Stand Up Paddle > Technique

Surfing Raceboards is FUN!

(1/16) > >>

blueplanetsurf:
Here a a couple of videos we shot at our weekly coaching group last week.  Coaching topic: Surfing on Raceboards.
Part one is on the beach coaching, the sound quality is not the best, sorry.  The second one is on the water with some great footage of our surfing session while the sun was setting.

Part 1- on land coaching
http://youtu.be/kkKtU_4KvAI

Part 2- on the water with voiceover. 
http://youtu.be/53-w03UfB5w

TallDude:
Nice videos as always Robert. I have a lot of fun surfing my 14' race board. A few weeks ago StandingDan and I went for a little distance paddle then mixed it up with some race board surfing. I my book, it's the perfect blend of cardio-then-fun. All the movements are in slow motion compared to a short surf SUP. You can make some big long bottom turns, head back to a high line and let the nose slide down again. Part of the fun of surfing race boards is taking the energy that is captured by that big board, and controlling it. Your right about a the strong leash too. I took a dive on a closeout, and the leash didn't stand a chance between my 240# and the big board getting rolled. I went for a swim with part of a coiled leash still attached to my ankle, holding my hat, throwing my paddle, and getting dragged down by my hip mounted water pack. Good thing I only had a 100 yds or so to swim.

BTW, I met Jenny the other day in Dana Point. We swapped boards, she paddled my unlimited and I paddled her Dark Horse. She said, "If a big guy like me can paddle her board, Robert should be able to." Not sure what that meant? Any way, she has a great spirit! Big Aloha.

stoneaxe:
Nice....I frequently will bring my 14 along when I head out for surf. Particularly for long flat beach breaks like we have here at Newport. It kind of guarantees you won't get skunked. You can catch a ripple but its most fun for me when it's waist to chest at the break. Waves will start to build far out but can't be caught on a regular board. The looks I get as I paddle through the folks inside is priceless...I can see the shortboarders thinking WTF?... :). Once I get a few from way WAY outside and ride them to the beach though even some of the grumpy old longboarders seem to get it.

I love the long smooth turns. Kind of like downwinding but without all the bumps and balance challenge. I have to think that this is the closest to what the beach boys felt riding those massive koa boards. Glad we don't have to haul around 100+ lbs of lumber today though.

standuped:
That is super cool.  I love that green board!

supthecreek:
Excellent video... lots of fun... the more options that you can employ on the water, the better!
You certainly need a good skill set to surf a race board well.

At the Huntington Beach Pro last week, the Hawaiian team was late for the "TeamSUP surfing expression session, so they hit the water on their race boards.... they were ripping it up!!! till they got pulled out of the water... too many SUSers out there to have 14 footers flying around.... but great fun while it lasted!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version