Author Topic: Caught on tape..Longboarder intentionally runs into SUP at Doheny.  (Read 36169 times)

SaMoSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: Caught on tape..Longboarder intentionally runs into SUP at Doheny.
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2014, 04:16:15 PM »
Wow!!! Are you going to show this to the authorities?

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2014, 04:48:29 PM »
The Local Authorities are the source of the problem. What are they going to do. "Hey come on you guys. Be nice to those Sweepers. But if those Sweepers cross into your area, we'll bull horn them and tell them to get the hell south the line."

It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

anonsurfer

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2014, 05:01:23 PM »
It is hard to believe the guy did not see you and purposely ran in to you.  What is wrong with people?  Hopefully it was not intentional and the guy is just incompetent.  I am curious to see how his board fared in the collision. 

Please give us a detailed description of this guy so we can introduce ourselves appropriately.

On a side note I heard last week a SUP dropped in on a proner then bailed and took out the proner's fin box.  Accidents do happen.
Home Break: Doheny
Tic Tac v3 (Hoglet): 6' 6" x 23" x 3.6" x 67L
Omni: 6' 9" x 23" x 3.75" x 68L
Tic Tac (OG): 7' 0" x 22.75" x 3.5" x 70L
In The Pink (Incoming): 8' 0" x 22.9" x 3.25" x 70L

Blackproject Surge S77 (Soft Flex Shaft, T-Grip, +0" OH)

SaMoSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2014, 05:34:21 PM »
What about the authority of authorities?

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2014, 05:36:23 PM »
It is hard to believe the guy did not see you and purposely ran in to you.  What is wrong with people?  Hopefully it was not intentional and the guy is just incompetent.  I am curious to see how his board fared in the collision. 

Please give us a detailed description of this guy so we can introduce ourselves appropriately.

On a side note I heard last week a SUP dropped in on a proner then bailed and took out the proner's fin box.  Accidents do happen.

He looked like the alien monster stalking Tom Skerritt in the ventilation shafts of the Nostromo, a bee line.
2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

hbsteve

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2014, 05:43:48 PM »
The mayor and the city council, etc., might view this differently.  Instead of keeping this in the zone, since it is on video, let it loose.

starman

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2014, 06:04:04 PM »
Be careful what you ask for especially when dealing with elected officials. Historically the sport has deal with events like this on the water. If you have the skills a long hold down can do wonders to someones "attitude". I could be handled in the parking lot but any physical exchange on land is looked at a lot differently then on the water.
Complaining to authority could be counter productive as they may use the incident as an excuse to keep SUP out of the lineup.

SeaMe

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2014, 07:10:57 PM »
It's Doheny, paddlers are not allowed on that side.

I'm reading this to mean that the pile of rocks in the center of the video is some kind of dividing line. Is that correct?

It's like walking down a busy street with pedestrians passing each other in opposing directions. From your experience walking in this situation you can read the on coming people and move left or right. If someone is riding a bike towards you, you and everyone else will give the bike space. From your experience you know how much room the bicyclist is going to need. A kid with less experience might walk right into the bike. The experienced cyclist can also recognize the kid and slow down or alter their course as to not hit the kid.

The more you surf and have experience reading the line up, the sharper your responses will be. I had been zig-zagging prior to that impact, reading who might catch the wave in front of me, and made adjustments to give them space. When you are paddling out against the current and wave force, you don't generate much speed so your reaction time is much slower than the person who is catching the wave. They have more speed and more options. They can temporarily straighten out and make a late bottom turn, or take a high line, or stall, etc. in order not to hit someone in front of them. The right-of-way is a continual dance. Catching waves and being respectful of who has position, and who is just oblivious to that is more frustrating. Making adjustments to intentionally run into someone is just saying I feel I own this beach.

The State Parks are reinforcing these proners belief in that. They are basically saying, if the Longboard Surfing Club doesn't want you, then neither do we. This is probably one of the reason the BOP moved.

I don't doubt that he went for you intentionally, I just wondered if it was because you had violated some sacred statute of surfing etiquette and in his mind he needed to teach you a lesson, much the same way some in this thread are suggesting you drown him just a little bit to teach him a lesson. In light of your explanation and PB's info, I agree with the general consensus: he's just an aggro asshole.

If you really want to make an impression, take him to small claims court for the repair costs. No lawyers required, and your chances of monetary recovery are really good since you've got video of the run-in.
“I must be a mermaid, Rango. I have no fear of depths and a great fear of shallow living.” ― Anaïs Nin
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>
Fanatic Fly HRS 10'6"
Fanatic Ray HRS BVI 12'0" ヾ(@°▽°@)ノ

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2014, 10:00:15 PM »
Yup. On the end of it is a concrete thingy called the hammer. SUPs are not allowed past it. It's long past time to make that rule go away.

TallDude is a much more rational guy than I am, If someone did that to me there would be blood in the water--mine or his. If nothing else I'd bite him. That's at least the equivalent of someone slapping your face. I imagine the moment passed without any response because you simply couldn't believe it happened. I recommend calmly removing all his lugnuts. Worked for me.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

gtcali

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2014, 11:22:22 PM »
So wrong on many levels.  He possibly drops in on another guy causing the wave to break sooner.  Wastes what may have been a fun wave.  Risks his equipment that could potential end his session.  He tried to harm someone. So whats the point he's trying to get across?....Sups take all the waves...sups have no etiquette...sups are dangerous?

Talldude - What was the conversation immediately after the incident?
« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 11:30:22 PM by gtcali »

SaMoSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2014, 11:44:01 PM »
Me thinks catch him on video a few more times and he'll be ripe for assault charges. Bring your GoPro next time and bust this chump. I'd even rent one of those Hobie barges at the shop on the other side of the boneyard and let this guy come at you.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 11:48:29 PM by SaMoSUP »

1tuberider

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2014, 07:40:45 AM »
Show it to the DA with the warning that if they don't address the idiot you will. He assaulted you and if he could turn into you as he did, he could have cut back and actually made the wave.

Why did you surf that? Not that you have any blame but that really looks like a weak wave and even more soo when you are stuck taking off at the end of the wave. We have a similar setup and boy do the crowds show up for the weak and wimpy and of coarse they own it attitude. I rarely go out there as it just is not worth it. I will bet churches was really going off that day.

JayInSoCal

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2014, 08:13:13 AM »
I think you'd have a tough time proving anything in court. The video is grainy at best.  You'd have to prove a) that is you in the video. b) that was the surfer in question.  c) that his intentions were malicious.  It's not "assault", it's two guy participating in a sport with known risks (one of the risks is possible collision with other participants).  While I know his actions were deliberate, I doubt you could prove it.  Even if he admitted it was him in the video, all he has to say is that it was an accident.  It sucks, but dealing with aggro assholes is the reality of Doho.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
8'4" L41 SS3
9'2" Riviera Turbo Nugg
9'6" Wavestorm
10' Infinity Carver
14' Infinity Whiplash

SaMoSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2014, 08:36:43 AM »
If you catch him doing this on video several times, you can establish a pattern of recklessness or neglect. It may not be criminal but could make a case for negligence in civil court. You may even be able to file a restraining order against this guy. I would consider that stalking if he kept doing it to me. I'm not a lawyer so any attorneys please chime in.

Bottom line, whether court worthy or not, the threat of legal action is better than inaction. If all of the people on this thread that have had incidents with this person acted on this, you could probably run this person out of Doho. At minimum, file a police report to document the incidents. When there are enough complaints against the same person, the authorities may be compelled to investigate.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 08:46:13 AM by SaMoSUP »

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2014, 08:51:47 AM »
My daughter sent me the link to this after I had seen it from the link here.  I think you may become an internet phenom rather quickly.  Somewhere between "Ain't nobody got time for that!" and a Rickroll.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal