Author Topic: Planer mod question for recessing decks  (Read 1531 times)

createinquiry

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Planer mod question for recessing decks
« on: July 10, 2014, 06:32:38 AM »
I appear to have hit the limit of my planer when recessing the deck. My issue (diagram below) is that the leading plate on the planer is striking the foam where I'm transitioning back to the normal deck height. Before I take a grinder to the leading edge of the planer, anyone have any clever tricks?

I am due (wife agrees!) for a new planer as this HF planer is now spitting out equal amounts foam and shredded plastic. Here's a picture of the board in process. Hoping to finish shaping in the next two days, then on to my first vac bag lamination.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Planer mod question for recessing decks
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2014, 08:48:02 AM »
I use a bigger router with a 3" long bit and jig for any deep recesses. It's way more accurate. I attach two masonite (wood) guides along the rails using long drywall screws right into the foam. The guides slope following the deck recess I want. The I have a router guide (jig) that spans from guide to guide. I detail the corners and transitions by hand. If you want a little ridge or concave, build a jig with an arch.

I have decades of experience with planers, but they are not my go to shaping tool. Specially with 1# EPS.

This photo is an example of the jig. The router shown is one of my smaller routers, in a shaping box I made. You get the idea....   
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2014, 09:43:58 AM »
Yup, use a router. Or rough it with the planer and sand it to the finished contour. I was about to buy a couple of routers and a plane to shape some boards when I remembered that I'm better at electronics and welding than I am at hand tools. So one of my next projects is a shaping mill. Should be done about 2024, when I'm 77 -- or pushing daisies.

Maybe I should just get good at shaping software and rent time on a machine.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2014, 09:54:48 AM »
i have just used my sander with a 40 grit pad in the past as its easy to see what you are doing but the router is probably a safer bet if you have one.

Bill you defantly have to set aside a lot of time and a few years to build a good cnc mill, i never thought it would be so time consuming to build however when its done you will hear me whooping from here!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal