Author Topic: Paddle length(s)  (Read 2315 times)

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Paddle length(s)
« on: September 24, 2014, 04:19:31 AM »

I'd like to hear from those of you who have fiddled around with different lengths paddles. I've been pretty static, shortened a bit a year ago (and moved to a thicker board). Keeping things simple with a one paddle quiver (and a backup paddle which is on loan) I haven't done much experimenting. I got something simple that seems to works. I am just curious if I am missing out on trying something new.

I'm currently using 9" overhead overall paddle length. My blade, QB Kanaha, is fairly short and squat by today's standards. Basically, handle on the ground, my nose is at blade neck and I can just see around the blade (any shorter and I wouldn't). I'd optimize my paddle length for downwinders. I'm not racing other than the casual event. Not surfing.

My understanding was that for downwinders one would typically use a slightly longer paddle length than a racer. Downwind boards are thicker and getting a catch well up front is key. Is this correct? Is Dave Kalama still using a longish paddle compared to flat water racers?

I have observed racers going much shorter these days and someone mentioned a recent clinic with Annabel Anderson where she was cutting attendees paddles shorter. I'm wondering if I should try shorter again.

Some advice I have heard was go shorter if your shoulders hurt and go longer if your lower back hurts. I don't have any shoulder complaints whatsoever. Only once, just the other day, did I get a slight twinge in my lower back when sprinting. I re-focused on my technique, hinging at the hips, and it went away. Completely, no pain after, the next day, or in any subsequent outings. Was just a momentary strain but I guess it's a little hint at a limit.

Thoughts?

breakbad

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Paddle length(s)
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2014, 07:56:39 AM »
Here's my n00b experience on the matter:
I can't attest for what downwinders are doing (never downwinded either), but I know the local racers blades are ~ height+6".  Shorter blade = less flex. Asking them about lower back pain, they said that is just something you endure, and can help with conditioning. I started training without a true race stick, using my surfing SB Enduro which was only 5" above me. After a 3 mile paddle my lower back was on fire. Now I have a hippo stick hot glued at +10" so I can cut it down and find the sweet spot. My back is more comfortable but can feel it elsewhere (arms/shoulders/lats).

From watchig downwinders on video, it seems its more technical....lots of movement and surf/staggered stance. I'd imagine you'd want something shorter than a race length but longer than a surf. I'd wouldn't factor the width of the board in as much.

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2014, 09:29:59 AM »
My understanding was that for downwinders one would typically use a slightly longer paddle length than a racer. Downwind boards are thicker and getting a catch well up front is key. Is this correct?
I downwind in choppy short-period waters. My downwind paddle is between my surf paddle and my flat water racing paddle in length. You bend your knees a lot when downwinding, which means you need a shorter paddle than flat water racing. Plus, if your DW courses are very stop-start, you are doing a lot of sprint starts in effect, and a shorter paddle is better for that. But you don't want to go so short that you can't stand reasonably tall once on a glide when DWing, or put excessive strain on your back. High cadence, short strokes work well for short-period DWing, which is another reason not to go too long.

But everyone is different, and everyone's conditions are different. You just have to experiment to find what works for you. And then 6 months later you will change your mind and want something else! It's a process...

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2014, 10:05:24 AM »
+1 on Area 10's reply.

For me right now.
10" overhead for simple cruising ( not much bending at the waist and on a high volume board)

8" overhead for downwind (more bending at the waist and on a high volume board)

6" overhead for racing (the most bending at the waist and on a high volume board)
I'm still playing with length for racing though since I now use a Konihi and don't yet have it dialed in.

3" overhead for surf (bending at the waist, moving the paddle around a lot more, and on a lower volume board)
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

* Recent Posts

post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
B-Walnut
Today at 10:20:25 AM
foiled again
Today at 07:32:24 AM
B-Walnut