Author Topic: Ke Nalu's New Konihi  (Read 56431 times)

LM

• Site Sponsor
  • Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • KeNalu
    • Email
Ke Nalu's New Konihi
« on: June 24, 2014, 12:51:49 AM »
Ke Nalu's latest creation the "Konihi" is now available www.kenalu.com. We're planning on running a Zone special but production and quantities are currently limited so we need to see how the dust settles first. If you're serious about racing or flat water performance the Konihi is a true game changer!

Rideordie

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: Ke Nalu's New Konihi
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2014, 04:41:37 AM »
So Lane, I am getting a little confused over paddle choices now, but in a good way.  I have a Maliko on an xtuff(s) shaft and have been thinking about a new blade so I can pick up some speed with an increased turnover rate.  I train pretty hard on mostly flatwater, large lake, with wind and confused boat wakes.  Was thinking about the  new Ho'oloa 95/84 and now you have this new Konihi 84/95 blade.  Can you compare these for me and make a recommendation?  53% increase in price for Kohini versus Ho'oloa.  Is it signifcantly better for high seed paddling?           
2021 SIC RS 14 x 24.5
Naish Glide 14 (v2)
SIC X-14 SCC  
KeNalu Konihi 95 xTuf(s)
KeNalu Mana 90 100 Flex

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2014, 04:44:17 AM »
Can you post a photo of the winglet feature

LM

• Site Sponsor
  • Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • KeNalu
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2014, 06:50:31 AM »
So Lane, I am getting a little confused over paddle choices now, but in a good way.  I have a Maliko on an xtuff(s) shaft and have been thinking about a new blade so I can pick up some speed with an increased turnover rate.  I train pretty hard on mostly flatwater, large lake, with wind and confused boat wakes.  Was thinking about the  new Ho'oloa 95/84 and now you have this new Konihi 84/95 blade.  Can you compare these for me and make a recommendation?  53% increase in price for Kohini versus Ho'oloa.  Is it signifcantly better for high seed paddling?           

The best way to describe the difference between the blade choices is; it sort of feels like a gear change going from an original design blade (Wiki, Maliko, Molokai) to a Ho'oloa and again to a Konihi. The Konihi feels similar to the Ho'oloa but it's much more stable (even with effort, it's hard to make it flutter & if you do it recovers immediately) & has the before mentioned extra power feel to it. If you're really serious about your training or race at all the Konihi is probably worth the extra money. If you're not competing the Ho'oloa will probably be fine but if you want the best the Konihi won't disappoint.

LM

• Site Sponsor
  • Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • KeNalu
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2014, 07:04:28 AM »
Can you post a photo of the winglet feature

They're a subtle thing, I'm a true believer in subtlety, in all things, but when designing things for use in air & water subtlety is absolutely essential. You don't want to "force" either air or water...they do what they do, it only takes a subtle hint to get water to react & that's all it took to get the winglets to work. They aren't an "in your face" obvious thing & in fact unless you're looking for them most would overlook them at a glance but hopefully this picture helps show them a bit better.

Tecpartner

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2014, 07:17:25 AM »
Any chance you'll introduce a bent shaft version?

supdiscobay

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2014, 07:31:30 AM »
How do you justify a $100 increase in blade price?
Is it production costs?
Newer material costs?
Whats the weight difference between all the elite blades?
It seems like the only real difference is the design.
8'5" Starboard Pocket Rocket, 8'0" Kazuma Fugu custom,  8'10" Kings Sidewinder, 10' Starboard Noserider, 14' BARK Carbon Dominator, SIC F16 V3, KeNalu and Quickblade paddles, 19' Eaton Prone, 67" Goode 9700

LM

• Site Sponsor
  • Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • KeNalu
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2014, 09:07:13 AM »
Any chance you'll introduce a bent shaft version?

A bent shaft is not likely but not 100% out of the question

LM

• Site Sponsor
  • Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • KeNalu
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2014, 09:15:05 AM »
How do you justify a $100 increase in blade price?
Is it production costs?
Newer material costs?
Whats the weight difference between all the elite blades?
It seems like the only real difference is the design.

There are many factors to consider in the pricing of anything & much of which are things you'd never consider unless you've been through the process. Simple things like travel, design factors, specific prototyping factors, production costs, marketing...it's a lengthy list. Another consideration has to be the competitions pricing, we're not going to sell ourselves short especially when we think we have a superior product...why is a Mercedes more expensive than a Toyota?

Rideordie

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2014, 09:31:36 AM »
Thanks Lane.  So now 84 versus 95.  Have only used the Maliko.  Have two of them.  One for me and my wife.  Do you think most moving from the Maliko blade would want a 95 or the 84?  I would say that I am a power paddler, but want to increased my speed.  Softer catch and larger sweet spot both sound interesting, but I want the end result to be an increase in my average speed.  Seems that some users of the new Ho'oloa have chimed in that they are faster as compared to the 1st generation Ke nalu blades.  Are you saying that the Kohini is getting even better reviews/results than the Ho'oloa or just a better feel?  Do you think that you are faster with the Kohini?  I know that is very difficult to quantify.               
2021 SIC RS 14 x 24.5
Naish Glide 14 (v2)
SIC X-14 SCC  
KeNalu Konihi 95 xTuf(s)
KeNalu Mana 90 100 Flex

mdsurf

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2014, 10:34:49 AM »
Interesting design.  I was just now getting the handle on the 95 Ho'oloa and the 84 Ho'oloa for surf and race.  Got to say I like the Ho'oloa over the Maliko.  Tried with xtufs and 100 shaft.  Now need to look at this one

Rideordie

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2014, 11:11:32 AM »
MD, which size Ho'oloa did you like best for training/eacing, 84 or 95 versus Maliko?
2021 SIC RS 14 x 24.5
Naish Glide 14 (v2)
SIC X-14 SCC  
KeNalu Konihi 95 xTuf(s)
KeNalu Mana 90 100 Flex

Rideordie

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2014, 11:22:22 AM »
racing not "eacing". Oops!   
2021 SIC RS 14 x 24.5
Naish Glide 14 (v2)
SIC X-14 SCC  
KeNalu Konihi 95 xTuf(s)
KeNalu Mana 90 100 Flex

mdsurf

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2014, 05:16:16 PM »
I really like the 95 for the size but the 84 was real smooth for paddling around.  I have a more power stroke and not high cadence stroke so the 95 fits me good.  Gave the 84 to the wife and she loves it.  She is a high cadence high power racer that wins.  I made the mention of this Konihi and showed her the pictures and she got real happy and mentioned something about an early  birthday present.

The Ho'oloa paddle blade is lighter than the others and smoother.  Wonder if the Konihi is even smoother and lighter?  Lane?

LM

• Site Sponsor
  • Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • KeNalu
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2014, 09:26:49 PM »
Thanks Lane.  So now 84 versus 95.  Have only used the Maliko.  Have two of them.  One for me and my wife.  Do you think most moving from the Maliko blade would want a 95 or the 84?  I would say that I am a power paddler, but want to increased my speed.  Softer catch and larger sweet spot both sound interesting, but I want the end result to be an increase in my average speed.  Seems that some users of the new Ho'oloa have chimed in that they are faster as compared to the 1st generation Ke nalu blades.  Are you saying that the Kohini is getting even better reviews/results than the Ho'oloa or just a better feel?  Do you think that you are faster with the Kohini?  I know that is very difficult to quantify.             

Since you mentioned you're a power paddler I'd definitely go with the 95. I've heard similar reports of people being faster with Ho'oloas. Since there aren't really many Konihis out yet (there's a handful in Australia & I've been getting nothing but positive reports) I haven't heard much yet regarding increased speed, in theory they should give you a little boost. I can say for sure the Konihi does offer a better feel over anything I've ever paddled but I haven't personally time compared the Konihi with the other paddles, I need to but when I get out paddling I forget, bad excuse but it's the truth. I have done LOTS of cross comparing with the three different designs & doing "quick switches" the differences in feel are really noticeable. I also had a friend visiting that had never tried SUP before (very athletic, pro mountain bike racer though). I thought he'd be a great "control" since he had no prior knowledge of any of the paddles. I started him off with a Wiki (I didn't tell him I was studying anything of course) he paddled around for a bit & then I said, "here switch with me, I need to see something with that one" & gave him the Ho'oloa, again he didn't say much because I wasn't fishing for a response at all. Then I gave him the Konihi & he took a few strokes & said, "Wow, this ones the best one for sure". So even a complete novice can feel the difference, what difference he was feeling I can't be sure, it could have simply been the improved stability (& these things are stable) for whatever that's worth...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal