Author Topic: Jimmy Lewis 8'7" Stun Gun review  (Read 28532 times)

surfinJ

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: Jimmy Lewis 8'7" Stun Gun review
« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2014, 12:33:23 AM »
My similar shape from Blane has to be specifically surfed from the tail.
Otherwise it won't turn. Being from old school single roots this is not
my default setting.  I like the results when it goes right.

I've read in another far away thread on the stun gun that the JL boards
can be ridden more forward.  Less back foot movement.
This sounds enticing to me and would love the chance to try one.

Kojack

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2014, 06:02:59 AM »
I love Jimmy's boards.  Simple timeless designs and great construction.  Carbon will be awesome.  Will be adding a stun gun in carbon and a black and blue to my quiver for sure next year.  I spent an hour on the stun gun a few months ago and absolutely loved it.

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2014, 07:47:09 AM »
SWEET RIDE! ...nice review too. I think those dims might just be a tad light for me though. My new ride is a bit fatter.

Cannibal Assassin SUP Demo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdpRgGCWQAg&list=UULhyIKBLFiXMBcrCDK63ZGw

One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"
9'11" PSH Hull Ripper-145 ltr    
9'3" PSH  Hull Ripper- 130ltr 
8'0" Corevac Assassin -127 ltr   
Paddles- Carbonerro PRO SERIES 85 & Riviera Camo at 70"

jarvissup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: August 07, 2014, 02:59:33 PM »
Hurricane Bertha/ Jimmy Lewis Stun Gun update:
The Aug 5th brought us some large waves, only a handful of hardy proners were able to get out through the 100+ yards of white wash. There is one spot that allowed us to paddle out and up into large(15')lefts that run for at least 200 yards. I took the 9'2" Stun Gun and was glad to have the length for the paddle speed needed to catch and ride these fast moving Hurricane waves. The speed down the face was amazing, and the sound the board made was wild as it hummed down the face. Thanks to Jimmy Lewis for such a sweet, smooth, predictable ride, that also rips.  August 6th saw the wind go west, and conditions along the eastern faces beaches of Cape Hatteras settle into a perfect day of beautiful surf. The 8'7" Stun Gun really shinned, I've been riding it in lots of conditions from Thigh to head high and having a blast, but perfect head + high peelers really made me appreciate this board. Smooth, ripping and predictable, I've had many great sessions, but I've never had a great session on a better board than this one. A++

supthecreek

« Reply #34 on: August 07, 2014, 03:39:48 PM »
Yeah jarvis.... nice shot!!!

Kojack

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: August 07, 2014, 04:40:11 PM »
awesome shot.  The surf in MA the past two days has been really fun.  The stun gun looks like it would have been an awesome board for the conditions that we had here on Nantucket the past 36 hours.

dietlin

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 18, 2014, 06:41:56 AM »
After much deliberation, I bought a Jimmy Lewis Striker 8'11".   Took it out for the first time yesterday in chest high beach break.  Conditions were kind of mushy and close-outty, so they favored the early entry afforded by SUPs & LBs.  the Striker does everything I want it to do.  Converts from rail to rail, nose rides, and is super stable.  You can take off paddling from the nose and it steers nicely from the front third.  I rode it with the stock 2+1 fin set up (center fin all the way forward and it felt very solid, might swap a smaller center fin in...) and it was joy to bury the rail on bottom turns.  Unless you're a total klutz, the wide nose does not get stuck in the wave face.  After 8 or so surf SUPs, I've finally come to realize that I like the feel of a board that does not have concaves on the bottom and that has harder/turned down rails - love the feel of them engaging with the wave face.  (Striker has a barely perceptible amount of concave in the nose to flat to vee thru the back third of the board.  My weak right knee (I'm a regular foot) also likes nonconcave boards because it doesn't have to work as hard to torque the board thru the turns.  Great board for New England conditions.  Don't see myself needing any more of a 'good' big wave board than the Striker.

ninja tuna

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 01, 2014, 10:38:58 AM »
Hey Jarvis,

Great review on the board.  I am about your size, 5'10 and 190.  I would like to hear what you think would be the biggest you would consider taking the 8'7" board out in.  Reason  being, I have a smaller mushy wave board that can actually handle some Florida hurricane swell pretty good.  I am considering some trips to Costa/ Panama next year was considering a board that may handle the steeper waves a little better.  I know on the wave it should be fine, but curious about the lower volume with paddling into bigger and/or steeper swells.  From everything I am reading, it seems these boards handle the later takeoffs better.  I am asking mainly about the 8'7" just in terms of traveling with the board on airlines. thanks

jarvissup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: October 01, 2014, 07:16:53 PM »
Hi Ninja Tuna,
The 8'7" Stun Gun is a great board in big surf. The Stun Gun is an amazing late take off board, it has a pulled in nose with plenty of scoop, and the nature of it's smooth ride really gives it control on those steep, fast drops. I really loved it this past summer on Hatteras. Hatteras is known for it's steep, hollow waves, but this summer was even more exciting with better than average surf and two big hurricane swells. That 8'7" Stun Gun was amazing, it makes me a better surfer.  At 8'7", the Stun Gun paddles faster than some other boards in it's class that are a few inches shorter. It's also very stable for it's dimensions, which helps the paddler to dig in and paddle fast. For all of these reasons, the Stun Gun is a great choice for a high performance board to venture into larger waves. Your original question was what "the biggest wave I would consider paddling the 8'7" Stun Gun into?" That's a good question and one that's hard to answer because I don't think I've found the 8'7"'s limitations yet. Certainly it has the paddle speed to get into double over head waves under the right conditions. I hope that answers your question, have fun down there.

ninja tuna

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 02, 2014, 08:30:01 PM »
Thanks for the feedback Jarvis.  Sounds good!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal