Author Topic: Battle of the Paddle Oct 4/5 2014 - Who from the Zone is coming?  (Read 13317 times)

The Kernel

• Sunset Status
  • Dana Point, CA
    • View Profile
Battle of the Paddle Oct 4/5 2014 - Who from the Zone is coming?
« on: September 10, 2014, 09:45:56 PM »
Just curious to see which Zoners will be coming to hang out, chat with people, compete, spectate, eyeball vendors, mess around with demos, etc.

I'm local...live five minutes from Salt Creek and plan to be doing all the above except competing (too many crew races in Philly growing up; just can't get motivated any more about anything to do with paddling against a clock.)

So who else out there on the Zone is coming?  And if someone needs any local knowledge, feel free to ask those of who live here for help. 

Also, StandinDan just sold his '57 Chevy and I heard through the grapevine that he may be converting his newly reclaimed garage space into a bed and breakfast.  Just come with black widow repellent and a tetanus shot.
Kernel:  Cutting through the bull**it.
"This is the kernel of the argument."

Over 50, but usually pushing it like I'm 25 and paying for it later.

8'0 L41 Simsup
9'2" T. Patterson Rising Sun
9'2" Riviera Nugg Turbo Carbon
10' Riviera Machete

StandinDan

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Battle of the Paddle Oct 4/5 2014 - Who from the Zone is coming?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2014, 10:06:37 PM »
Every spider my kids see in the garage is supposedly a "black window". Really they are all a combo of black widows and their evil cousins the brown widow. Sat on one on the tailgate of my truck 13 years ago and it was not a pretty sight according to my then girlfriend, now wife. If that's not true love well then it's something really kinked up. Either way, you marry that...
Yes the 57 is gone after 30 years, I got over it by ordering my new Corran 7'7" by 27.5" the same day. It's a hybrid between the MACH and the Retro, we named it the Nuke. It just came out of the cutting shop today, pics to come in a few weeks when it's finished...

JayInSoCal

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2014, 10:24:25 PM »
I'm also about 5 mins from Salt Creek.  I'll be there, not sure if I am competing yet.  I've participated in the last 2, but this year's venue has me a little hesitant, gonna wait for the surf report before deciding. I'm definitely down for a meet up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
8'4" L41 SS3
9'2" Riviera Turbo Nugg
9'6" Wavestorm
10' Infinity Carver
14' Infinity Whiplash

supdiscobay

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2014, 10:32:46 PM »
We won't make it down for this years BOP.  Going to miss some of the carnage that we have seen in the past.
I coach high school water polo up in the SF Bay Area and we have a tournament that Friday/Saturday.

For those that go, please post pics and reports for us that will not be there.  Especially if there is any kind of swell.
8'5" Starboard Pocket Rocket, 8'0" Kazuma Fugu custom,  8'10" Kings Sidewinder, 10' Starboard Noserider, 14' BARK Carbon Dominator, SIC F16 V3, KeNalu and Quickblade paddles, 19' Eaton Prone, 67" Goode 9700

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2014, 11:14:38 PM »
Of course! I need new sandals. Looking forward to another pair of those foot massaging Hemp models.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2014, 12:13:56 AM »
I'll be there, trying to decide whether to run in the surf class or unlimited. For sure this year the distance race will be on unlimited. I had enough of that foolishness last year.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Sup-position

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2014, 04:45:17 AM »
I'll be knocking around.

I'll let you know Who I'll be hangin' with.

Definitely up for Surfing...
Ralph
Sup-position
(714) 899-3020 call, Text or Message

mastman

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2014, 10:19:18 AM »
I will be there racing in the open race. It would be cool to meet a Zoner or two. Hope I do better than I did last year (something like 39 out of 45).  Staying Friday and Saturday at the Laguna Cliffs Marriott.  I will have a girlfriend, 14-month old and an 11 year old in tow so I will not have a whole lot of free time, but there's plenty of alcohol in my future after the race ends.
Quiver=
9'4" Hobie CM
12'6" Starboard Race
14' King's Race

SaMoSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2014, 11:15:54 AM »
+1

Does anyone know if Salt Creek is a dog friendly beach?

The Kernel

• Sunset Status
  • Dana Point, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2014, 11:25:46 AM »
What do you think about this?

So I am considering collaborating with some of the other local zoners here in the Dana Point/San Clemente area (cough cough StandinDan, SanOSup, SupSurfIsSurf, TallDude, Kayadogg, etc.) i and setting up a very informal Zoner get together at Dogpatch on Fri evening 3 October 2014.... Maybe we just put up a Standup Zone sign on a beach pop-up with some coolers of soda under it as a "headquarters" location.

Playing off the old saying that, "Amateurs talk tactics, experts talk logistics" it seems like the logistics would work well.  There's parking right on the beach, an "official" SUP area on the water, fire pits, bathrooms, a positive vibe, and people can bring their own food and beverages (no alcohol of course, god forbid that someone would sip a beer in a red plastic cup). 

We could swap boards, stories, and food.  Additionally, we could plot the political storming  of the State Parks Beaches by an army of paddle advocates.

Sorry if this has been done a gazillion times before and is old hat...just wanted to provide an opportunity for some quality people to get together if there isn't something already in place.   If someone wants to point out why this is a bad idea or identify problems with date or location, feel free to heap suggestions or abuse upon me.

Worst case:  some of us will just show up on a BYOB (bring your own board) basis and have fun....
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 11:30:35 AM by The Kernel »

8'0 L41 Simsup
10' Riviera Machete

The Kernel

• Sunset Status
  • Dana Point, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2014, 11:27:27 AM »
+1 Does anyone know if Salt Creek is a dog friendly beach?

Here you go SaMoSUP...had to refresh my own memory as my inlaws walk their bulldog on the Salt Creek path every day and the specific regulations had long been forgotten....

"Dogs are not permitted on the beach. Dogs are permitted (on a 6-foot leash) on paved walkways and at Bluff Park, the grass area above Salt Creek Beach."

http://ocparks.com/beaches/salt/rules
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 11:46:04 AM by The Kernel »

8'0 L41 Simsup
10' Riviera Machete

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2014, 12:10:59 PM »
...just wanted to provide an opportunity for some quality people to get together if there isn't something already in place.
Oh haha, just had to throw that in for my behalf huh? 

Giving me the wrong date the last time, and the wrong location (did feel a little out of place as the only SUPer out at Lowers  :o) the time before that not enough for ya? 

So what's this, your soft and subtle approach?   ;) :P ;D

Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

The Kernel

• Sunset Status
  • Dana Point, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2014, 02:22:37 PM »
...just wanted to provide an opportunity for some quality people to get together if there isn't something already in place.
Oh haha, just had to throw that in for my behalf huh? 

Giving me the wrong date the last time, and the wrong location (did feel a little out of place as the only SUPer out at Lowers  :o) the time before that not enough for ya? 

So what's this, your soft and subtle approach?   ;) :P ;D

Oh, that was a classic!  You made my year with that one.  I never thought I could convince someone to SUP Lowers on St. Patty's Day while wearing only a kilt.  Nice knotty knees dude!   ;D

Sorry about that traumatic brain injury you incurred when the Lowers locals decided to up the Irish authenticity by pummeling you with ad hoc driftwood shillelaghs .... :P

Anyhooooooo, for the rest of the Zone's edification, this proposed linkup at Dogpatch is all LEGIT.  Once again, feel free to point out any issues that would undermine a get together....
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 02:26:48 PM by The Kernel »

8'0 L41 Simsup
10' Riviera Machete

JayInSoCal

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2014, 02:37:54 PM »
No issues......make it happen.  There should be a lot of out of town zoners here as well.  Should be fun!  Hope for waves.
8'4" L41 SS3
9'2" Riviera Turbo Nugg
9'6" Wavestorm
10' Infinity Carver
14' Infinity Whiplash

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2014, 05:16:26 PM »
Sounds great. I'll be renting Chris Kohner's condo again this year. Might have to do a little get together there as well. I won't do all the silly stuff I did last time and cook enough food for forty people. Just probably some guacamole and chips, byob. I'll have to get Chris to OK it, but he was fine with it last year.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal