Author Topic: New 2015 Allstar vs Race vid.  (Read 8359 times)

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email

Argosi

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: New 2015 Allstar vs Race vid.
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2014, 08:05:32 PM »
I paddled the 2015 Race 14x27 back to back with an All Star 14x27.5 (but a 2013 model) and Gary's comments in the video seem pretty accurate to me.

After warming up and getting my heart rate going, I did 6 round trips, 500m upwind then 500m downwind, alternating between the 2 boards. I kept my heart rate at a consistent level on each leg and rested for the same amount of time between each of the 12 legs. I purposely disabled the time and speed display on my GPS so I wouldn't be influenced by it while paddling. I just had it showing only my HR, which I tried to keep consistent between the 2 boards. I used the same stock Starboard fin on both boards.

One area where I might disagree - the Race seems to pick up very small bumps better than the 2013 All Star 14x27.5. There was about 10-12mph of wind and I was a bit faster on the Race on the downwind leg. However, once the wind picks up more, I'd guess the All Star would be more comfortable.

Interestingly, I was a bit faster upwind on the All Star than the Race. The Race's lower rocker nose penetrates the bumps while the All Star's moves over the bumps more.

Overall, the Race's upwind disadvantage was balanced out by it's downwind advantage and I ended with overall speeds that were very similar between the Race and the All Star.

Like Gary, I did notice that the Race seems a bit less stable than the All Star.

SupTrip

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2014, 09:03:14 PM »
Can anybody say if Starboard added more volume to the Allstar nose over the 2014's? I can't tell from the video because the 12'6" looks so snubbed already.

I've been paddling a 2014 25.5" x 14' all-star and a 14' x 26" sprint for a year now. I want a new board that I'll occasionally fall off of, I was originally thinking about the 25" race but maybe the 23" all-star would be faster in-between spills.

Any perceptible change to rocker in 2015 all-star over 2014?

Fog City Rider

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2014, 09:06:32 PM »
I only tried the 12'6 x 25.5 Race, and it was the twitchiest board I've ever paddled.  It was in rough Tahoe waters, and I felt like a cowboy riding a bull at the rodeo.
San Diego, CA
10'0 Naish Nalu Pro (2017 version)
9'0 Pearson Arrow Laird custom
9'3 Pearson Arrow custom (prone)
9'8 Takayama In the Pink (prone)

Argosi

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2014, 07:39:51 AM »
I'm used to my 14x23.5 Ace so both the much wider boards I tested felt like docks to me. However, I did notice that the Race had an odd bobble to it and felt less comfortable than the All Star.

Argosi

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2014, 07:57:31 AM »
The 2015 All Star in the video has a pretty flat deck without the raised side walls around the standing area. Also doesn't have any drainage holes. I've seen some other pictures that show raised side walls. Can anyone confirm if the 2015 All Stars have eliminated the the raised side walls and drainage holes.

If they have and yet the board is more stable than the 2014 for a given width, that would be quite the improvement.

Kaihoe

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2014, 01:03:26 PM »
The 2015 All Star in the video has a pretty flat deck without the raised side walls around the standing area. Also doesn't have any drainage holes. I've seen some other pictures that show raised side walls. Can anyone confirm if the 2015 All Stars have eliminated the the raised side walls and drainage holes.

If they have and yet the board is more stable than the 2014 for a given width, that would be quite the improvement.

We've got a 14x25 race knocking around down here. Its got a slight raise on the side walls and 2 humongous holes in it (like bath drains). 

It came back from Battle of the Paddle, judging from previous years it may well be a pre-prod model (last year we got a handful of the really purple boards turnup )

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2014, 02:29:27 PM »

We've got a 14x25 race knocking around down here. Its got a slight raise on the side walls and 2 humongous holes in it (like bath drains). 

It came back from Battle of the Paddle, judging from previous years it may well be a pre-prod model (last year we got a handful of the really purple boards turnup )

Yes.. it's a much more shallow standing area on the new 25'' .. and there are many other changes in the shape making it a much better board for 2015..

But the odd thing is that there is no change at all on the wider 28'' board.. It's exactly the same shape as last year.. Just new deck pad and graphics..

robon

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2014, 03:42:36 PM »

Yes.. it's a much more shallow standing area on the new 25'' .. and there are many other changes in the shape making it a much better board for 2015..

But the odd thing is that there is no change at all on the wider 28'' board.. It's exactly the same shape as last year.. Just new deck pad and graphics..

I guess a new deck pad is a slight improvement, but the All Star 28" wide is a pretty sweet board that covered all the bases well, so maybe they figured it didn't need any significant retooling?

Argosi

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2014, 03:58:10 PM »
If Starboard has eliminated the side walls and drain holes on the 2015 All Star, while also making it more stable (for the 14x25) I'm hoping it will be better to surf and turn. That would put in on my short list of downwind boards to consider along with the Fanatic Falcon 14x24.75.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal