Author Topic: Help, I'm buying too many standup baddleboards!  (Read 7475 times)

lawaia

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Help, I'm buying too many standup baddleboards!
« on: September 06, 2007, 04:47:10 PM »
I don't know what it is about this damned sport!  Maybe it's just the state of the art is changing so fast.

I have an older 11' SUP and I already have a smaller custom SUP on order.

Today, I walked into Mitch's and just decided to buy another one, an 11'6" - you know, a bigger cruiser model for paddling and point-and-shoot surfing, paddling the bay for fitness, to do a little downwinder, or an adventure paddle (paddle, surf, paddle, eat, repeat)...  And it's perfect for a loaner for a friend who want to try SUP. 

I'm a longtime surfer, I understand the importance of a good quiver.  But I think I got a problem.

Man, there is something about this G-Damned SUP thing....

shapeshifter

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: Help, I'm buying too many standup baddleboards!
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2007, 07:52:30 PM »
heheheh... i've got my trisect and now three on order a 10', 11', and 11'6" respectively. plan to use some and sell some whatever. been considering checking out something else while i await delivery. then there's yet one more deep down in my subconscious slowly coming to the surface so that it can be created.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2007, 08:49:49 PM by shapeshifter »
whoever invented the hole... knew nothing.
...ooooO...................
...(.......)......Ooooo....
....\.....(.......(.......).....
.....\.__)........)...../.....
...................(__./......

Andy

• Waikiki Status
  • www.Air-head.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2007, 02:30:14 AM »
I think I have the same problem..... but I'm not sure that you can have to many, the only restriction is having a van big enough to get them all to the beach and how much get can tell the wife you need without her going mad with the joint credit card.

The problem is they all feel different..... My C4 10'6"... Jimmy Lewis 11' and I am waiting on SOS to arrive.... I am lucky as I have a shop in the UK and all the kit is for demo but really they are all my babies and they need looking after..... am I insane ???? may be but you just cant have enough toys

Ride safe

Andy

capobeachboy

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2007, 05:54:25 PM »
Maybe you need my 11' Anderson in the classifieds...
West Coast Distributor
Dolphin Surfcraft
DEEP Ocean Boards
Ambassador/team rider/rep
KeNalu Paddles

gjbstandup

• Sunset Status
  • SHARE THE PASSION
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2007, 07:52:01 PM »
I too have a problem with aquiring too many boards. I have 4 now and a custom on the way I'm in the process shaping. The boards below and my thoughts and their uses.   I do share the boards and do demos w/ friends and anyone interested in SUP.   I've been lucky to have discovered this sport several months ago and now its time to give back and share the stoke.

1)  Big Red  Sean Ordonez shapes 11'-10''  in size x 29 & 1/2'' x 4''++
   Great touring board and is very stable. Has a kicked up nose and able to plow thru boat wake and Ocean chop. I use this board  on long paddles open water and catches early on the smallest waves very, very easy. Hard to turn, but put a 9.5 '' fin loosened up the tail.  Very durable board and does not chip or ding from paddle hits.  Weighs about 28 lbs . Angulo camo pad.

2)SOS Blue , Sean Ordonez shapes 10'-10'' in size x 28.5'' x 4'' This board is also great for touring flat water in the back bays but use it for catching waves in the thigh/waist high range w/ surface chop and onshore winds. The wide nose and duel concave each side of the center in tail area helps with water flow but is stable. I can spin this board on the dime which helps me catch waves on the inside. Again inserted a fins unlimited 9.5 speed fin and loosened up the tail. Has blue Angulo pad. Same durable board as Red and weight a little less than its big brother, Red  at 25/26 lbs
   www.sosshapes.com

3)   Is a 10'-2'' Danai Fish SUB. Has C4 Watermen  deck pad. This board is a quad plus 1, but ride it as a 4 fin board. I use the FCS Mark Richards Twin fin 5.5 inch fins on outside set up and FCS G-5's  on the inside fin set up. The board is 30'' wide and a scant 5'' thick. Weighs about 30-32 lbs a little heavier board.  Very floaty board and a flat bottom thru the board w/ slight concave in nose area. I can tour w/ this board and have done 4-5 miles on the board but like the larger boards for that. The board is very loose on the wave. I rode this board in 3-5 foot  glass and was outstanding. Rode like my 9'-0'' longboard. Tough board to keep stable in moderate to big chop. Floaty like a "Boston Whaler" boat. Will use this board for wave riding in glassy conditions.. The board is very very durable and takes a beating w/ no dings and shatters.   Check it out on his site..    www.danaisurf.com 

4)   Jimmy Lewis 11' ,  30'' wide by 4 &1/2'' thick  50/50 rails. My first board I learned on. Very stable ,supports my 185 lb frame easy and up to my 240 lb friend. Great for long paddles, touring the bays, creeks and ocean. Very easy board to learn on and catches waves very early. Have only been on waist hight waves w/ this board.  I used this board all summer in our piddly East Coast surf. I was able to experiment with fins and found that a G&S 9'' speed fin worked well to loosen up its tail than the stock 13'' JL fin. The board is not as durable as the other three. The impact from the paddle scars and divots the finish to the fiberglass wave. Has the same construction as the Surf Tech boards. I do repair w/ marine epoxy 2 part mix. Very easy fix. Cosmetic only.

« Last Edit: September 11, 2007, 07:58:13 PM by gjbsup »
8-2 Wide Point
11-6  Starboard GO SUP

Andy

• Waikiki Status
  • www.Air-head.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2007, 12:23:37 AM »
gjbsup, nice write up on the boards..... I have a big green and a big red at Heathrow airport wiating to be picked up today... cant wait to get them out on the water

SUP should have a support group to help folks with getting to much kit  ;D

Ride safe

Andy

linter

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2007, 05:14:57 AM »
gjbsub: like andy said, nice write up, thanks.  re fins on the JL11 -- which other ones did you try before settling on the G&S?  And, who makes the G&S?  I tried a google search and the only likely fin was a fins unlimitted G&S redfin fin.  that's not it, is it?

Andy

• Waikiki Status
  • www.Air-head.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2007, 06:34:36 AM »
Hey Linter,

I think he is talking about Gordon and Smith fins.... though I could be wrong...

Ride safe

Andy

Rand

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2007, 06:37:43 AM »
I have 4 now and a custom on the way I'm in the process shaping.

Nice quiver.  The board-a-month club.  I like it!

So this begs the question, what is the new custom going to be like?

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2007, 06:52:49 AM »
Me too.

Ordered my 5th board since May. To think back when I started and was reading ponobill's wonderful Blog, I actually thought, wow Bill buys a lot of boards. Now look at me  ;D

I do have a good excuse. The wife paddles too.

lawaia

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2007, 04:27:15 PM »
Nice to know that I'm not the only one with the sickness...

MST

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2007, 04:36:48 PM »
Great write up Glen, I guess I should come over to HHI to test ride.  Good advice on the dings - I have a couple on my JL

also.  After hearing how many boards y'all are buying, I guess I won't feel guilty about buying a second one.

MichaelF

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2007, 05:52:52 PM »
On number 3 and likely will not stop there. 

Only challenge is that I have a wife with an expensive shoe and handbag shopping addiction.  In her mind every paddle board carries equal shoe and bag spending allowance. 

Sup may be expensive but still cheaper than Golf, race cars, art buying and the number one killer of all time - owning your own boat (not including wives)

---

Anyone have the issue that SUP has now changed what you think the perfect auto should be?  I now have Cargo Van envy.  To hell with the SUV... I want a Cargo Van.

Anyone care to share pictures of your SUP carrying machines?

Big Island Mike

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2007, 12:55:16 AM »
My name is Mike, and I am a SUB aholohic...  I feel better now, the first step is acceping the truth, then you can move forward... and BUY MORE BOARDS!!!

Confessions:

12'1 SIC Kunalu
11'7 Jimmy
9'6 PSH, Blaine (TB Model)
10'10 SOS
10'0 SOS
16'0 Angulo
16"0 SIC F-16

Andy

• Waikiki Status
  • www.Air-head.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2007, 03:03:55 AM »
Big Island Mike..... welcome to SUP compulsive buyers support group..... seems like you are needed in need of help.

My name is Andy.... Im from the UK

I would like everyone to know my problem.

Jimmy 11'
C4 10'6"
Naish 11'6"
SOS Big Green
SOS Big Red
Quick Blade pops
C4 Carbon
Kinimaka

wow that does feel good to get that off my chest

;)

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
Today at 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard