume.

The title states TRT, so just thought I would mention that.

I actually just took the Amundson TR-T out for a demo today for a few hours.  Conditions were sloppy and choppy with swell ranging around 2.5 to 3 feet, and it calmed down quite a bit by the time I was done. If it is the TR-T you are referring to, it is a VERY stable board and goes much better than I thought it would in rough, open water. If I had any advice to give on Amundson boards in the 14' range, it's don't judge the board by the classic displacement look. Last year's Amundson 14 TR-X was very well received for open water paddling (all over North America) and this years is getting praise too. Not much out there for reviews on the TR-T yet. Anyways, these are user friendly boards that work well in rough water.

The TR-T worked great for me today in side on chop (2-3ft) for extended periods, and I was able to keep a bearing easily without having to do any balance checks at all. Going upwind, the nose was really going under in 3 foot waves, and I stepped back behind the handle so the nose wasn't piercing as deep and this worked well. Coming back, the wind started to slow, but I was still able to pick up some good glides. The TR-T picks up glides nicely and when I buried the nose there wasn't any noticeable self steering and the nose popped up quickly. In smaller swell like I was on today, you can get away with not stepping back because the board handles really well, but it definitely helps to get back a bit when the nose starts to go under.

For reference, I'm around 210-215 pounds right now. I took some pictures of the board and will resurrect an old thread I started when I have time.   

Lakeshore1

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2014, 09:22:10 AM »
Thanks for the information robon.... sounds like i would not be disappointed in the TRT. The TRT has some stuff competition from my SIC F14, and i have dubbed it the "magic" board, because it catches a glide so easy it's almost un-natural.

robon

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2014, 11:28:53 AM »
Do you have the SIC wide glide 14'?

Personally, if you are looking for flat water speed and downwind ability, I would go with the TR-X. It's narrower by 2 inches and several pounds lighter than the TR-T 14. I was more interested in the TRT for an expedition board that's not a total anchor for flat water. I haven't tried the 2014 TR-X 14 yet, but it should be faster than the TRT on the flats. I have been on the TR-X 12'6" and it was plenty stable, but didn't have enough float for me when I was digging hard in anything other than flat water.  Last year's 14 TRX was stable, so I don't see this years being any different in that department except for having less rocker, so it should go better on the flats. They are great boards. 

Lakeshore1

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2014, 05:10:00 PM »
Yeah, i have the SIC F14 and i LOVE  it. I also have a 14' 404 Zeedonk Green Label. I love the Zeedonk for flat conditions and downwinding in small chop.
I am looking for a board that may give a bit more flat water speed, while still being able to catch waves. My F14 catches waves ridiculously easy. I know i am asking for a lot by trying to find a "do-all" kind of board. The shop where i buy most of my stuff has a TRT 14' that i think i can get pretty reasonable. But, if there's any doubt, i will get another F14.

robon

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2014, 07:13:17 PM »
Some pics I took. Too bad I didn't have a go pro for when it was a little bigger earlier in the day so you could have a general idea of how the nose reacts when it goes under/hits the next swell.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 07:21:37 PM by robon »

robon

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2014, 07:19:56 PM »
As per another thread where I was mentioning the damage on the underside of the board. You can really see the damage when the sun hits it. The shop employee says it was heat damage from a hot water pipe. They showed me where the board was hanging, and how the pipe made contact.

You be the judge. Compression damage or heat damage? Either way it's worse than I thought, and the damage is in the worst possible spot. Seemed to paddle okay and I'm not sure if this would impact water flow under the board significantly or not?

photofr

• Peahi Status
  • Dakine… fun
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Outdoor Photography
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2014, 01:53:41 AM »
One way to know for sure if it's slowing you down is to create another damage and then measure speed difference.
A better way would be to compare the speed once fixed, or with the exact same board (without the damage).

My best guess: it's slowing you down some - more than you think. The worst part isn't slowing you down though.
The integrity of the board (its overall strength) may be affected. Catch a wave and bottom out could prove disastrous with a heavy person on the board. There's a lot of torc exerted on water crafts as they reach the bottom of a wave, just like a surfski.

Did you buy it this way ?
Nelo SUP - 14' x 23"
Nelo Surfski 560M - 18'4" x 17"

robon

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2014, 08:24:59 AM »
One way to know for sure if it's slowing you down is to create another damage and then measure speed difference.
A better way would be to compare the speed once fixed, or with the exact same board (without the damage).

My best guess: it's slowing you down some - more than you think. The worst part isn't slowing you down though.
The integrity of the board (its overall strength) may be affected. Catch a wave and bottom out could prove disastrous with a heavy person on the board. There's a lot of torc exerted on water crafts as they reach the bottom of a wave, just like a surfski.

Did you buy it this way ?

No, I didn't buy it. Was thinking about it at the shop, but once I got the board in the sun, the damage was much easier to notice, and it seems pretty bad. The shop discounted the board, and then relegated it to the rental fleet because no one was interested in buying it. Coming down a wave exerts a lot of force, but I was also thinking punching through upwind, or slapping over oncoming waves exerts a lot of force on the board as well. The damaged portion is probably a few millimetres deep in spots at least, so there would be some water turbulence I suppose. If the damage was going the length of the board it would probably be cause less interference with water flow, and wouldn't compromise the integrity of the board nearly as much. Oh well.

Lakeshore1

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2014, 04:49:08 AM »
 Getting a bit closer to making a decision on a board. I still like the Amundson TR-T. I went to the Sup shop near me on Tuesday to look at the Amundson a bit closer. If it's not snowing like a bugger, and we can find open water, my son a i are going to give the Amundson a  try at the annual Shiver on the River. I am anxious to see how the Amundson looks, while sitting on the water. And also how it sits when I'm standing on it. This will be primarily for my son, as much as he loves the SIC, that will be my downwind board and the Amundson will be his downwinder board. If the Amundson is faster on flat water than the SIC, I'll use that on flat water, when i go out alone.

If anyone has any new input on the Amundson, or another 14' board for ALL conditions, I'd be interested in looking at other options.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal