Author Topic: no pfds required at Gorge Paddle Challenge  (Read 3719 times)

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
no pfds required at Gorge Paddle Challenge
« on: August 25, 2014, 06:41:04 PM »
At last weekend's Naish Gorge Paddle Challenge in Hood River, the rules stated that pfds were NOT required during any of the races, but that state law still required them outside of the races.  I assume the organizers used some sort of exemption (maybe due to having safety boats, etc.) and got confirmation from the authorities that that was acceptable.  I'm sure they didn't just make the rule without confirmation from authorities--too much risk. 

I still think that race boards meet the Coast Guard definition of "racing vessels" and are exempt from needing pfds, but don't know if Oregon's rules have that exemption--or even if they do, if the local authorities would agree.   

In any case, it's the first time I've ever seen a race specifically say they WEREN'T needed, instead of that they were.  And it certainly was nice, since everyone used hydration packs due to the heat (which contribute a lot more to life safety in heat than a pfd).  So it seems like great news.  Every race should find out what they did and repeat it.

SupTrip

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: no pfds required at Gorge Paddle Challenge
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2014, 07:09:08 AM »
Agreed, at a race i was in last weekend inflatables were allowed to be attahced to the board. I didnt know this until we got to the line but i still just clipped my MTM to the center handle. I kept stepping on it which was annoying, and i was super jealous of another guy who had e same pfd on his sprint and it was neatly velcro'd to the deck.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2014, 07:14:52 AM »
PFDs can ALWAYS just be attached to the board. That's the stupid law. Does absolutely no good, but that's government for you.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

hbsteve

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2014, 08:48:55 AM »
Most inflatables must be worn, to be legal. 

SupTrip

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2014, 08:51:22 AM »
I could have sworn the inflatables, aka type III or whatever the no inherent bouyancy ones are, had to be worn and worn per the manufacturers instructions to qaulify.

Either way i agree its all pointless, and as such i dont wear one.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2014, 08:57:21 AM »
Possibly true, though it's the intersection of two regulations and not specifically spelled out as far a I know, but the water cops enforcing it don't sweat that. PFD, check, good to go. I tell them my camelback is a PFD and get away with it 60 percent of the time. Probably 99 percent of the time since they look at me and move along.

But you should listen to me with a grain of salt--I'm a three time loser.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

starman

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2014, 09:53:13 AM »
I suspect this poor kid was the victim of the current PFD laws. Rents a kayak, throws a PFD inside and heads out. Falls off, boat and PFD drift away and he drowns. May also be case of him being a very poor swimmer.
The leash, for me anyway, remains the most valuable safety device. If that were to fail then having a waist PFD is a good fallback. Strapping a PFD to a board is worse then not having one as it may give someone a false sense of security.

http://timesofsandiego.com/crime/2014/08/25/teen-who-died-after-kayak-capsized-was-exchange-student/

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2014, 11:03:15 AM »
Starman--totally agree with you.  The article says he was was "separated from his pfd", and like all drowning articles, states that he wasn't wearing a pfd.  In SUP drownings, it would be great if articles said the victim "was not wearing a pfd or a leash".   It would remind people that there's more than one way to provide safety.

Also, at the Gorge race, I told gorgebob (who is the master of pointing out obvious things that aren't obvious until he points them out) about the no-pfd-required rule.  He said something like, "Was there a box you had to check on the entry form that says you know how to swim?"  He may have the only rental place that does ask people that really obvious question. 

It's pretty remarkable that the pfd has totally supplanted swimming ability as a safety strategy.  Nobody who is required to have a pfd is required to know how to swim.   And while almost every article about drownings mentions whether there was a pfd, almost none mention if the victim knew how to swim. 

And seeing everyone racing without pfds really drove home how stupid it is that they're required.

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal