Author Topic: PFD and downwinding/touring  (Read 9748 times)

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: PFD and downwinding/touring
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2014, 01:03:54 PM »
Most people who have a kayak-style PFD wind up leaving them tied to the nose, where they do no good at all.

I agree.. and this is why it's not a good idea.. http://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php?topic=6944.0

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2014, 01:23:01 PM »
Most people who have a kayak-style PFD wind up leaving them tied to the nose, where they do no good at all.

I agree.. and this is why it's not a good idea.. http://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php?topic=6944.0
1st thing I thought of when the post came up. Anyone that questions the need just has to read this.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2014, 01:23:10 PM »
oops...double posted
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2014, 02:31:23 PM »

Holy cow, DJ.  Kudos to you for keeping a cool head and not panicking.   
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

Tecpartner

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2014, 03:01:53 PM »
I use the belt pack inflatable (without cartridge) when the water is warm, just to avoid a ticket.  I use a kayak pfd, which is actually a low profile surfski racing pfd, when the water is cold.  I worry about cramping up in a fall into cold water.   I want my head to pop up quickly in those conditions. I use a leash (almost) always, even in flat water with no wind.

coldsup

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2014, 03:15:21 PM »
Wow - that is some story DJ. Just shows how dangerous things can get quickly.

Now just for total clarification....can you guys provide me url links to the sort of flotation devices you are actually saying are the most practical/safe? Thanks

When I say kayak style I mean this kind of pfd http://www.wwc.co.uk/product_view.php?id=347

From what I see in DJ's pics of his close encounter it is the same sort of pfd he was wearing?

Why would you tie these to the front of your board?

Sorry...I am confused!
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 03:30:21 PM by coldsup »

hbsteve

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2014, 04:19:36 PM »
Tying them to your board is legal.  So, that keeps you within the law.  Stupid, but legal.

coldsup

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2014, 04:32:44 PM »
Tying them to your board is legal.  So, that keeps you within the law.  Stupid, but legal.

Aye, the world has gone mad :)

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2014, 04:47:24 PM »

It's bad enough they make us carry them.

It would be an even stupider law if they required us to wear them.

Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

blackeye

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2014, 10:14:57 AM »

It's bad enough they make us carry them.

It would be an even stupider law if they required us to wear them.

I suppose hbsteve's comment could be taken two ways:
     - The law is stupid because it makes us carry unnecessary PFD's, or
     - that it is meaningless because it lets us comply by carrying the PFD in a manner that defeats the purpose of the PFD.

I read it the second way yet I am guilty of tying down my PFD when it's too hot to wear.

Law aside, we are of two camps here: Those that see the utility of wearing a PFD, and those who don't. That's a convenient grouping as there is little middle ground here. You either need one or you don't. A Venn diagram springs to mind, one of those who wear PFD's and those who need to rely on them.

In the bad old days of teaching sailing the rule was "shirts on, wear a PFD". Flipping that logic around and applying it to modern times, I'm looking for a belt pack inflatable for hot days.

blackeye

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2014, 10:44:08 AM »
I wonder if Adobe's latest would the law at bay

hbsteve

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2014, 11:12:50 AM »
Blackeye-I must be an old sailor. We had to pass a swim  test before we could learn to sail. Then there was a legal float seat cushion w handles in the boats.  No drowned youth sailors in the 10 yrs. Plenty of Capsizes & swamps.

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2014, 11:16:25 AM »
I only wear my Belt pack PFD in conditions where I might need it like a heavy downwinder or large offshore surf. The rest of the time it stays stowed on my board.

Ninetyfive percent of the paddling I do is in conditions where a PFD has no use at all. In those conditions it's merely a compliance.

If I surf or attach a sail to my board, I'm not required to carry a PFD. 

It all comes down to the Coast Guard determining that a paddleboard is a vessel which was a mistake on their part. The paddleboard PFD rule has nothing to do with safety. It's simply a result of ignorance.

If they really thought it through, the leash would be the only safety requirement for paddleboards. Apparently they don't have the time to waste on such trivial things.

Now if someone would just invent an unbreakable leash we'd be all safe.

« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 11:25:09 AM by Shoals »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

blackeye

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2014, 11:29:46 AM »
hb - my turn for not being clear - The other half of the rule was pfd's off only when shirts are off. That would never fly today.

We didn't lose any either, shirts on or off. But we did rescue some and pfd's assisted in that.

blackeye

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2014, 11:35:19 AM »
I hesitate posting this because we don't need more extreme examples, but as he said, "The ocean's the boss".

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal