Author Topic: Surfing Raceboards is FUN!  (Read 43696 times)

mik911

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: Surfing Raceboards is FUN!
« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2014, 09:11:26 PM »
BARK Team surfing race boards:
<iframe src="//player.vimeo.com/video/23708655" width="500" height="281" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe> <p><a href="">Events: BOP Hawaii with the Bark Team - Surf and Paddle</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/finfilms">Fin Film Company</a> on <a href="https://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>

Mike

Ron House Coastal Cruiser 12'6"
Hoe Nalu surf sup  10'6"
BARK 14' custom carbon SUP
Fanatic Fly Race 12'6" carbon SUP
BARK 14' prone custom paddleboard
BARK 12' prone Surftech paddleboard
Longboards: Harbour, Becker, Local Motion
Kneeboards: Cleary 5'10"
Handboard: Brownfish

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 06, 2014, 04:50:56 PM »
The Dominator is fairly versatile and can surf when called upon.

http://youtu.be/bdYvvor4oDk

Acceleration is good catching waves but prefer the stability and ease pearling of the Bullet 14v2 downwind in breeze.  Both are about the same width weight and volume with completely different design concepts.  Both Joe and Mark are to be commended in creating fast stable boards that do not require elite balance.

8)

Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2014, 06:59:38 PM »
I had some fun long rides on my 14 on Saturday. Almost wish I hadn't brought it though since I paddled 3 miles to an outer bar only to find chaos. The surfing on the way back was fun though and caught some real long rides. Of course if I had just waited for the tide to drop instead of paddling the 3 miles I'd have surfed a lot more.

The feel of surfing the 14 is so different. I love mixing it all together. Jumping on my 9'er after 4 hours on the 14 was a bit weird though. It took a few waves to shift back to short....I almost pulled myself off the board and pearled the 1st couple of waves... :P
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2014, 09:43:07 PM »
This is what happened to me when I took a 14'DW board out in 6' surf.  What you can't see is the section setting up 50 yds down the line.  Tried to high line it, leaned in, stuck the blade in the wave.  My body turned but not the board. 

Just a little rocker tho and it'd be good.

SJV_SUP

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 06, 2014, 10:42:30 PM »
This is what happened to me when I took a 14'DW board out in 6' surf.  What you can't see is the section setting up 50 yds down the line.  Tried to high line it, leaned in, stuck the blade in the wave.  My body turned but not the board. 

Looks like you're attempting a barefoot waterski dis-mount ;D

blueplanetsurf

• Site Sponsor
  • Teahupoo Status
  • Hawaii's SUP HQ
    • View Profile
    • Blue Planet Surf
« Reply #35 on: October 06, 2014, 11:49:37 PM »
That's a great sequence headmount.  Did you recover the cap?
Robert Stehlik
Blue Planet Surf Shop, Honolulu
Hawaii's SUP HQ
http://www.blueplanetsurf.com

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #36 on: October 07, 2014, 06:12:40 AM »
I love that pic. Go pro shots of wipeouts are often more interesting than when you make it.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

ninja tuna

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 07, 2014, 08:14:37 PM »
Those videos are great!  I have only kinda surfed my X14 on one small race I did at beach but it was only like knee high and a quick little beach break.  Florida does not have a lot of those long rides like in the videos. There are a few but you gotta kinda know where to look.  I use my PSH 12'6" hull paddler when condotions get like that on the outside sandbars near me.  Just cruising on non breaking waves and then pulling out before the shore break.  Kinda want try a Jimmy Lewis M14 just for doing things like that.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #38 on: October 20, 2014, 05:47:59 PM »
I actually did take my 14 into the lineup a bit on Saturday when it got smaller at low tide. Stayed well away from everyone for the most part though except for one guy on a surf kayak that tried desperately to drop in on me once. One mistake though....I removed the pad I used to have on her in preparation for a makeover that got postponed and I replaced it with a smaller temporary mosaic for the CCBC so there is nothing back on the tail.....just realized I should've left that fall on the vid.....kind of funny...stepped back and ZIP! So not much real turning and no real long rides....we have a few spots like that here but Nantasket is not one of them. I was pretty much just straight down the line and having to bail at the end before running out of water....could not get the nose up and out without getting back. I still got a big ding in the nose. She's going in for that makeover now for sure. Getting Larry's twins added to the tail.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnVPj2H6tXo
Bob

blueplanetsurf

• Site Sponsor
  • Teahupoo Status
  • Hawaii's SUP HQ
    • View Profile
    • Blue Planet Surf
« Reply #39 on: October 23, 2014, 12:40:00 AM »
Nice Stoneaxe, those waves look fun, good down the line speeding.
Robert Stehlik
Blue Planet Surf Shop, Honolulu
Hawaii's SUP HQ
http://www.blueplanetsurf.com

supthecreek

« Reply #40 on: October 27, 2014, 08:00:54 AM »
Gives new meaning to "Stoney's BIG adventure" I may have to make a sequel ;D ;D

Looks like you had a blast!

Question:
One thing I noticed in all the "Carnage" videos from BOP, it seems like the narrow boards always roll over and present the fin before the rider gets clear. Is that a problem?

I imagine the big, sturdy fin of a race board, has got to share certain qualities with a Guillotine.

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 27, 2014, 01:24:59 PM »
Gives new meaning to "Stoney's BIG adventure" I may have to make a sequel ;D ;D

Looks like you had a blast!

Question:
One thing I noticed in all the "Carnage" videos from BOP, it seems like the narrow boards always roll over and present the fin before the rider gets clear. Is that a problem?

I imagine the big, sturdy fin of a race board, has got to share certain qualities with a Guillotine.
Something to think about before switching to an aluminum fin.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #42 on: October 27, 2014, 02:43:54 PM »
It was fun....once I get her fixed up and do a new pad I'll actually be able to surf her and get back on the tail. I also need to stop the hopping around....I've been getting into a bad habit doing that instead of walking.

I'll have to get some vids from a couple of spots that make this kind of ride shine. I did a surprise surf session with the CCBC crew at one of them. What was supposed to be distance training paddle for the 2011 crossing quickly turned into a surf session when we found waves. It actually turned into both a great surf session and a great training session. A conservative guesstimate using google maps was rides around 1500'. Fun, fun ride, then a long sprint back for another. I modified this image a bit to not make it obvious but there is actually a landmark to go by that nails where it was breaking...it was really starting just to the north and outside that boat entering the channel on the right.

On the carnage...I think a lot of what you see is the nose getting stuffed and the tail kicking up and out and then thrown sideways. Definitely happened a lot and was pretty freaky looking in the crowds of the BOP. I did have the wrong fin in it during the vid. I had Larry's Gladiator which could def be a guillotine. The board surfs much better with the Chill in it.
Bob

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 27, 2014, 03:34:13 PM »

With a little more effort you could have run over the back of that wave.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SUPJorge

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: May 20, 2015, 02:26:53 PM »
Hi all, In between DW's I've been having fun taking the SIC14V2 into the Miami beachbreak surf/mush but was wondering if changing fins would improve the board's maneuverability ("loosen up the back some"). Specifically, would swapping out the stock weedless (http://www.sicmaui.com/fins) for the attached fin have the desired effect? If so, why not use it all the time? Thanks in advance.
14' SIC Bullet V2 - 9'1" Naish Hokua X32 LE

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal