Author Topic: Anyone surfing on a Blane Chambers design? What do you think?  (Read 13224 times)

AJR

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone surfing on a Blane Chambers design? What do you think?
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2014, 05:28:34 AM »
Big +1 here on belly noses (L41 uses them)...

pguidry

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2014, 05:51:54 AM »
Count me in on the belly nose. I have it on my 8'2" L41. It handled overhead Costa Rica just great. 

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2014, 10:14:04 AM »
My last two L41's were the first boards I've ridden in a million years that had belly up there. Its old school but it works and probably the only thing on on my L41 S4 Simsup that is actually "Simmonsy."

Do earlier Blane Chambers have belly in the nose or is that something he incorporated since he started doing the chine rail?
Pluto Platter: 7-10 x 29.25 x 4.25 x 114.5 liters

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2014, 11:08:19 AM »

Yup, hull style entry is part of the mini-Simmons formula.  It seems to help initial acceleration.   

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2014, 11:23:43 AM »
Linter's "pig" style board seems the opposite:  narrow longboard nose with Sim type butt.  Is that counter-intuitive?
2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2014, 02:57:01 PM »
Yes and a belly up front (or some V) also helps to cut through chop which is why most big wave guns have V up forward.

Yup, hull style entry is part of the mini-Simmons formula.  It seems to help initial acceleration.   
Pluto Platter: 7-10 x 29.25 x 4.25 x 114.5 liters

outcast

• Peahi Status
  • Ambassador for Nihilistic Surf
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2014, 05:01:34 AM »
So my old 10'6 PSH AA is feeling it's age.....enough rail bangs etc that it's headed to dumpster in a year or so.

Looking for a replacement.  No interest in the Wide AA....i like the 28 width.
Have used this board in the biggest the East Coast can dish....love the rocker and outline....it is a little corky, but stability about right for the big days with cross chops etc.

I like SURFInJ's....and was thinking asking Blane to do a one up, but the other board i have been looking at is the Jeff Clark 10'6...
The Boardworks PSH gun, and the Naish gun  seem a litttle too "gunny"....12 PSH interesting, but 10'6 for East Coast prob enough

So looking for a 2 x a year board with the drawn lines flatter rocker....chines no problem....any thoughts?....

(More hollow i step down to a 9'6 ripper)
Too many for the rack
Some in the shack
Some under decks
Some have straps

TerryS

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2014, 01:53:00 AM »
I am thinking about a new 9 8 I ll be in town 2 nd week of sept. Anybody deal with Blaine  lately   I Hear he's using Eric A. To cut his blanks  and Kirk P. glassing them . He wants 3/4 s up front  i am ready to bite, but need to know if he's got his shit together , don't want show not have board ready and have go all soprano on him.

banzai

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2014, 12:53:08 AM »
Blane is down to earth nice guy and delivers a great product. He is an honest guy that will not let you down.

I think the hull shape in the front was developed to be a better paddling board but a friend that tried the original shape for paddling found that the board was good in the surf too. So Blane used the idea and modified it for surfing. The shape also allows the board to punch through the white water easier than a flat bottom. Most of the time when surfing the nose is out of the water so the shape of it doesn't do much, but when nose contacts the water it moves through the water easier than a flat bottom.

I know that he uses a machine to rough cut the shapes to provide accurate consistency and finishes them by hand. He does have help with glassing his boards although he does glass boards too.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal