Author Topic: Surfing Raceboards is FUN!  (Read 43708 times)

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
Re: Surfing Raceboards is FUN!
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2014, 10:25:54 AM »
That's just about the perfect board for it. You need to get it up to max speed as the wave approaches so you start paddling for it much earlier and get ready to walk, trim is everything. Probably more width than you need but if its fast enough that will make it easier if anything. I'm 265 and my Vec 14' is 28". I have one of Larry's CHill race fins in it. A leash that will get you far enough out to trim and heavy duty....big board more mass. I use a heavy Dakine 12'er. Just make sure nobody is anywhere near you if it goes south....that's potentially 26' or more of reach.

I guarantee the 1st time you do it you'll be wearing a shit eating grin all day....kinda like this.... ;D...... 8)
« Last Edit: September 27, 2014, 10:35:55 AM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

madmax

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2014, 10:51:10 AM »
Thanks man!  Appreciate the response.

I just checked and there's no leash plug on the damn thing.  WTF!  I hate glass work. 

The Kernel

• Sunset Status
  • Dana Point, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2014, 11:03:05 AM »
Wow, if a picture is worth a thousand words, then you couldn't put a number on those videos.

Thanks for posting them.  They definitely opened my mind, as I have been only surfing on shorter planing boards and never really considered surfing on longer racing/touring type boards. 

Now I think I need to get a new longer board, and a less narrow mind.

Two minute ride on a small day?!!  Consider me a convert....
« Last Edit: September 27, 2014, 11:27:49 AM by The Kernel »
Kernel:  Cutting through the bull**it.
"This is the kernel of the argument."

Over 50, but usually pushing it like I'm 25 and paying for it later.

8'0 L41 Simsup
9'2" T. Patterson Rising Sun
9'2" Riviera Nugg Turbo Carbon
10' Riviera Machete

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2014, 12:15:06 PM »
These guys knew this way back then.....
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2014, 11:48:57 AM »
And now the counter point.

Surf all you want but If you're going to race track catching the outside bombs and skunking everyone inside without regard for sharing, I may have to have a discussion...or worse.  Had this exact thing happen a couple of times. with a group of about 3 race board riders catching everything three zip codes before anyone else and then just riding them straight.  Have a fun ride but I'm gonna catch the shoulder and have some fun while you torpedo toward the beach, and hopefully you can turn that barge.

(seriously, just like I have no business mucking up shortboarders waves and wouldn't out of respect...sharing and common sense should rule the day)

supnorte

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • SUP Norte
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2014, 02:52:53 AM »
Had a great session with a mate last week during Starboard Dealers Meeting in Spain. We woke up at 6 a. m., picked up the new (from 2015) All-Star 14'0 (him) and Race 14'0 (me) and paddle along the coast. As we were paddling back we saw some good clean and small waves and went for it. Really fun. And I didn't had the feeling of being on a 14'0 board.

I also had a couple of sessions with a SIC Bullet 12'6 SCC at my home spot on small days. And I can carve the beast!

blueplanetsurf

• Site Sponsor
  • Teahupoo Status
  • Hawaii's SUP HQ
    • View Profile
    • Blue Planet Surf
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2014, 08:35:10 AM »
And now the counter point.

Surf all you want but If you're going to race track catching the outside bombs and skunking everyone inside without regard for sharing, I may have to have a discussion...or worse.  Had this exact thing happen a couple of times. with a group of about 3 race board riders catching everything three zip codes before anyone else and then just riding them straight.  Have a fun ride but I'm gonna catch the shoulder and have some fun while you torpedo toward the beach, and hopefully you can turn that barge.

(seriously, just like I have no business mucking up shortboarders waves and wouldn't out of respect...sharing and common sense should rule the day)

Good point SlatchJim, use a race board to go to remote spots and surf on waves that nobody else can or wants to surf on, don't use raceboards to "steal" waves at regular, crowded spots, that is uncool.
Robert Stehlik
Blue Planet Surf Shop, Honolulu
Hawaii's SUP HQ
http://www.blueplanetsurf.com

supthecreek

« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2014, 09:46:04 AM »
Forgot about this one from Oz.... ripping OH on a racer!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hi_KfOEUyFQ#t=30

madmax

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2014, 10:11:32 AM »
SlatchJim, for me the whole appeal to it is NOT being in a crowded lineup.  New water to enjoy.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2014, 10:53:03 AM »
Yeah...a lineup is the last place for a 14'er.

I'm looking for a great pic I have of Mikelefty from 2010....he was carving it up on his old Bark before the 1st Wellfleet Supathalon. Crazy skills, I'd have a hard time paddling it on glass.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2014, 11:37:16 AM »
Here's a repost of an old movie I did a few years back when I first learned how to use a rudder board.  Funny watching it now but it goes with this post.  PBill and I do much bigger swells (but not big) outside the harbor.  Big boards have their limits.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EG27aVjwPQ

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2014, 06:07:17 PM »
I love that vid.....feels like I'm watching an old time documentary.

Here's the pic of ML....I don't think that Bark is a 14 though now that I look at it....12'-something?
Bob

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2014, 10:53:29 AM »
SlatchJim, for me the whole appeal to it is NOT being in a crowded lineup.  New water to enjoy.
As I would expect from our well educated and common sensical viewership.  Hell, if I had one that day, I would have made the quick jaunt to the outside reef that was breaking and had the whole place to myself too.  You're spot on, avoid the crowds and enjoy your buddies all on your own.  Doesn't get better than that.

(But Doheny, on a weekend - cringeworthy)

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2014, 01:48:20 PM »

I just checked and there's no leash plug on the damn thing.  WTF!  I hate glass work.

Install a couple of the NSI or Surfco glue on plugs.
Bob

madmax

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2014, 05:29:51 PM »

Install a couple of the NSI or Surfco glue on plugs.

That's a great idea.  Thanks!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal