Author Topic: New SUP Advocacy Board  (Read 22600 times)

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
New SUP Advocacy Board
« on: August 13, 2014, 04:25:13 PM »
Initiatives to further the goals of Stand Up paddling. Access rights, Laws, Ordinances, Enforcement policies, etc. It goes here. Bring your Megaphone.

Organizers of advocacy groups please contact us so we can get you set up with a SUP Advocate status on the Zone and possibly some additional no charge exposure opportunities. 
« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 04:28:38 PM by Admin »

Socalsupper70

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Re: New SUP Advocacy Board
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2014, 05:08:49 PM »
This is great!
Thanks again Randy-HPWA is looking forward to posting relevant info here.
We appreciate the opportunity.

All-coming soon will be a banner for all to click that will take you to HPWA. The only issue right now is the old site needs an extreme makeover.
We are working on it and hopefully soon we will get it going.
HE>I.com
Instagram- @supjuan

addapost

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2014, 05:18:20 AM »
Excellent idea Admin.
Bunch of old shit

HPWA Jack

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2014, 09:33:01 AM »

Good Morning Zone People;

HPWA is "IN The House!"

This association started in 2009.  The water patrol at Baby Beach, Dana Point Harbor, told the locals they had to wear life jackets on thier boards.  Later some guys got thrown out of the breaks, because their SUP boards were considered "vessels".  All of those incidents are old news now.  But, the PFD thing and the no paddle thing are still happening.

I'm Jack.  I went to Washington DC this spring to figgure out what it would take to get leashes made a legal alternative to PFD's for SUP.  The Coasties didn't like that too much.  So, I will go back there and demand that they give us exemption from PFD's.
1. They never studied the safety issue and have no legitimate reason to know that a PFD can save your life on a SUP
2. It has been shown that a PFD can cause you to fail to recover your board.

I have been asked to work on the paddle ban by two of my major associates.  I grew up in North San Diego County when there was very little competition for waves.  Although I live inland now, I believe I can relate to this problem.  But, perhaps some of you will welcome me, when I get my hands on a surf SUP and come to see the problem.  What I need is specific rule quotes from specific jurisdictions.

Government works for you!  The people who push have the inside track.  Our job is to push back and change lanes.

HPWA is reforming, after my buddy Steven passed away.  I won't bore you with the specifics.  But, this is to be an established organization rebuilt with new energy from new members, plus the 1500 people who supported our work over the years.  Any ideas are well appreciated.

SUP surf chick

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2014, 07:16:41 AM »
This new thread is a great idea. (Now, if we can get one started just for the women.....)

HPWA Jack, your organization......what kinds of issues do you take on besides the PFD issue? Are you taking on stuff like SUS bans at places like Sano and Churches? If you didn't see it yet, I was the one who SUP surf TW posted about on the thread "Kicked out of Churches" (he's my hubby).

We've been complaining for so long, but it's hard to know just how to get things done. I'm a long-time  activist  and writer/researcher by profession. I'm about ready to start to take this fight on. It seems like here is a good place to make connections with others who are already involved. 
Dina Whitaker
Living the dream in San Clemente!
Dogpatch (Sano) local
7'4" Simm style by Tom Whitaker

HPWA Jack

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2014, 08:30:43 AM »
Our major effort then and now is with USCG about the "wear or carry" PFD. 
We have been into Costal Commision and Orange County facilities for SUP and other paddlers with some success.
Personally, I was involved in State Parks over the years.  So, I am looking at this now. 
As an association, we have members and associates who race surf and cruise.  We are pleased to look at this as a focus of important rights.  I have initiated inquiries to pinpoint the issue and the authority.
I would like share information with you.  I would love to have new associates with political experience.

So, here are my questions:
Do the lifeguards say why paddles are not allowed?
Has anyone been ticketed, banned, or otherwise been officially disciplined?
Do we know at what level the authority is being assigned?

One of the comments on the other thread mentioned a call from the 'head lifeguard'.  Aparently these guys are State employees with some other jurisdictions following suit.

Can you help me isolate the safety issue, or is the issue just segregation for the pleasure of the users?
As a safety issue, it is going to be hard to defend.  Again, the other thread was informative.
However, the local guys have some discretion to operate the facilities for recreational enhancement.

I sent out a couple of inquiries from the top.  I know these will take some time.
Can you make some inquiries from the local side?
You have a central lifeguard office for So OC?, OC?  The real operations guys are in So Cal, as there is little service for the beaches here in Nor Cal. 

Somewhere between Sacramento and the tower at Churches, someone knows exactly who authorized the segregation.

SUP surf chick

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2014, 02:15:40 PM »
Jack,

I don't know the answers to any of your questions. However, those are good questions that deserve answers. Now that we have a name of the guy who supposedly is in charge, the superintendent (Brian Ketterer, the one I recounted in my post in the Kicked out of Churches thread) we have a place to start. No one else around here (San Clemente) seems to know anything, but there is a lot of complaining and speculation.

You are in Nocal? I think your questions are a good place to start with Mr. Ketterer. It would be easy enough to just pay him a visit and pose those and whatever other questions are appropriate.

I'm open to whatever info you have to share. You can email me at dinaoneheart@msn.com
Dina Whitaker
Living the dream in San Clemente!
Dogpatch (Sano) local
7'4" Simm style by Tom Whitaker

supthecreek

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2014, 02:34:51 PM »
Great use of the Zone Randy !!!
I think this has the potential to grow, as more Zoners feel increased regulations breathing down their necks.

Welcome Jack...  this is just what we needed... someone with the skill and desire to organize, promulgate issues and effect change.

I look forward to seeing what come up... thanks for your effort!

HPWA Jack

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2015, 11:56:41 AM »
I want to try to pull some threads back to this board.

December:  body of missing paddler found days after his board and vest were recovered
Today: "I hope no public money was spent in the free PFD giveaways'
Self rescue drill: buoyant v traditional kayak

Sorry about the lengthy post to update concerned parties about PFD regulation.  Sorry about the apparent bashing of ACA.  Sorry that I don't keep in the conversations better.

To recap:  The Coast Guard recreational boating safety program relies on a single organization for input on the subject of human powered watercraft safety.  That organization is American Canoe Association, based in Maryland and headed by Chris Stec, at least in the representation to USCG.
   Chris proposed an amendment to the law that would include SUP's with canoes, and kayaks as "paddlecraft".  The proposal makes no change to wear or carry regulation that might have saved the guywho died in December.  We may never know if wearing a belt pack or vest might have saved him.  We can only speculate that with a leash he would have at least been found.

Answer to giveaway program:
Mustang, a leading supplier of military PFD's, sold millions of dollars of belt pack and vest PFD's for the giveaway programs funded by the Fed and performed by the states.  I can name four SUP race events in Calif that had tents where Calif gave away PFD's by Mustang.

Buoyant watercraft and self rescue drills:
I proposed to the Coast Guard that legislation consider human propelled vessells for safety regulation by buoyancy.  The comment about doing a self rescue drill in a traditional kayak is really important, because its hard and lots of people die because they are not prepared to do it.  Anyone can remount a sit atop!  And, anyone can remount a SUP unless they are incapacitated or separated from the craft.

Stec, as chairman of the subcommittee, refused to discuss my proposal!
This year, we are going to see a whole lot of new paddlers on the water in SUPs and yak boards.  These things are getting cheaper and in a whole lot of stores that do not have the support of staff trained in safety instruction.

IN 2013, five people died on SUP's.  It will be a miracle if there are fewer in 2014 or 2015. 

But, here is the big question to me, not to you.  Why do I feel responsible?  I am the only person who went to Washington to debate with Chris Stec and ask USCG to consider intelligent regulation of buoyant paddle propelled watercraft.  Chris Stec's proposal is stupid and dangerous!

SUP advocacy is really important, but I am not getting enough help to keep it alive.  So, I am going to get a bottle of wine and get drunk.  Hehe, I am going to get a lot of wine.  Point being, I am going on the road to sell wine and won't be doing any more events for HPWA.  Anyone want to carry the ball and save some human lives from dying on a paddleboard because USCG wont take this opportunity to use smart regulation?

I will continue to email to the 1500 people that signed petitions to the Coast Guard.  Those petitions didn't make a dent with USCG or thier toady.

supthecreek

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2015, 07:58:46 PM »
Jack, thanks for your work, worry and dedication. It is apparently a thankless task.
Drink some wine, then go for a paddle. Enjoy your life. Don't look back.
You have NO responsibility for outcomes of individual safety. None. Every person carries soul responsibility for their own safety.... regardless of rules.
65 mph speed limit does not mean 65 is safe for all people, all cars, all weather, all the time. Shit happens.

My only dog in this fight is not to ask the government to properly protect us, it's to leave us the hell alone, we'll do fine without them.
Case in point.... canoes and SUP share almost nothing in common. The safety concerns are totally different. SUPs do not flip over, fill with water and sink.
I said years ago on this forum, that SUP should have a stand alone organization to advocate for SUP only, to protect access and fight regulations.

People who die because of too little government control, will die with unlimited control as well.

lucabrasi

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2015, 08:11:30 PM »
Jack, thanks for your work, worry and dedication. It is apparently a thankless task.
Drink some wine, then go for a paddle. Enjoy your life. Don't look back.
You have NO responsibility for outcomes of individual safety. None. Every person carries soul responsibility for their own safety.... regardless of rules.
65 mph speed limit does not mean 65 is safe for all people, all cars, all weather, all the time. Shit happens.

My only dog in this fight is not to ask the government to properly protect us, it's to leave us the hell alone, we'll do fine without them.
Case in point.... canoes and SUP share almost nothing in common. The safety concerns are totally different. SUPs do not flip over, fill with water and sink.
I said years ago on this forum, that SUP should have a stand alone organization to advocate for SUP only, to protect access and fight regulations.

People who die because of too little government control, will die with unlimited control as well.

none too shabby for an old white guy full of chocolate and ibuprofen. oh wait..........you still trying to poison that crud with...vodka?  ;)
« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 08:14:29 PM by lucabrasi »

HPWA Jack

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2015, 10:24:42 AM »
Well, intelectually, I know I have no responsibility to the next dead idiot who decided to learn to SUP in deep water, strong wind, and a PFD attached to his board with the leash provided.  And, I understand that SUP needs an independent association to represent the rights and interests of users.

For and OWG I am pretty naiive.  I really thought that the manufacturers and the other associations would shoulder up and help me pay some bills to travel to DC to represent the SUPpies to the bureaucrats.  I got a couple of checks to cover air fare, but basically I have footed my own tab for the year of 2014.

One of the checks came from a guy who complained about vultures.  He thought they were the elected officials.  But, that aint the case.  The bureaucracy in this case is a system of state safety officers, federal safety officers, and some professionals who run businesses that must work with that "Culture of Boating Safety". 

Remember that none of these people are there to represent the interests of SUPpers.  One gets paid to work with "paddlecraft".  And, I can tell you he has a bad attitude about people like us that come from the surf culture, particularly the Orange County people.  This single "expert" debated with me about almost everything.  There were no attempts to reach out to additional sources to determine which of us was right and which of us was wrong about critical issues.

Anyone who has ever fought a development or a local ordinance had the opportunity to learn about how it works in government.  If the "powers that be" don't want to lose, they just drag it out and the protesters get tired of going to the public hearings.  When only those who are paid to be there are left, action can be taken.

I thought that SUP, as a huge growing sport deserved special treatment in the law.  Absent that, I have learned thier language and attempted to sync into thier tempo.  The resolution heading toward becoming an amendment to the Code of Federal Regulation delays any serious attempts at looking at stand up paddle specific safety issues by another seven years.  (2008, memo to include SUP in vessel carriage enforcement)

Any intention toward real efforts to save lives may be considered sometime around 2025, when it is determined that identification of a boat or vessel by the type of propulsion mechanism in your hand is (pick one) illegal, unworkable, too difficult for some of the cops on the water.

You are correct that SUP needs legit representation.  ACA has assumed that role and wants HPWA to die.  We are comatose, but not dead like so many other SUP specifc organizations.  But, the law says that I can merge with a healthy non profit without penalty.  Any volunteers?

Socalsupper70

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2015, 03:32:52 PM »
this bums me out-working with Jack behind the scenes for a while has led me to the same conclusions-
Stec and ACA are the wrong choice to be the voice of SUP.
SUP desperately needs a strong voice and i hope someone-some organization can step up to tackle the pressing issues.
The sky is falling fairy tale is true.
It sucks to say i told you so.
SUP surfing may never be allowed at sano like it is in other places.
The wine thing is sounding good...
Many thanks to Jack and those that helped and Admin for creating the Category.
Carry on....
HE>I.com
Instagram- @supjuan

supsurf-tw

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2015, 04:47:22 PM »
SUP surfing may never be allowed at sano like it is in other places.

Even the SUPers don't want it so no, there will be no SUP at other Sano breaks. Been there done that.
Boards:

8-10 x 31 Egg
8-11 X 32 Double wing Fangtail Tom Whitaker
8-6 X 30 1\2  Inbetweener Tom Whitaker
8-4 x 30 Hyper quad Tom Whitaker (wife's now)
8-4 X 31 1\4.  Round (wide) Diamond Tail Quad Tom Whitaker
 9-4 X 30 1\2. Swallow Stinger Quad Tom Whitaker (ex wifes now)
10-0 Brusurf for teach

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal