Author Topic: Disrespect of SUP surfing etiquette  (Read 17078 times)

cammar

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Disrespect of SUP surfing etiquette
« on: November 16, 2008, 05:54:27 AM »
Super fun surfing these days in Maui.

After a first couple of fantastic regular surfing sessions I had to switch to standup (much easier on my back). Still heaps of fun, but one thing has been bugging me though. About 80% of the pack of standup surfers (that now outnumber the regular ones in some breaks) is absolutely unrespectful of the etiquette and hog the waves leaving little chance to regular surfers to have their share of fun.

I thought about having made custom lycra shirts to wear when to go SUP surfing. On the back:
"Regular surfers can drop in on me (as long as it's safe)"
On the front:
"I'm not going to take advantage of my unfair advantage in catching waves"
or, if that is too long:
"Unfair advantages bug me".

That would give a strong message to the other standup surfers, don't you think?

Please post a comment here or on my blog http://mauisurfreport.blogspot.com/2008/11/how-kazuma-shaped-my-custom-surfboard_16.html if you have ideas for other sentences or if you want to join the initiative and share the cost of it.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
Re: Disrespect of SUP surfing etiquette
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2008, 06:54:34 AM »
I see it somewhat differently out here GP. Plenty of sharing going on, lots of drop in too, but usually done by prone surfers to prone surfers.

How about just "Don't be a wave hog" on the front and "No matter what you ride" on the back....or more positively "Share the waves".

I think your 1st version provides too much ammunition to the haters that exist amongst the prone crowd. They don't need any encouragement. We do need to educate SUPs to be use good sense and share a scarce resource or the hate will get worse though. I spoke to a newb a few weeks ago. He had dropped in on a longboarder and then fell right in front of him. He was a little testy at 1st but after a brief explanation he was fine with it and was good the rest of the day. I also made sure to call him into some waves and thank him later. Easy to do and it was also very visible to the prone crowd at the break. If they see us policing ourselves and sharing the stoke with them hopefully all the BS will eventually disappear.

Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

gjbstandup

• Sunset Status
  • SHARE THE PASSION
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2008, 10:43:16 AM »
Wanted to share these cartoon images with you all. Applies to all types of surfing...     Etiquette and Respect...

8-2 Wide Point
11-6  Starboard GO SUP

Tree

• Sunset Status
  • $BLA BOYZ$
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2008, 02:42:38 PM »
Please don't lump anybody with a paddle in their hands into this category. Apples and oranges... 

cammar

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2008, 11:22:01 PM »
Bob,
let me tell you what I saw saturday morning. 25 standup surfers (me included) and 3 regular ones. Not ALL of them, but MOST of the standuppers caught ALL of the good waves. Nothing left to the regular ones.
I was sorry and imbarrassed to the point that I sat next to each single one of them and told them:"I'm really sorry this shit is happening. Please feel free to drop in on me any time I'm on a wave you can catch too... as long as it's safe"
They all appreciated it.
Guess how many times they dropped in on me?
None.
Because I didn't catch any wave that they could have caught too. There were so many waves on the inside with no takers. So many.
You can't call those three guys haters.
Instead you can call those greedy standuppers wave hogs.

In the sunset session, there were way more regular surfers and still a bunch of standuppers. Quite the same story. But the regular were too many for me to speak to them all individually... that's why I thought about the shirt.

Gibsup, nice cartoons!

Tree stand, what do you mean? What's apples and what's oranges?
As Gibsup says it applies to all types of surfing. ALL of them.

Russell

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2008, 11:46:59 PM »
A great set of cartoons!!!!!!!!

But I would like to change the characters around and have it inform surfers what they should do when a sup is riding a wave.

In 1, surfers are always dropping in as they seam to thinks a sup should get off the wave when it gets to the inside. Especially boogie boarders. A friend is a surfer and has a phrase on the back of his helmet "if you can read this I have just dropped in on you".

In 4, surfers always seam to paddle out and duck dive the pocket and get very angry if you get close, so I mostly end up getting off the wave or going out the front and loosing the wave.

In 5, surfers should definitely learn this one.

In 6, this is always happening as they always paddle out in that position. I always paddle out much further away from the riding section.

Hope someone can do a set of cartoons for us S.U.Ps

I spent many years surfing both skis and kayaks so I am used to the way surfers behave towards craft that catch more waves and how to keep clear. Especially sitting around giving them plenty of waves. But maybe it is not the fact we catch more waves but we catch more longer waves.

S.U.P haters will love those cartoons as they hate Skis, Kayaks,

Have fun on the water.

Russell

Ps. cammar I would be embarrassed as well but what you witnessed is not special to stand up, surfers do it to themselves all the time. I have spent many sessions surfing where I have paddled back in with out catching a wave as people were always out maneuvering me.

shapeshifter

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2008, 03:13:36 AM »
yeah, been thinking about how the whole drop-in mentality all came about.
in another era we used to call 'em snake sessions... at least that's how it is in skateboarding terms.
whoever invented the hole... knew nothing.
...ooooO...................
...(.......)......Ooooo....
....\.....(.......(.......).....
.....\.__)........)...../.....
...................(__./......

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2008, 04:27:47 AM »
Like I mentioned on your blog GP its probably different location dependant. The vibe is different here.

1. We don't have the crowds (at least not as much) to deal with

2. For the most part everyone does share (what snaking is going on isn't usually by a SUP  (see #3))

3. the SUP to prone ratio is nowhere near that. Usually 10-1 prone to SUP or more. That will change no doubt....we're slow to catch on.

I'm just concerned given the popularity of your blog that your giving ammo to the haters in all locations and they certainly do exist.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Paddle-Plappe

• Peahi Status
  • Hoe he'e nalu stoked
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2008, 06:15:20 AM »
Got enough wave?

Yesterday, as I was surfing, I told once to the only one kid shortboarder to go on my wave. Later he did the same but the wave was hollower or he didn't see me. As we were very close, he felt on my board. He had no leash so we rode both on the same board. This was a lot of laugh...

Byronmaui

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2008, 09:57:58 AM »
Why do you need a billboard? Why don't you talk with the SUP guys that are hogging the waves instead of the prone guys? You did half the job by apologizing to the prone guys but maybe better results would have come by talking to the SUP hogs you saw. If you don't speak with the SUP hogs then nothing will change and the situation will be the same or get worse when you are not there. If Ponobill witnessed the same thing he should have spoken with the SUP hogs also. I think us not saying anything will only let the problem get out of control. I wish I was paying more attention but was having fun at the end closeout section with Frank and Noah away from the peak.

Aloha

Byron

Paddle Hard

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2008, 10:31:05 AM »
I've seen some hog SUPs in the line up. So when that happens, I always make it a point to talk to the prone surfers and cheer them on when the sets rolls in. "Go brah, dis your wave." Sooner or later there's always a good wave that I would be in the right place to take off on with no one around.  Some, not all SUP surfers do need to have better etiquette in the line up. For myself, I paddle out, get some excersize, catch a few waves, chat with other surfers, talk story, make everybody out there my friend, even the surfer who drops in on me. That's my surf session.

Aloha,

PH

NOTE: I'm not in a surf competition, but some surfers act and surf like their competing.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2008, 10:32:56 AM by Paddle Hard »

Byronmaui

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2008, 10:37:08 AM »
Not to change the subject but Paddle hard were you out at kanaha sunday morning? If so I think I chatted with ya about PSH and Maile point.

Aloha

Byron

Paddle Hard

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2008, 02:29:50 PM »
Not to change the subject but Paddle hard were you out at kanaha sunday morning? If so I think I chatted with ya about PSH and Maile point.

Aloha

Byron

Howzit Byron,

Yup, thats me, I'm looking at getting my PSH board real soon. We had a good time until the winds pickup yah. Did you know that it settled down afterwards. My wife locked me in the house and wouldn't let me back out to play. I wonder, is that a crime. See you and your family out on the next swell.

Aloha,

PH

cammar

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2008, 08:38:15 AM »
Byronmaui,
the stnaduppers were 25, and even though not all were hogging the waves, they were still too many to talk to.
That's why a shirt will be more effective. Everybody can read it and the message will be mostly for the hoggers.

Byronmaui

« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2008, 09:12:08 AM »
Byronmaui,
the stnaduppers were 25, and even though not all were hogging the waves, they were still too many to talk to.
That's why a shirt will be more effective. Everybody can read it and the message will be mostly for the hoggers.
Maybe keep it simple like " THERE WILL ALWAYS BE ANOTHER WAVE".

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal