Author Topic: Fin for improved tracking and stability?  (Read 9632 times)

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
Re: Fin for improved tracking and stability?
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2014, 02:45:55 PM »
For the Falcon 14FT The Hybrid is fast but doesnt seem to add stability So in smooth flatwater it is the call
Once you see 1ft chop cross or head on the Gladiator really shines with the added stability and DW the Gladiator ROCKS!
I did this in side by side testing with a buddy of mine who also has a Falcon 14FT neither one of us are "Pro level racers" just regular Joe's out for some fun. I don't know anything about a Gladiator PRO except Larry makes great race fins
We have both these fins in stock and the ZONER discounts apply

JimK
www.extremewindsurfing.com

WingSuit

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2014, 05:55:27 PM »
I use the gladiator fin in most conditions, and although my board is a bit slow to turn with it, it's a bit slow to turn anyway. Definitely faster stronger and more stable though. 

Sent from my SM-T520 using Tapatalk

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
  • Super Natural British Columbia
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2014, 09:11:57 PM »
After going back and forth between the Joe Bark fin and the Hybrid, I seem to be getting about the same result from both.
I am wondering if I am too much of a newbie and too slow to make the difference .
The Hybrid should be by all account a better fin.

I did get a Gladiator Hybrid from Casey a couple of weeks ago for my SB Touring 14.
I cannot compare it to the Elite but I have the original Bark/Laird/Allison fin (the one that was coming with the Dominator and now sold by Future Fins).
In terms of stability the Laird fin is giving more than the Hybrid and tracks as well. But the Hybrid makes the board more lively. With the Laird the board is on a rail and it feels like nothing will happen. With the Hybrid, the board gives more feed-back and makes the ride more interesting. It also feels like it is somewhat easier to get the board planning downwind.
I am wondering what a Gladiator Pro would feel like.
I am doing a lot of cross-chop, upwind, quartering and bit of downwind (short sequence chop no nice swell) plus the inevitable board wakes.

Cheers,

Luc
Sunova Allwater 14'x25.5" 303L Viento 520
Sunova Torpedo 14'x27" 286L Salish 500
Naish Nalu 11'4" x 30" 180L Andaman 520
Sunova Steeze 10' x 31" 150L
Blackfish Paddles

Board Stiff

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2014, 04:25:13 AM »
I ended up getting the Gladiator Elite. First thing I noticed when I picked it up is that it is really heavy. Compared to the stock RaceAce fin on my Falcon, it has a lot more surface area, but due to the sharp angle and width, that area is spread out more horizontally, so the top of the fin doesn't go as deep in the water. Once mounted on my board, the Gladiator, with its sharp angles, red color, gladiator logo, and funky trailing edge just looks badass!  :D

My first paddle with the Gladiator was at this Saturday's Cushing Island race, which had a combination of flat water, cross current, boat wakes, and reflected ocean swells/chop. Conditions on the course were very fast, and everyone improved on their previous best times, but I dropped about 10% off my time, which was probably the biggest improvement. The board seemed to track relatively well when paddling across the incoming tidal current, and on the choppy backside of Cushing, I was able to focus on propelling the board forward rather than stabilizing myself, and I felt the board gliding through the slop while maintaining speed a lot better than usual. On the home stretch, with flat water and moving with the current, the board felt very fast, with good glide and no noticeable increase in glide.

On Sunday, I went out for a 9 mile paddle around Alton Bay on Lake Winnipesaukee. The water was mostly flat, with a lot of boat wakes coming from the side, and a tail wind heading out/headwind coming back. My board felt very stable again, even when passing over some steep boat wakes from the side. It had good glide and felt fast too, and my 4.0 mph average speed was higher and over a much longer distance than most of my recent paddles.

Overall, I'm very happy with the Gladiator Elite for racing, touring, and training in both flatwater and ocean conditions. I haven't tried it in downwind conditions or surf yet, and the Hybrid's extra maneuverability may be more advantageous in those conditions. But I can always put my stock fin back on in those instances if i want to loosen up the board. For maximum stability and speed in any other condition, I'm very happy with the Gladiator Elite.  ;D

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
Today at 12:51:49 PM
post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
Today at 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard