Author Topic: Which Flatwater 12'6?  (Read 6612 times)

2Rivers

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Which Flatwater 12'6?
« on: June 25, 2014, 07:27:55 PM »
I've narrowed down my list of boards to demo. I'm in the market for a 12'6 recreational racing and fitness board. I paddle my local river (slow moving and deep) and the local reservoirs and lakes. Generally the conditions are glassy or light chop from the afternoon breeze. On the extreme would be when I'm caught by some stronger winds or boat wakes or chop generated from boats.

I'm looking at boards in the low 200L volume range for my weight and skill level. Here's my list...

Bark/Surftech Contender
Coreban Sonic (either the 27" or 28" - Pure or CK construction)
Hobie Elite Flatwater (Apex version is out of $ range)
Morrelli&Melvin/Boardworks Production

I've demo'ed the Hobie Elite and so far it's been my most favorite to date. I'm looking for some feedback on these boards especially for what I plan to do with them and the conditions I'm in. I'm hoping to demo the Sonic soon, but finding the Bark and M&M is still a work in progress. Thanks!
King's Type-S 14' | Soul Firestorm 8'9
ZRE Power Surge ZX4 80sq" | Kialoa Big Eddy
Larry Allison Dolphin Keel

Fog City Rider

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Which Flatwater 12'6?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2014, 11:04:42 PM »
you mean your local shop doesn't have all four of those boards in stock to demo?  Juuuuuust kidding.

I have experience with both the Hobie and Coreban, both awesome boards and both perfect for your conditions.  Two of the fastest 12'6 boards I've ever paddled.  You really can't go wrong with either.

Not sure if others share this opinion, but I found Coreban's carbon kevlar construction to be eggshell thin & very brittle.  We had a demo at the shop for a while, and I had to repair multiple dings.  Coreban came out with a brushed carbon construction this year, maybe that is tougher? 

As for Hobie, I'm biased as a dealer but I think it's a great design and quality construction. 

/m

San Diego, CA
10'0 Naish Nalu Pro (2017 version)
9'0 Pearson Arrow Laird custom
9'3 Pearson Arrow custom (prone)
9'8 Takayama In the Pink (prone)

Bycyclist

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2014, 07:02:44 PM »
I have had the 12.6 Bark Contender tufflite for a couple of months now taking it out couple of times per week. My conditions sound very similar to yours and it's been a great board. Fast, relatively stable, nice rails, durable. But would be great if you can demo and support your local SUP dealer with what they have. There are so many good boards out there! I really like demoing different ones just for feel at my preferred dealer.

2Rivers

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2014, 01:04:39 PM »
Thanks for the feedback. I got a chance to demo the Sonic in the 27" width and really liked it. Personally I think I'd be happy with any of these boards. I did discover that the CK construction of the Sonic retails the same as the Apex board from Hobie, so now that's off the list. Unfortunately I can't find a dealer that has a demo of the Bark Contender. Even the regional sales rep doesn't have one in his quiver. The closest Surftech dealer to me is about 45 minutes away, but they only have the Competitor to demo.

But would be great if you can demo and support your local SUP dealer with what they have. There are so many good boards out there! I really like demoing different ones just for feel at my preferred dealer.

The only SUP retailers somewhat nearby are REI, Sport Chalet, and West Marine, but none support the brands/boards that I'm looking at. There are four specialty SUP retailers about an hour+ away. One carries Hobie and another carries Coreban, but none of them carry Surftech or M&M, and either the Hobie or Coreban board that I'm interested in would have to be special ordered because they don't stock these on hand. The rest of the local SUP retailers are online/mobile only and none of them except for the one I mentioned above support the brands that I'm looking for. Most of the shops that support the brands I want (even under one roof) are 2+ hours away.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 01:15:06 PM by 2Rivers »

SaMoSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2014, 01:23:39 PM »
Where are you located? I've paddled the Contender and it's a pretty good board but I didn't like the wide tail.

2Rivers

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2014, 01:31:35 PM »
Where are you located? I've paddled the Contender and it's a pretty good board but I didn't like the wide tail.
I'm in the Davis area. Sacramento is the closest big city. Rancho Cordova, Rio Vista, and Benicia for the closest specialty shops.

Fog City Rider

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2014, 10:39:02 AM »
Hey there, I work for CCK and we've got shops in Rancho Cordova and Oakland.  We are a Hobie dealer. Their design and quality is top notch.

I have 12.6 flatwaters in Oakland and am sending one to Rancho this week. We've tested it in flat and bay area chop, and it's an awesome board!

PM me if you'd like to check it out or set up a demo at either shop.

Happy to throw in some special incentives for a fellow Zoner :)

Happy paddling!
San Diego, CA

Bycyclist

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Which Flatwater 12'6?
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2014, 09:01:47 PM »
Well I'm in Rocklin but paddle from negro bar/lake Natomas all the time. If you'd like your more than welcome to try out my Bark 12.6 sometime out there. About 40 minute drive. Or somewhere else nice around Davis/Sac. I'm always looking for new nice places to paddle!

2Rivers

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2014, 02:44:30 PM »
Hey there, I work for CCK and we've got shops in Rancho Cordova and Oakland.  We are a Hobie dealer. Their design and quality is top notch.

I have 12.6 flatwaters in Oakland and am sending one to Rancho this week. We've tested it in flat and bay area chop, and it's an awesome board!

PM me if you'd like to check it out or set up a demo at either shop.

Happy to throw in some special incentives for a fellow Zoner :)

Happy paddling!
Thanks Mitch! I've already demo'd the Hobie and so far it's still my first choice. As you'd mentioned both the Coreban and Hobie boards are fast and stable. I'm sure I could be happy on either model. The Contender is the only other model I really want to try before I commit to something. I contacted Bycyclist here on the forum to try their's out. Stay tuned.  :)

2Rivers

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2014, 03:07:07 PM »
FWIW, I did find some more "specialty" SUP dealers in the Sacramento Valley & San Joaquin Valley regions, but they're all mobile and/or online only and only two of them support the brands I'm interested in...

Sierra SUP
Rise SUP
Explore SUP
Lotus Paddleboards
Grey Whale Paddle
SUP Folsom

Adventure Sports has a b+m store in Sacramento but they only stock Amundson and BruSurf boards.

Fog City Rider

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2014, 11:14:30 PM »

[/quote] Thanks Mitch! I've already demo'd the Hobie and so far it's still my first choice. As you'd mentioned both the Coreban and Hobie boards are fast and stable. I'm sure I could be happy on either model. The Contender is the only other model I really want to try before I commit to something. I contacted Bycyclist here on the forum to try their's out. Stay tuned.  :)
[/quote]

Sure thing, good luck on the search :).  Feel free to contact me anytime if I can help. 
San Diego, CA

* Recent Posts

post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
foiled again
April 24, 2024, 08:00:16 PM
post Re: Sunova Ghost 8'10 SUP
[Classifieds]