Author Topic: Do Sharks Attack Us?  (Read 73989 times)

standuped

• Sunset Status
  • Zapotocky family values
    • View Profile
Re: Do Sharks Attack Us?
« Reply #195 on: July 22, 2015, 04:03:38 PM »
Florida gear.. Bic 12'x31"~207L.. JP Fusion 10'8"x34"~190L..Angulo custom 9'6"x33"~160L.. SIC Fish 9'5"x29.6"~145L..Epic gear elite paddle~7"x75"..Oregon gear..JP Fusion#2..Foote Triton 10'4"x34"~174L.. Surftec Generator 10'6"x32.3"~167L..Kialoa Pipes 6 3/8"x75"...Me 6'1" 220 lbs circa 1959

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: July 23, 2015, 05:44:23 AM »
One set of fins--dorsal and Caudal. Hard to tell what kind of shark it was from the fin shape. Doesn't look definitively like a whiite, and if it was, it was a juvie.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: July 23, 2015, 09:48:17 AM »
Commissioner interviewed about shark attack at J Bay. There is a funny comment in the Youtube comment section about how the locals are right back out there shredding.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=za9n0oQ5RgY
Pluto Platter: 7-10 x 29.25 x 4.25 x 114.5 liters

capobeachboy

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: July 23, 2015, 09:56:39 AM »
Mick Fanning Wasn’t Really Attacked by That Shark

http://www.outsideonline.com/2001211/mick-fanning-wasnt-really-attacked-shark

And per outsidewave's comment about SanO that is something to think about.  Some species of shark display different characteristics in different environments.  I've heard of attacks by Leopard and Nurse sharks in different parts of the world but we swim & paddle with them all the time here. I was talking to a marine biologist at SanO a couple years ago about the GWS breaching and he said that's a characteristic of transitioning from eating fish to marine mammals. A few days later I saw a sea lion offshore swimming north and not long after Fluffy jumped just outside the surfline.   

West Coast Distributor
Dolphin Surfcraft
DEEP Ocean Boards
Ambassador/team rider/rep
KeNalu Paddles

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: July 23, 2015, 10:21:41 AM »
True, just like some humans are gnarlier than others, so are some sharks. Same goes for bears too.

This is a longer video interviewing Mick Fanning and others after the event.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VQJ5_NyDDs

Mick Fanning Wasn’t Really Attacked by That Shark

http://www.outsideonline.com/2001211/mick-fanning-wasnt-really-attacked-shark

And per outsidewave's comment about SanO that is something to think about.  Some species of shark display different characteristics in different environments.  I've heard of attacks by Leopard and Nurse sharks in different parts of the world but we swim & paddle with them all the time here. I was talking to a marine biologist at SanO a couple years ago about the GWS breaching and he said that's a characteristic of transitioning from eating fish to marine mammals. A few days later I saw a sea lion offshore swimming north and not long after Fluffy jumped just outside the surfline.
Pluto Platter: 7-10 x 29.25 x 4.25 x 114.5 liters

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #200 on: July 25, 2015, 01:48:00 AM »
Jbay today...

A beautiful summer’s morning that saw the JBay Surf Lifesaving Club doing training swims at Main Beach and surfers snorkelling or paddling along the coast, turned out to be fatal to one of the JBay open water swimmers who was attacked by a shark at Point earlier today.

Eye witnesses saw a commotion just beyond the take off spot at Point and eventually a shark was spotted attacking a body in the water.

One of the local surfers, Terry Olivier paddled out on a craft to see what was going on and found a 3-4 m shark taking bites from the swimmer.

Terry hit the shark with his paddle but it just kept on attacking the victim. The shark was much longer than his paddle craft.

The NSRI responded and the shark eventually moved away. The professional manner in which the NSRI went about their business is much appreciated by all of Jeffreys Bay.

The name of the swimmer has not yet been released.

The JBay ocean community is in shock over the incident as many of them swim along the coastline on a regular basis and Point is one of the most popular surf breaks in town.

Local swimmer Brenton Williams said that it is the first fatal shark attack to ever have occurred in Jeffreys Bay.

“The attack happened just off Point and there are a crew of swimmers who regularly swim this section of coastline, said Williams.

“We are all aware of the risks involved with ocean swimming and the danger of a shark attack is something we cannot control but we do minimise the risk by not swimming if there are birds and dolphins feeding or if sharks have been spotted in the area.”

“The swimmer who was attacked today was a highly experienced ocean swimmer and swam along the coast more than anybody else in Jeffreys Bay”, added Williams.

The Kouga Municipality took the precautionary measure of closing the beach.

Our deep condolences to the family and friends.

ninja tuna

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: July 25, 2015, 06:55:02 AM »
DJ, that report has been reported as false.  Not trying to discredit you in any way. I just went looking to see other reports on it and this is what I found.

http://www.9news.com.au/world/2015/07/25/18/05/south-african-police-deny-media-reports-of-fatal-shark-attack-at-jeffreys-bay

South African police have denied media reports that a swimmer has been killed by a shark at Jeffreys Bay today.

A report of a fatal shark attack was picked up by two surfing websites and was briefly posted on 9news.com.au this afternoon.

It has since been confirmed that the story was incorrect. 9news.com.au regrets the error.

Last week, Australian surfer Mick Fanning was attacked by what was believed to be a great white as he waited for his first wave during the final of the J-Bay Open.

After some thrashing and a moment when he punched the shark, which bit into and severed his leg rope, Fanning was rescued by a jet ski and taken to shore alongside competitor Julian Wilson.

Fanning returned to the water for a surf for the first time this morning.

Read more at http://www.9news.com.au/world/2015/07/25/18/05/south-african-police-deny-media-reports-of-fatal-shark-attack-at-jeffreys-bay#MZCQQ22B4A4qwmkE.99

capobeachboy

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: July 25, 2015, 06:17:21 PM »
Still it's a fact of life in SA.  Shaun Thompson's dad Ernie was attacked by a shark off South Beach while training for the South African Olympic swimming team way back in 1946. I guess you just learn to live with it.  I remember when I was living in Australia one of the lifeguards I worked with told me most of the sharks that get caught in the nets around the city beaches are usually going out not coming in.
West Coast Distributor
Dolphin Surfcraft
DEEP Ocean Boards
Ambassador/team rider/rep
KeNalu Paddles

OUTSIDEWAVE

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #203 on: July 26, 2015, 02:27:24 PM »
what about those electronic shark things that  send out an electronic pulse to keep sharks away  wonder if one of those would have worked?
SEA BIRDS THEY DO TOUCH AND GO AS THE WORLD JUST TANGOES BY.... SO I SADDLE UP MY SEAHORSE WITH MY FLYROD IN MY HAND.... 10'3 King custom  10'6"  c4 da beachboy

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal