Stand Up Paddle > SUP Advocacy

New SUP Advocacy Board

(1/3) > >>

Admin:
Initiatives to further the goals of Stand Up paddling. Access rights, Laws, Ordinances, Enforcement policies, etc. It goes here. Bring your Megaphone.

Organizers of advocacy groups please contact us so we can get you set up with a SUP Advocate status on the Zone and possibly some additional no charge exposure opportunities. 

Socalsupper70:
This is great!
Thanks again Randy-HPWA is looking forward to posting relevant info here.
We appreciate the opportunity.

All-coming soon will be a banner for all to click that will take you to HPWA. The only issue right now is the old site needs an extreme makeover.
We are working on it and hopefully soon we will get it going.

addapost:
Excellent idea Admin.

HPWA Jack:

Good Morning Zone People;

HPWA is "IN The House!"

This association started in 2009.  The water patrol at Baby Beach, Dana Point Harbor, told the locals they had to wear life jackets on thier boards.  Later some guys got thrown out of the breaks, because their SUP boards were considered "vessels".  All of those incidents are old news now.  But, the PFD thing and the no paddle thing are still happening.

I'm Jack.  I went to Washington DC this spring to figgure out what it would take to get leashes made a legal alternative to PFD's for SUP.  The Coasties didn't like that too much.  So, I will go back there and demand that they give us exemption from PFD's.
1. They never studied the safety issue and have no legitimate reason to know that a PFD can save your life on a SUP
2. It has been shown that a PFD can cause you to fail to recover your board.

I have been asked to work on the paddle ban by two of my major associates.  I grew up in North San Diego County when there was very little competition for waves.  Although I live inland now, I believe I can relate to this problem.  But, perhaps some of you will welcome me, when I get my hands on a surf SUP and come to see the problem.  What I need is specific rule quotes from specific jurisdictions.

Government works for you!  The people who push have the inside track.  Our job is to push back and change lanes.

HPWA is reforming, after my buddy Steven passed away.  I won't bore you with the specifics.  But, this is to be an established organization rebuilt with new energy from new members, plus the 1500 people who supported our work over the years.  Any ideas are well appreciated.

SUP surf chick:
This new thread is a great idea. (Now, if we can get one started just for the women.....)

HPWA Jack, your organization......what kinds of issues do you take on besides the PFD issue? Are you taking on stuff like SUS bans at places like Sano and Churches? If you didn't see it yet, I was the one who SUP surf TW posted about on the thread "Kicked out of Churches" (he's my hubby).

We've been complaining for so long, but it's hard to know just how to get things done. I'm a long-time  activist  and writer/researcher by profession. I'm about ready to start to take this fight on. It seems like here is a good place to make connections with others who are already involved. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version