Author Topic: Bitten by a Great White at Manahttan Beach Today!  (Read 8377 times)

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Bitten by a Great White at Manahttan Beach Today!
« on: July 05, 2014, 04:58:42 PM »
Just read this on Yahoo.  A long distance swimmer got bitten by a great white shark today as he was swimming about 300 yards off the beach in Manhattan Beach.  He seems like he will be OK. 

http://www.grindtv.com/outdoor/nature/post/shark-at-end-of-fishermans-line-attacks-swimmer/

I know a guy got killed by a GW off of Solana Beach a few years ago, but I haven't heard of any problems since that. 
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

Puamana4me

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: Bitten by a Great White at Manahttan Beach Today!
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2014, 06:36:03 PM »
if you were a GW with a  hook in your mouth, you might be a little pissed off and perhaps bite someone.

the shark won however, the fisherman cut the line

kayadogg

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2014, 08:39:50 AM »
I've heard a few speculations about the fisherman... That he frequently fishes for sharks, that he chums, etc. and I saw a video taken from the pier during this attack. They were laughing about the shark being hooked and it seemed like it was all fun and games to them until that unfortunate swimmer got bit. Does seem like this shark was probably pissed off for being hooked and fighting for 30-40 minutes and probably lashed out at whatever was near him. Sucks for the shark and the swimmer. If this fisherman was chumming, I hope karma pays him a swift kick to the balls.

The Kernel

• Sunset Status
  • Dana Point, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2014, 10:14:03 AM »
" If this fisherman was chumming, I hope karma pays him a swift kick to the balls."

Or a civil suit....
Kernel:  Cutting through the bull**it.
"This is the kernel of the argument."

Over 50, but usually pushing it like I'm 25 and paying for it later.

8'0 L41 Simsup
9'2" T. Patterson Rising Sun
9'2" Riviera Nugg Turbo Carbon
10' Riviera Machete

SeaMe

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2014, 11:23:32 AM »
I've heard a few speculations about the fisherman... That he frequently fishes for sharks, that he chums, etc. and I saw a video taken from the pier during this attack. They were laughing about the shark being hooked and it seemed like it was all fun and games to them until that unfortunate swimmer got bit. Does seem like this shark was probably pissed off for being hooked and fighting for 30-40 minutes and probably lashed out at whatever was near him. Sucks for the shark and the swimmer. If this fisherman was chumming, I hope karma pays him a swift kick to the balls.

Someone explain to me why fisherman are allowed to do this? I'm all for fishing responsibly and I've seen people do it from the beach, however, it's always been when the beaches are closed to swimmers. Earlier this year some yahoos in Ft. Lauderdale did something that sounds similar to what happened at Manhattan Beach—they dragged a 13ft Hammerhead to shore. Below is the video, forward to the 0:39 mark—that's not an empty stretch. 

I'd love to know where the lifeguards were (Ft. Lauderdale has them year-round) during this.

It's funny, someone on a 10ft board with a paddle is an imminent danger to swimmers, but pissing off a massive shark and dragging it into the swim zone isn't?  :o
“I must be a mermaid, Rango. I have no fear of depths and a great fear of shallow living.” ― Anaïs Nin
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>
Fanatic Fly HRS 10'6"
Fanatic Ray HRS BVI 12'0" ヾ(@°▽°@)ノ

Puamana4me

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2014, 11:33:51 AM »
It is well known locally, that earlier this year , a fisherman tragically lost their life, via a tiger shark attack while chumming on a kayak with their legs dangling in the water , slightly offshore of an island in Hawaii.

SeaMe

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2014, 11:48:23 AM »
I've heard a few speculations about the fisherman...

Why speculate when there's video:

“I must be a mermaid, Rango. I have no fear of depths and a great fear of shallow living.” ― Anaïs Nin
Fanatic Fly HRS 10'6"

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2014, 12:30:22 PM »
Why speculate when there's video:
I believe the "speculation" is whether or not the shark actually "bit" the swimmer, or whether is was a case of the shark moving and slashing around trying to get the hook out of its mouth....and the swimmer just happened to be in the area in which it was doing it.

A marine biologist that was interviewed (who works at the aquarium at the end of the pier), believed (speculated) that one of the swimmer's strokes actually caught the fisherman's line, and as a result, pulled the shark to him (or him to the shark), that was thrashing around with mouth open, trying to "spit the hook".  [Here's the interview....go to the 1:33 mark of the clip, and then the :59 sec mark of this one....]

By the looks of the wound(s) on the swimmer, that appears to be the more plausible event, as they look to be more of a "scrapping" type injury, and not a chunk taken out of him, had the shark actually chomped down/"bit" on him.

Again, JMO of the "speculative" reports coming from the evening news broadcasts out here.

EDIT: To add picture of swimmer's injury while being carried from the water. 
« Last Edit: July 06, 2014, 12:58:20 PM by SanoSup »
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

ninja tuna

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2014, 12:33:33 PM »

I'd love to know where the lifeguards were (Ft. Lauderdale has them year-round) during this.

That section of of Ft Lauderdale does not have lifeguards

SeaMe

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2014, 03:49:01 PM »
I believe the "speculation" is whether or not the shark actually "bit" the swimmer, or whether is was a case of the shark moving and slashing around trying to get the hook out of its mouth....and the swimmer just happened to be in the area in which it was doing it.

In the linked reports they confirm he was bit on the torso, under the arm.  ??? Now, if their science is accurate, juvenile or "baby" great whites have different teeth, hence it didn't take a chunk out of the swimmer. But he did get bit.

A marine biologist that was interviewed (who works at the aquarium at the end of the pier), believed (speculated) that one of the swimmer's strokes actually caught the fisherman's line, and as a result, pulled the shark to him (or him to the shark), that was thrashing around with mouth open, trying to "spit the hook".

I see what you're saying, but I still think the whole ugly incident would not have happened if not for the presence of the fisherman.
Fanatic Fly HRS 10'6"

Weasels wake

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2014, 05:10:27 PM »
All the speculation aside, NOBODY, I'll say it again, NOBODY should be fishing for sharks from a pier where there are people in the water!!!!!!!!!!
Dumb fu(k.
I use to lifeguard on the Pismo pier, and whenever I saw somebody doing that, when there were peeps in the water, I'd walk up to them and say "STOP!", they always did.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2014, 05:12:59 PM by Weasels wake »
It takes a quiver to do that.

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2014, 05:49:15 PM »
All the speculation aside, NOBODY, I'll say it again, NOBODY should be fishing for sharks from a pier where there are people in the water!!!!!!!!!!
Dumb fu(k.
I use to lifeguard on the Pismo pier, and whenever I saw somebody doing that, when there were peeps in the water, I'd walk up to them and say "STOP!", they always did.

Agree.  The myopic stupidity of that fisherman is amazing. 
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

SeaMe

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2014, 06:09:20 PM »
The fisherman's side:
http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local/Nothing-We-Could-Do-Fisherman-Who-Caught-Shark-That-Bit-Swimmer-265927001.html

He admits that he knew what it was within 15 minutes of hooking it yet kept it on the line for 40-45 minutes, so I think he's got trouble ahead of him. If not from the authorities, then possibly from the swimmer who is not pleased: http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local/Manhattan-Beach-Shark-Attack-Survivor-Reunited-with-Rescuer-265967711.html

An interesting note: a paddleboarder is credited with rescuing the swimmer: http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local/No-Time-to-React-Swimmer-Bitten-by-Shark-Thought-He-Was-Going-to-Die-265927611.html

Fanatic Fly HRS 10'6"

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2014, 11:26:50 PM »
A marine biologist that was interviewed (who works at the aquarium at the end of the pier), believed (speculated) that one of the swimmer's strokes actually caught the fisherman's line, and as a result, pulled the shark to him (or him to the shark), that was thrashing around with mouth open, trying to "spit the hook".

I see what you're saying, but I still think the whole ugly incident would not have happened if not for the presence of the fisherman.
Oh yeah, I agree with that 100%.....no speculation there.  ;) :)

Don't remember, but it might have been that same biologist that said that was only the 2nd record juvenile shark bite on a human in history.....so that also seems to make the fisherman (who chose not to cut the line when he should have) even more culpable in the chain of events

Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

supthecreek

« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2014, 02:04:05 PM »
Very strange response by the guys taking the video... watching a great white being reeled into a group of offshore swimmers is hardly what you'd call "funny"

* Recent Posts

post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
B-Walnut
Today at 10:20:25 AM
foiled again
Today at 07:32:24 AM
B-Walnut