Author Topic: kids racer/ allround open water board.  (Read 3450 times)

55NSup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
kids racer/ allround open water board.
« on: August 09, 2014, 06:11:53 AM »
Hi,
my 9 yr old is enjoying small wind waves, flat water and easy down winders with me on his 9-0 Naish Keiko. That board has very very poor directional stability and is rather heavy, but super durable. It has huge rocker and 120 L. Volume. He bounces it off rocks. Great to fool around in wind waves  and play pirate, sup football and water fight games from too.

I built a 16-5 for myself last winter and am considering building a more race/open water / cruizing directionally stable board for him. Trying to figure out the basic dimensions.  Hes tried my 12-6 competitor, but its way too wide and big.
SURFTECH makes the JM 9-6 x26 140L and Bark Challenger 11-0 x24 156 L.
My boy weighs 33kg and according to a growth chart he should gain 18 kgs by the time he is 13 yrs. Id expect the board to be used 4 years.

Theres not much racing going on here- we might do one fun race thats run each year  2 hrs north of here. And the boy is more fun / excursion oriented than competitive. ( saves that for his soccer passion) 

So I could build a flatter bigger traditional board like the Naish Nalu, or a mini version of my 16-5.
Third option is  a board like Sic bullet 11 but 25 wide.

Anybody have experience with 9-13 year old paddlers on more specific kids and racing type boards? 

paolosup

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: kids racer/ allround open water board.
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2014, 05:37:06 PM »
My son, 12y loves our Naish One inflatable....which is also a race board....
14ft Naish Javelin GX X28; Naish One

outcast

• Peahi Status
  • Ambassador for Nihilistic Surf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2014, 05:52:38 PM »
The right used windsurfer will b just what you need.  My 9 paddles a Thommen slalom board that I had lying around....carbon, relatively flat rocker...etc.
it's like 21 wide and 90 liters....he even has a recylcled methane that I snapped and rebilt shorter.

ust find the right board in a consignment, ad sandthe non skid off....footstraps unsrew, and use th furthest aft for a leash hold.....I slapped some deck pad on it
Too many for the rack
Some in the shack
Some under decks
Some have straps

outcast

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2014, 06:57:32 PM »
today
Too many for the rack
Some in the shack
Some under decks
Some have straps

outcast

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2014, 07:02:51 PM »
if you want a bit of downwinding, then I would find a "freestylewave" shape which has a little bit of tail kick rocker.
This lad uses an Exocet 117 Cross in the surf..
Too many for the rack
Some in the shack
Some under decks
Some have straps

55NSup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2014, 02:04:44 PM »
want to bump this up. I´m not interested in buying a old windsurf board. I can easlily make a board, and old WS boards are not that easy to find here.

What i would like to hear is from people that have had kids on real race boards- right now i am designing a 10-0 version of the SIC Bullet 11, but wonder if i should try a more specific race design.

supLaz

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2014, 09:50:37 AM »
want to bump this up. I´m not interested in buying a old windsurf board. I can easlily make a board, and old WS boards are not that easy to find here.

What i would like to hear is from people that have had kids on real race boards- right now i am designing a 10-0 version of the SIC Bullet 11, but wonder if i should try a more specific race design.

I own the Bullet 12’6” for view weeks, this thing is really unbelievable.
If you can manage to downsize accurately  the Bullet 12 onto ~10’x 25”  ca. 150-180 L with a teeny  more tail rocker ,
the boy should get a perfect glidemachine in any circumstances for the upcoming 3-4 seasons.
Then you can listen to it : C'mon paps, won't wait always for you. ;D
You'll probably even need a SIC  to keep 'em up  ;)
« Last Edit: August 16, 2014, 10:18:45 AM by supLaz »
Laz

outcast

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2014, 09:52:24 AM »
Is this more in line with what you are looking for?

http://www.kingspaddlesports.com/kids-elite-ac-4/
Too many for the rack
Some in the shack
Some under decks
Some have straps

Blue crab

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2014, 08:48:12 AM »
Jut got my 8 & 9 yo sons the Bark Hero and it is great. Same shape as the dominator but pint size.  Lacks a DW shape but their balance is such that walking up and back on the board is a cinch. They can easily get glides and avoid pearling. The most important kid board parameter is speed rather than surfiness, because it can be pretty hard for any kid to muscle into bumps. The Kings board looks vicious.

peterp

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2014, 10:51:19 AM »
We've got a kid here who is also 9yo and around 30kg - he was riding a 10'6 x 22" proneboard. He's just gotten a custom 10'9 x 19" and he is flying on it. Just take a design you like for what he is going to be doing (flat/chop/downwind) and scale it down......
Personally I'd take a Javelin LE as it handles all of above. I actually let him try the 14' x 23" LE and it was way too big for him - he just didn't have the power to push it through the water - but his 10'9 is just right.

55NSup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2014, 01:45:02 PM »
I guess my first thought was right. To scale down my 16-5, adding some nose volume above deck. 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal