Author Topic: Choosing a board size - volume  (Read 5034 times)

SeaMe

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Choosing a board size - volume
« on: July 09, 2014, 01:11:55 PM »
Looks like my thread didn't post the first time, so I'm trying this again. Sorry if it shows up twice :-[

I was flipping through The Art of Stand Up Paddling by Ben Marcus and saw his chart for choosing a board size, which is organized by length, width and thickness (see sample below). However, here on the Zone when people ask about boards, the answer is mostly given in terms of volume (liters).  Does anyone know of or have a chart comparable to Marcus' which is based on volume or at least includes it among the measurements?
“I must be a mermaid, Rango. I have no fear of depths and a great fear of shallow living.” ― Anaïs Nin
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>
Fanatic Fly HRS 10'6"
Fanatic Ray HRS BVI 12'0" ヾ(@°▽°@)ノ

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
Re: Choosing a board size - volume
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2014, 01:24:19 PM »
How old is that book? The sizes given seem so 2009.. ;)

Not sure why someone with advanced ability would rely on such a generalized chart. I would place myself somewhere between novice and advanced. According to that I should be on (at least) a approx. 11' x 30" board for surf....how boring....guess my 8-4, 9-0, 9-8, and 10-6 are all too small for me.... ::)...and after a holiday weekend I may even have to surf my 12-6... >:(

There was a similar chart for volume around somewhere...maybe one of Colas old posts?
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 01:32:00 PM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

SeaMe

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2014, 01:46:12 PM »
How old is that book? The sizes given seem so 2009.. ;)
2012 actually. 

There was a similar chart for volume around somewhere...maybe one of Colas old posts?

I'm looking... 6 pages in, 26 to go.
“I must be a mermaid, Rango. I have no fear of depths and a great fear of shallow living.” ― Anaïs Nin
Fanatic Fly HRS 10'6"

supdiscobay

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2014, 02:16:46 PM »
Check out this page on the King's Paddlesports site-
Based on the boards I have ridden from Kings, this is pretty accurate.

http://www.kingspaddlesports.com/boardvolume/

8'5" Starboard Pocket Rocket, 8'0" Kazuma Fugu custom,  8'10" Kings Sidewinder, 10' Starboard Noserider, 14' BARK Carbon Dominator, SIC F16 V3, KeNalu and Quickblade paddles, 19' Eaton Prone, 67" Goode 9700

RATbeachrider

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2014, 02:30:37 PM »

+1.  I used King's formula in conjunction with this formula: paddler's weight in pounds x .45 x glide factor.  Glide factor: advance - 1.3, intermediate - 1.7, novice - 2.

Example - 150lbs x .45 x 1.3 (advance paddler) = 87.75 liters.

anonsurfer

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2014, 08:25:10 PM »
I find the guild factor method pretty accurate.  i.e. 1.3 - 2.0 x weight in kg depending on skill level (<1.3 = Advanced, 1.3-1.7 = Intermediate, >1.7 = Beginner).

You can then refine length, width, and thickness based on the determined volume and what you are looking for in a board. 
Home Break: Doheny
Tic Tac v3 (Hoglet): 6' 6" x 23" x 3.6" x 67L
Omni: 6' 9" x 23" x 3.75" x 68L
Tic Tac (OG): 7' 0" x 22.75" x 3.5" x 70L
In The Pink (Incoming): 8' 0" x 22.9" x 3.25" x 70L

Blackproject Surge S77 (Soft Flex Shaft, T-Grip, +0" OH)

SeaMe

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2014, 08:40:14 PM »

It's an interesting tool. I never expected the jump in recommended volume between touring boards and other shapes. However, the tool leaves one question unanswered: how much volume is too much?
Fanatic Fly HRS 10'6"

supthecreek

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2014, 09:17:53 PM »
So many variables... you can go much lower in volume if you go with more width.

I looked at the widths in your chart... I couldn't balance on anything that he recommended at my weigh/ability.... way too narrow for me.(27-28.5")

But I do surf much lower volume on a 31" wide board.

I just jump on everyones board to see what the variable feel like

AJR

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Choosing a board size - volume
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2014, 05:32:27 AM »
There's no magic chart that works for all - more than length & width plays into the equation such as nose/tail/rail shape, volume, bottom contours, etc. That being said RATs formula pretty closely gave me the volume I surf...

RATbeachrider

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2014, 10:29:32 AM »

It's an interesting tool. I never expected the jump in recommended volume between touring boards and other shapes. However, the tool leaves one question unanswered: how much volume is too much?

I guess if you can stand parallel sideways (both feet are at 90* to the stringer) then too much volume.  The other end of the spectrum ... not enough volume caused you to constantly paddling/moving just to stay afloat.

14 West

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2014, 09:02:17 PM »
The Kings one is pretty close. At 185lbs and Expert it says 101L which isn't too far off the 92L I actually ride.
Don't forget to bring a towel!

BWilliam

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Mongrel Combative Arts
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2014, 06:14:50 AM »
So according to the King's page I should be looking for a 330L board.

Volume and width, width and volume? The Glide I'm currently riding is listed at about 270L and I can ride that fine though I would tend to use another Zoner's term to describe the way it feels when things get dicey..."nervous". I was checking out a 14'x25 Starboard Ace that's listed at 308L, but according to archived threads here, folks describe that as a board for lighter riders (under 200). For what's available locally, A Dominator popped up but it's in the Pro-lite version and I've read it will dent if you look at it wrong. ;) A Bark Expedition, but the volume is listed around the 230's and it's outdated anyway. ;)

The only boards I know of off-hand that get up around that 330L number are the LPC 14' River Rover and the Boardworks 14' Great Bear. I didn't want to go custom yet, but living on the far side of the bell curve seems to be forcing my hand.

Will

addapost

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2014, 05:44:06 PM »
So according to the King's page I should be looking for a 330L board.

Volume and width, width and volume? The Glide I'm currently riding is listed at about 270L and I can ride that fine though I would tend to use another Zoner's term to describe the way it feels when things get dicey..."nervous". I was checking out a 14'x25 Starboard Ace that's listed at 308L, but according to archived threads here, folks describe that as a board for lighter riders (under 200). For what's available locally, A Dominator popped up but it's in the Pro-lite version and I've read it will dent if you look at it wrong. ;) A Bark Expedition, but the volume is listed around the 230's and it's outdated anyway. ;)

The only boards I know of off-hand that get up around that 330L number are the LPC 14' River Rover and the Boardworks 14' Great Bear. I didn't want to go custom yet, but living on the far side of the bell curve seems to be forcing my hand.

Will

It is not clear in the OP but I think this volume/size discussion is just for surf specific boards not the touring/race/down wind boards you are referencing. That's a whole other can of worms.  :D
Bunch of old shit

SeaMe

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2014, 05:16:20 PM »
It is not clear in the OP but I think this volume/size discussion is just for surf specific boards not the touring/race/down wind boards you are referencing. That's a whole other can of worms.  :D

Actually, information for both would be useful—can of worms welcome.  ;)
Fanatic Fly HRS 10'6"

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal