Author Topic: In defense of the buttboarders at Dog Patch  (Read 5444 times)

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: In defense of the buttboarders at Dog Patch
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2014, 01:43:37 PM »
Socalsupper, I like your attitude.  Could be something to do with HE>I :)  Yeah, Mike and Greg; I know them both well.  I like them both too, and both are aggressive in their own ways.  Greg especially shreds on that rudder board, easily the best buttboarder out there. 
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 02:30:05 PM by Zooport »
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2014, 02:13:41 PM »
The butt boarders dont bother me at all-i like most of them-Greg is hyper agressive and years ago i had it out with him about getting too close to me and my wife and since then we are friends. Mike will talk your face off and drop in on you and dont bother to yell because hes half deaf-but hes a good dude and i dont have anything against any of them.
Mike and Greg are in that bunch that I have a fun time surfing with "once you know the rules"....or better said, if you understand what they can and cannot do on their boards.

Greg and I have a great time playing what I call "chicken".....hell, I'll even call him into a wave with me, so we can chase each other back and forth across the face of it, laughing the whole time.  Most look pretty stupid from the beach, but I trust him, and know that even of I slip up a bit he's in enough control to get outta the way, and not run me over.

Mike in the other hand....good, but not as good as Greg, so you kind of have to be careful....but fun to hear him paddle up behind you as you're turning for a wave with his, "sorry, sorry, sorry"......meaning "I'm pretending to get out of your way, but I'm going to turn and take this wave without, even though I'm paddling out from the last one I just caught".  ::) :o ;D

I still get my waves and any butt boarder with disabilities, and there are several,get an instant hall pass from me. If i see them going for a wave-i give it to them, there are more waves, ill get my share.
Most definitely!!  Love to see those guys out there....

Oh, and don't forget to help them with their stuff when they're coming into the beach, and/or loading their boards onto their vehicles.

They're very appreciative, and have some interesting stories they're happy to share when you're spending time with them.  Also some REALLY cool guys, with a LOT of stoke.

The paddle is a hazard and we are concerned for our safety is a load of crap and in the end it will be their go-to argument and i feel it will eventually collapse and sups will roam free and get access like everyone else, however we are going to have to fight for it!
Support the HPWA!
Let's not beat around the bush....

One small group of individuals (San Onofre Surf Club), flexed whatever little political muscle they had/have, and got someone in the state to buy into their nonsense.

All it will take is a much larger, "California SUP Surf Association", state wide group of individuals (ie. registered voters if need be)...to out maneuver the squeaky little wheel of local whiners....and there will be no "safety" issue.

If it "safe" all up and down the coast, than it's "safe" in those little niche spots of San Onofre, and Doheny.....

But one or two "individuals" writing letters, or arranging meetings is not going to get it done....you'll never "out squeak" the local surf club....it has to be a much bigger, strong, group effort.

As someone said, and as I've heard....."Stay tuned".....but be ready to do your part!!

Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

StandinDan

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2014, 02:21:13 PM »
In the case of the "one guy" it is a matter of safety. He takes off on EVERYTHING regardless of positioning or a sense of rotation: these are non issues to him. And it's not that he doesn't know better. The last time he dropped in on me I was sure he would kick out of the nice chest high ride I was on. But no, he just kept cutting back into me, we nearly collided a few times before I gave up. I had an amicable, but less than friendly, talk with him and we give each other a lot of room now. However I watch him doing the same thing time and time again to others in the line up. He is unsafe and I can understand the measures Bill Stewart had to take to quarantine this one guy, now we are all paying for it at Patch. I don't however hate the guy, he is super nice and friendly, but he a a constant source of frustration to DP.

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2014, 02:28:31 PM »
Yeah, that is Greg.  Odd to think that he is somewhat solely responsible for the OK sign and all that it entails, but it is true.  He was the same way when it was all buttboarders in the years past when I was buttboarding with them.  He regularly dropped in on other buttboarders, but then again, I dropped in on him too, just because he did it to me.  Never any unkind words.  Sometimes, I would go straight at him when I was going on the wave and he was paddling to get in, sometimes he would back off.  Some got dings in their buttboards because of similar tactics.  But it was a "party wave is OK" kind of mindset. 

That's why I started this thread; to make others aware of their mentality.  Given, that mentality just doesn't work in the current, extremely crowded atmosphere that surrounds DP these days.  Just remember, a lot of them aren't that upset about sharing a wave with you.  So drop in.  Greg does!  Maybe it has changed in the 7 years since I was a regular there, and you will get called on it, but I doubt it.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 02:41:01 PM by Zooport »
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2014, 03:28:02 PM »
Just remember, a lot of them aren't that upset about sharing a wave with you.  So drop in.  Greg does!  Maybe it has changed in the 7 years since I was a regular there, and you will get called on it, but I doubt it.
No it hasn't Zoo, and you're right, I not only think they don't mind it.....but I think a couple of them hope that you do, so they have someone to play "chase" with.

It is really one of the strangest things I've seen or done out in the water, but if/when you realize what's happening, it really is kind of funny thing to be a part of.

And hey, if that's not your thing, or you get tired of "playing" after a while like I do.....just paddle away and find another spot.

Like I said earlier, theirs is as much a "social" club, as much as it is a "surf" club, so they usually stay fairly close together in their "lineup" (if you will) so they can chat amongst themselves in between sets....and aren't looking to spread out all over the place like we on the SUPs tend to do.

Occasionally a couple will make their way down to Nukes, but that's usually a couple "other" Mikes, and they're really good, able, and willing at sharing waves with everyone....and won't drop on you down there, as that wave is a little quicker, and they don't have the pedal-steerable skis, so they don't want to get tangled up anymore than we do.
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2014, 04:06:12 PM »
Just remember, a lot of them aren't that upset about sharing a wave with you.  So drop in.  Greg does!  Maybe it has changed in the 7 years since I was a regular there, and you will get called on it, but I doubt it.
Like I said earlier, theirs is as much a "social" club, as much as it is a "surf" club, so they usually stay fairly close together in their "lineup" (if you will) so they can chat amongst themselves in between sets....and aren't looking to spread out all over the place like we on the SUPs tend to do.
Exactly!  Then they go in and sit in front of their cars and chat some more.  Maybe annoying in the lineup, but they are mostly really nice guys.  Bob is another regular down there, still buttboarding pretty well at 77.  I respect that and intend to imulate his lifestyle.  If I get to be too old and weak to handle SUP and prone surfing, I'll probably pull the buttboards out of the roof of my garage and join back in with them.  Thankfully, that is still quite a few years off.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 04:08:51 PM by Zooport »
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2014, 05:07:03 PM »
Bob is another regular down there, still buttboarding pretty well at 77.  I respect that and intend to imulate his lifestyle.  If I get to be too old and weak to handle SUP and prone surfing, I'll probably pull the buttboards out of the roof of my garage and join back in with them.  Thankfully, that is still quite a few years off.
Yes....Bob, and Jim are the "elder statesmen" of the bunch, and like you, I respect the heck out of them, and hope I can be out on the water like they are at their ages.

While like you, I'm not ready for that mode of transportation quite yet....I have plenty of times thought how much longer my sessions would be on one of those, and have almost gone looking for one.

But, for now, as long as I can stand comfortably, and surf reasonably, I'll stick with what I got, and just have that as something to look forward to in the future.....which I hope is the "not too distant" one, but rather the one much further out.

supsurf-tw

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2014, 07:25:33 PM »
But one or two "individuals" writing letters, or arranging meetings is not going to get it done....you'll never "out squeak" the local surf club....it has to be a much bigger, strong, group effort.

As someone said, and as I've heard....."Stay tuned".....but be ready to do your part!!

This is where it starts..........
Boards:

8-10 x 31 Egg
8-11 X 32 Double wing Fangtail Tom Whitaker
8-6 X 30 1\2  Inbetweener Tom Whitaker
8-4 x 30 Hyper quad Tom Whitaker (wife's now)
8-4 X 31 1\4.  Round (wide) Diamond Tail Quad Tom Whitaker
 9-4 X 30 1\2. Swallow Stinger Quad Tom Whitaker (ex wifes now)
10-0 Brusurf for teach

SUP surf chick

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2014, 07:51:39 PM »

If you are referring to me (in the other post about my letter to Brian Ketterer), I totally agree. That's why I'm bringing it up on this forum so that we can pool our energy and make this a real fight. 
Dina Whitaker
Living the dream in San Clemente!
Dogpatch (Sano) local
7'4" Simm style by Tom Whitaker

SUP surf chick

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2014, 07:52:54 PM »

Btw, the SUS ladies at DP, lately, are looking fine!

Why, thank you!  ;D ;D ;D
Dina Whitaker
Living the dream in San Clemente!
Dogpatch (Sano) local
7'4" Simm style by Tom Whitaker

* Recent Posts

post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 16, 2024, 12:40:25 AM
post SIC Raptor Foil and Board For Sale
[Classifieds]
addapost
April 15, 2024, 04:25:26 PM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 15, 2024, 02:40:38 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal