Author Topic: Ke Nalu's New Konihi  (Read 56432 times)

JP

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Re: Ke Nalu's New Konihi
« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2014, 08:29:24 AM »
Since Lane opened the door

We offer our significant ZONER DISCOUNTS on all KeNalu paddles incl.the Konihi which is due in this weekm (I hope)

Just so everyone know's

JimK
www.extremewindsurfing.com

Hey Jim,
What is the discount password?

spookini

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2014, 08:35:18 AM »

BIG HAOLE

Just remember, it will not work without the secret handshake!!   ;D ;D
-- My doctor says I suffer from low kook --
Do sharks attack?  Hope not
Do flying fish hate us?  Hells yes

JP

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2014, 09:03:52 AM »

BIG HAOLE

Just remember, it will not work without the secret handshake!!   ;D ;D

I tried it and it says it's expired.

LM

• Site Sponsor
  • Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • KeNalu
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: July 17, 2014, 01:51:27 AM »
I received this review the other day:

"I rarely send feedback on anything, but I have to say the Ke Nalu Konihi is simply awesome! I have the Quickblade Trifecta, as well, and although they feel very similar, the Ke Nalu is better on a number of levels. I also have a Werner Grand Prix 1000 Medium, but I really haven't been fond of it, at all, so I won't really compare it.

From the grip down:

Ergo T handle is great. I have fairly larger hands and the Ergo T is the perfect mix, allowing me to "cheat my hand" over to one side or the other, and still have a very secure grip. The 100 Flex Shaft is just a bit stiffer than the QB Trifecta and I really like the one-way slide texture. First couple of paddles have been in the rain and I have had no hand slippage. The diameter of the shaft is great, as well. Not as thin as the Trifecta and not as thick as the Werner, which even though I have large hands, I find too thick for good wrist angle on the entry. The blade is beautiful, with the production quality a step above the QB stuff in my opinion. Very well finished. I opted for the 94, which feels very similar to the Trifecta 96.

As far as performance, I love it. The entry is quiet, the catch is very secure, and when you get both of those correct, the pull is sooooo smooth and strong. The Trifecta doesn't flutter, but there must be something going on because the Konihi is noticeably smoother. It's hard to quantify, even with a SpeedCoach, because of changing conditions, but I do think I'm a bit faster at the same effort with the Konihi. Maybe .1 to .2 mph over an hour, which in racing terms would be substantial.

Will be ordering another one . . . ."

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
  • Super Natural British Columbia
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: July 19, 2014, 09:42:59 PM »
A little bit confused, is there a zoner discount on the Kenalu store or not?
I want to upgrade from my SB Enduro Carbon Premium 525 for something lighter and better so looking at the last two Ke nalu as an option.

Cheers,
Sunova Allwater 14'x25.5" 303L Viento 520
Sunova Torpedo 14'x27" 286L Salish 500
Naish Nalu 11'4" x 30" 180L Andaman 520
Sunova Steeze 10' x 31" 150L
Blackfish Paddles

gorgebob

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Gorgeperformance.com
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: July 19, 2014, 10:10:20 PM »
Tried the Winglet Konihi 84 on a downwind veinto run. It is a noisy bastard with a loud sucking sounds, and it scrapes up the side of the board like no other. Yes it is fast but I am not completely sold over my wiki with my kialoa handle. Blisters a plenty.
Founder: Gorge Performance Surf  Shop Portland
Fabricator: RNR Engineering

LM

• Site Sponsor
  • Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • KeNalu
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: July 19, 2014, 10:58:37 PM »
Tried the Winglet Konihi 84 on a downwind veinto run. It is a noisy bastard with a loud sucking sounds, and it scrapes up the side of the board like no other. Yes it is fast but I am not completely sold over my wiki with my kialoa handle. Blisters a plenty.

Bill posted similar noise (in his post..." Weird Konihi 95 Blade" http://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php/topic,24496.0.htmlbut then he went with a longer shaft & it went away. Maybe give that a try.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #37 on: July 21, 2014, 07:05:14 AM »
Damn Lane you did it again. Second time I've had Bill hand me a paddle that shocked me. Congrats!
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

LM

• Site Sponsor
  • Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • KeNalu
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: July 21, 2014, 08:26:11 AM »
Damn Lane you did it again. Second time I've had Bill hand me a paddle that shocked me. Congrats!

Glad you like it Bob, I've been really liking it too. There seems to be a "theme" starting where people initially feel the paddle isn't doing anything which (combined with the fact that they're actually getting better times and feeling less fatigued) is probably the biggest compliment I could get with these since it's validating what I set out to do (efficiency & subtlety are two of my favorite things). When I first paddled the prototype it was almost like an epiphany (well that might be stretching, it but I was pretty stoked) & I'm really happy to be hearing the reviews people have been giving it.

Rideordie

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 23, 2014, 08:20:05 AM »
I am SOLD, but waiting on the reply to the question about the zoner discount.  Lane??
2021 SIC RS 14 x 24.5
Naish Glide 14 (v2)
SIC X-14 SCC  
KeNalu Konihi 95 xTuf(s)
KeNalu Mana 90 100 Flex

LM

• Site Sponsor
  • Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • KeNalu
    • Email
« Reply #40 on: July 24, 2014, 12:35:07 AM »
I am SOLD, but waiting on the reply to the question about the zoner discount.  Lane??

Planning on running one but we're a bit "inventory challenged" right now so I'm waiting on the next shipment that should arrive hopefully next week.

Rideordie

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 30, 2014, 07:26:43 PM »
Lane, I could not wait any longer.  JimK PM'd me with a deal and I ordered the Konihi 95 blade from him.  Can't wait to get it!!  Will be sure to post a review when I get mine. 
2021 SIC RS 14 x 24.5
Naish Glide 14 (v2)
SIC X-14 SCC  
KeNalu Konihi 95 xTuf(s)
KeNalu Mana 90 100 Flex

LM

• Site Sponsor
  • Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • KeNalu
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: July 30, 2014, 09:39:38 PM »
Lane, I could not wait any longer.  JimK PM'd me with a deal and I ordered the Konihi 95 blade from him.  Can't wait to get it!!  Will be sure to post a review when I get mine.

...All the better, I'd much rather you support our dealers & Jim at Extreme Windsurfing is one of the best & most knowledgeable so I'm sure he'll take good care of you. Let us know what you think of it.

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
  • Super Natural British Columbia
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: August 04, 2014, 08:31:32 AM »
I got my Konihi 95 this week (before they were sold out in Canada :-) ).
I am somewhat of a beginner so I am not a very fast paddler nor is my technique where it should be.
The first thing that I noticed was "nothing". I started paddling and the paddle was unremarkable.
It just went in and out of the water without any fuss and subjectively got me moving as fast or faster than usual.

After more use I noticed three things:

1) I could increase the cadence if I so desire, without any extra effort other than cardio

2) to put some power and get some serious acceleration requires a good technique not just brunt.
There were a few times when the stars aligned and suddenly there were a few magical strokes that just feel incredibly good.
There is a perfect feed-back from the paddle almost if the paddle is "telling you" exactly where you are in the stroke and how much effort you are putting.
The board simply surge ahead. These lasted for a few strokes then regretfully went away...then later came back on the other side just to prove that it was real and again went away...
I was just thinking that is how it must feels to be Dave Kalama :-)

3) for me the blade requires an extra long shaft.
I am comfortable paddling my SB Enduro at 84" but the Konihi at 85" with the normal shaft feels way too short.
This is of course just me and might change as my technique evolves or under different conditions and so on...
It would make sense to purchase the Konihi with either the long shaft and cut as needed or the Extended T and adjust as needed until the perfect length is achieved (if there is anything like that).

Disclaimer - I am an oldish advanced beginner not race material 6' 170" fairly athletic and paddle in all kind of chop all around the quadrant

Cheers,

Luc

Sunova Allwater 14'x25.5" 303L Viento 520
Sunova Torpedo 14'x27" 286L Salish 500
Naish Nalu 11'4" x 30" 180L Andaman 520
Sunova Steeze 10' x 31" 150L
Blackfish Paddles

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 04, 2014, 09:15:28 AM »
It's not just you. I added three inches to my paddle length (extended ergo T) for the Konihi. It's interesting that everyone comes to pretty much the exact same set of conclusions even with just the first try. It's a strange blade, that's for sure, but it's really good.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal