Author Topic: Good rental shop in the SF Bay area?  (Read 9521 times)

kayadogg

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Good rental shop in the SF Bay area?
« on: July 02, 2014, 11:34:18 AM »
Cruising up to SF for a few days to make a trek out to the Farallons on Saturday but will have some time probably on the afternoon of the 4th or possibly Sunday to paddle in the bay.  Ideally we'd like to rent some 12'6 (or longer) boards but would be happy with anything that allows us to get out on the water. I know there are a couple shops,  any recommendations?   We're staying near Union Square and may not have a car while we're up there, we're still on the fence about that.

paddlejones

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: Good rental shop in the SF Bay area?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2014, 12:12:20 PM »
union sq... Oakland? California canoe and kayak is in union square. also boardsports school is in alameda & SF, blue rush in Sausalito, 101 surf san rafael

SUPlifornia

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2014, 04:45:32 PM »
My wife and I  were in SF and Marin in May. We drove up to San Rafael to 101 Surf Sports to rent boards for a brief paddle. The owners went out of their way to make sure we got the right equipment for the conditions (breezy). I was very impressed with the rental inventory which included race and downwinders.  I loved taking out a SIC Bullet. They also offer trips to the main bay for downwind sessions. It was nice to find this first class SUP shop in the Bay Area.

101surfsports.com
« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 04:48:23 PM by SUPlifornia »
SIC X-14
Naish 14' GS
Kings 9'6" Crossover
Naish 12' GS
VESL 11'2"

hbsteve

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2014, 06:23:53 PM »
Sea Trek Kayak and SUP in Sausalito is a good location to start from.  From their place , it is a short paddle from Richardson Bay out into the San Francisco Bay.  I haven't been there for several years.  So, check their stock. 
Wherever you choose to rent from, get some local knowledge of the tides.  San Francisco bay has some of the worst tide rips in the USA.  Depending on the tide, these spots can be flat, fun, or terrible.

Bycyclist

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Good rental shop in the SF Bay area?
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2014, 12:48:01 PM »
Another +1 for 101 Surf Sports in San Rafael. They set up my son and I really well last Sat with a couple of 14footers. Very nice launch off their own dock onto protected channel for awhile before heading into the Bay. Turned out to be super windy heading towards the islands but when we turned around we had a nice DW back to the channel. I try to time my biz travel to SF now for a little SUP detour.

kayadogg

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2014, 01:24:39 PM »
Thanks for all of the info.  Not positive we'll be able to squeeze some paddling in but if we do, we'll probably check out 101 Surf Sports. 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal