Author Topic: Caught on tape..Longboarder intentionally runs into SUP at Doheny.  (Read 36172 times)

RATbeachrider

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: Caught on tape..Longboarder intentionally runs into SUP at Doheny.
« Reply #45 on: October 15, 2014, 05:38:53 PM »
It sounds like the only damage sustained was to the board and no bodily injury.  I'd file a small claims action against the @$$hole.  Costs: $30 filing fee for damages less than $1500; $50 to $75 (free if a buddy can do it for you) for service of the claim (because this is an act that caused property damaged, your attorney [wink wink] can request through the DMV the @$$hole's address), if not just wait for him on the sand and then have him served.  There is a good chance that he'll not appear in court and thus you win by "default" ... the video is one heck of evidence.

If a money judgment and he refused to pay ... garnish his wages/take his board and sell it, etc.  Judgment is good for 10 years, renewable for another 10 years before expiration.

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: November 19, 2014, 04:20:11 PM »
Devil's advocate here.  I wasn't there, so I don't actually know.  But could it be that the guy was falling and out of control, couldn't turn, so it wasn't an intentional crash?  It looked like he was falling before he hit you. Stop the vid at 0:05 and see.  Not sure, but seemed like out of control to me.  Doesn't excuse it, he should have gone low and there wouldn't have been a problem.  But it looked like he was falling on his inside rail. 

« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 04:25:14 PM by Zooport »
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

all~wet

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 19, 2014, 04:58:03 PM »
There a particular reason to pick at that old scab?

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #48 on: November 19, 2014, 05:47:00 PM »
The previous post was about a month ago, not that old.  Particular reason to call me out for making an observation? 
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 19, 2014, 06:05:38 PM »
I confess I was thinking the same thing.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #50 on: November 19, 2014, 06:10:48 PM »
He told me flat out "he was just protecting the line"..... Earlier that day he pulled JayInSoCal's leash trying to get him to fall. The guy is a douche. I've let it go, but we know who he is.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #51 on: November 19, 2014, 07:03:10 PM »
He told me flat out "he was just protecting the line"..... Earlier that day he pulled JayInSoCal's leash trying to get him to fall. The guy is a douche. I've let it go, but we know who he is.

In that case, I retract my statement.  That guy is a JERK!
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 20, 2014, 08:03:26 AM »
never been near doheny but seems the rule empowers the self-appointed dbag protector of the line, where under normal circumstances people would work shit out---and there will always be dbags, but one wonders if this one would be so aggro if he didnt feel empowered by the rule

i have reined in my tendency to stand/defend ground as I age--have friends who were in the "right" get pretty damaged standing up to dbags--not worth it---walked-on pride gnaws at a guy for a bit, but he lives on ok--that's top priority at this point

that said if i am threatened or not allowed to walk away i will summon up the ugly shit of my NYC youth--havent needed to in years, thankfully

and with a dbag like that comin at you--cross checking is certainly allowed, if not encouraged.

peace/love
Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

Kevin

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 26, 2014, 09:52:22 AM »
Talldude, has that ever happened to you out there before? Do you surf that spot frequently? How long did you prone surf before you started stand up paddle surfing?  Is there any possibility that he and other surfers could be angry that you tend to be in the way of other surfers more than others?   No accusations at all, I promise, but I'm just curious if that could be a factor.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal