Author Topic: Ke Nalu's New Konihi  (Read 56428 times)

LM

• Site Sponsor
  • Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • KeNalu
    • Email
Re: Ke Nalu's New Konihi
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2014, 10:58:44 PM »
Thanks Lane.  So now 84 versus 95.  Have only used the Maliko.  Have two of them.  One for me and my wife.  Do you think most moving from the Maliko blade would want a 95 or the 84?  I would say that I am a power paddler, but want to increased my speed.  Softer catch and larger sweet spot both sound interesting, but I want the end result to be an increase in my average speed.  Seems that some users of the new Ho'oloa have chimed in that they are faster as compared to the 1st generation Ke nalu blades.  Are you saying that the Kohini is getting even better reviews/results than the Ho'oloa or just a better feel?  Do you think that you are faster with the Kohini?  I know that is very difficult to quantify.             

Since you mentioned you're a power paddler I'd definitely go with the 95. I've heard similar reports of people being faster with Ho'oloas. Since there aren't really many Konihis out yet (there's a handful in Australia & I've been getting nothing but positive reports) I haven't heard much yet regarding increased speed, in theory they should give you a little boost. I can say for sure the Konihi does offer a better feel over anything I've ever paddled but I haven't personally time compared the Konihi with the other paddles, I need to but when I get out paddling I forget, bad excuse but it's the truth. I have done LOTS of cross comparing with the three different designs & doing "quick switches" the differences in feel are really noticeable. I also had a friend visiting that had never tried SUP before (very athletic, pro mountain bike racer though). I thought he'd be a great "control" since he had no prior knowledge of any of the paddles. I started him off with a Wiki (I didn't tell him I was studying anything of course) he paddled around for a bit & then I said, "here switch with me, I need to see something with that one" & gave him the Ho'oloa, again he didn't say much because I wasn't fishing for a response at all. Then I gave him the Konihi & he took a few strokes & said, "Wow, this ones the best one for sure". So even a complete novice can feel the difference, what difference he was feeling I can't be sure, it could have simply been the improved stability (& these things are stable) for whatever that's worth...

I just got this from my distributor in Australia:

"I was talking to Peasey earlier…..he trains on the Gold Coast with most of Australia’s top paddlers.
The boys were doing a bit of paddle swapping and they all loved Peasey’s Konihi.
Peasey said whichever of the guys that had the Konihi were consistently faster than when they had another paddle.
Comments were that they didn’t feel like it had any power and was really easy to use…..but they were quicker!!
Easier on the body and quicker…..pluses all round!"

JF808

• Peahi Status
  • From Big Island!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2014, 11:35:55 PM »
Lane,

Please post more Beta Feedback from your team riders, as it seems that they are the only ones who have this blade

LM

• Site Sponsor
  • Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • KeNalu
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2014, 11:54:40 PM »
Lane,

Please post more Beta Feedback from your team riders, as it seems that they are the only ones who have this blade

The guys that have been paddling these so far have been in Australia (they got a handful of the first production tests since it was their peak season & still cold in the states) & handled by our distributor there. I'll see if I'm able to get any additional information though. Our supply is just arriving now so nobody in N. America has one yet but they'll be sent out soon & I expect to be getting some feedback shortly.

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2014, 03:05:42 AM »
Another 84 versus 95 question:

I'm happy with a Quickblade Kanaha AC 90 I have and familiar with QB V-Drive 91:
what would the 2 Konihi sizes feel like relative to these?

jt737

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2014, 03:55:48 AM »
Have been a keen supporter of Ke Nalu paddles here in Australia, having bought the Wiki, Maliko and Molokai paddles when first released.  I like the Wiki for surfing, use the Maliko for racing being over 50 and more power type paddling, the Molokai is too big for me, so will cut down to use as an OC1 paddle.
 I recently bought the Ho'oloa 95 paddle head and prefer that to my Maliko being the same power but allowing increased cadence.  However i borrowed the new Konihi 84 and was blown away by it's lightness compared to mine.  At first it feels like you're not going any faster, but was doing the same speed as before with a lot less effort.  Then even I could increase the cadence and get a speed increase that I haven't been able to up to now with such minimal effort. What's great with Ke Nalu is the ability to just buy a paddle head such as the Konihi for relatively minimal cost and upgrade your gear.
Can't wait to get mine in the next week or so when they arrive here.......

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2014, 04:29:44 PM »
Since Lane opened the door

We offer our significant ZONER DISCOUNTS on all KeNalu paddles incl.the Konihi which is due in this weekm (I hope)

Just so everyone know's

JimK
www.extremewindsurfing.com

LM

• Site Sponsor
  • Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • KeNalu
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2014, 12:39:32 AM »
Now that we're sending some Konihis out here in the states hopefully we'll have more info. soon but here's some more from Australia:

"Some feedback from the team guys that were lucky enough to score one of the preproduction Konihi 84 blades for testing:

"The Konihi 84 is really different to my other Ke Nalu blades. Feels like it's not very powerful cause it's so easy on the body but in time trials I'm faster with it than my other blades"

"So smooth and stable. Absolutely no flutter"

"It really loads up through the stroke. The drive it provides is unreal"

"It's so stealthy through the whole stroke, the catch and release is so clean"

"It's so easy to keep your cadence up with this thing. Love it"

These are the sort of responses we were hoping to get as main focus for the design was to create the most efficient blade possible.
We are stoked with the responses from the team guys!!.....makes all the time and effort that goes into research and development worthwhile.
Ke Nalu - POWERED BY PHYSICS"

(this was a Facebook post, here's some of the responses):

"The control from blade placement, power phase to blade exit is like no other paddle on the market. Why are paddlers changing to Ke Nalu? Well the proof's in its performance!"

"In two words "Silky smooth".............!!
I can give it 100% at training and the next day I'm ready to go again. By far the best paddle I've ever used"

"Tried it - loved it! Ordered and just waiting for it to get here now"

Rideordie

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2014, 04:51:38 PM »
Great post Lane!  That is the kind of stuff we wanted to hear.  Keep it coming!!
2021 SIC RS 14 x 24.5
Naish Glide 14 (v2)
SIC X-14 SCC  
KeNalu Konihi 95 xTuf(s)
KeNalu Mana 90 100 Flex

TEX_SUP

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2014, 02:59:55 PM »
So Lane, I am getting a little confused over paddle choices now, but in a good way.  I have a Maliko on an xtuff(s) shaft and have been thinking about a new blade so I can pick up some speed with an increased turnover rate.  I train pretty hard on mostly flatwater, large lake, with wind and confused boat wakes.  Was thinking about the  new Ho'oloa 95/84 and now you have this new Konihi 84/95 blade.  Can you compare these for me and make a recommendation?  53% increase in price for Kohini versus Ho'oloa.  Is it signifcantly better for high seed paddling?           

The best way to describe the difference between the blade choices is; it sort of feels like a gear change going from an original design blade (Wiki, Maliko, Molokai) to a Ho'oloa and again to a Konihi. The Konihi feels similar to the Ho'oloa but it's much more stable (even with effort, it's hard to make it flutter & if you do it recovers immediately) & has the before mentioned extra power feel to it. If you're really serious about your training or race at all the Konihi is probably worth the extra money. If you're not competing the Ho'oloa will probably be fine but if you want the best the Konihi won't disappoint.

You say it's like a gear change....up or down?

In other words does each paddle stroke feel easier or harder on a Konihi compared to a Ho'oloa?

It was pretty cut and dry before with Wiki, then Maliko, then Molokai getting more square inches in the water and having progressively more "resistance" in their feel.

Just looking to keep up with all the great stuff y'all are producing. 

LM

• Site Sponsor
  • Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • KeNalu
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2014, 06:09:20 AM »
There's been some requests for more detailed info. for the Konihi. Now that more are getting out in the U.S market we're starting to get some reports. Here's an email I got today with some good comparison between his Molokai & his new Konihi 95:

“Got the Konihi (95) yesterday and switched out my Molokai blade for it on my flat water paddle. Paddled it today…Checking my records I have well over 1000 miles on the Molokais.

First impression - your production has really taken a step up in quality.  Lay out of the glass was beautiful and the graphics really add to the look of the blade.

I paddle the Elkhorn Slough, a salt water estuary off of the Moss Landing Harbor, in the Monterey Bay of Northern California, 4 days a week, usually doing right around 6 miles.  Depending on the tidal movement there is always a current going one way or the other on the paddle as well as an onshore wind of varying KPH, so the paddle is usually downhill one way and uphill the other.  Sometimes lots of "ground" to cover if a high tide or not so much on lower tides.  No two paddles are the same due to these conditions, therefore direct comparisons aren't able to be made.  I run a Garmin 500 gps, from my mountain bike, on the board thereby being able to track time, mileage, highest speed and average speed for the paddle.  I record this info and have it going back 3 years.  Monday paddle with the Molokai was 5.45 miles at 1 hr 17 min, high speed 6.3 mph, avg for the paddle 4.2 mph.  Todays paddle with the Konihi, I went the same course as Monday, tide coming in as on Monday but an hour later so probably a little slower as the water hadn't really started moving, wind was also a little lighter with smaller wind chop on the return trip.  At the end, 5.43 miles, 1 hr 14 min, 6.2 high speed, 4.4 average.  Since I've had the 14' Bark SUP, 9/12, my best average has been 4.5, with several 4.4s, but generally 4.1 - 4.3.  Something might be happening!  I've never paddled a Maliko, so if the guys that know say the Konihi is stronger, it might be approaching the Molokai, maybe stronger.  I've got to paddle it more to see how the averages come out over a number of paddles.  Friday, I will be paddling with my buddies so we can change around and I can get a better impression, of the differences.

Subjectively - My very first impression of the paddle was, entry and exit of the blade was right in line with the Molokai, smooth as butter, quiet with no drag on exit.  Entry was probably a little softer but the power still came on and continued through the stroke like the Molokai.  I didn't feel like I had a loss of power, which is a good thing, but it did feel like I was going through the water quicker with less "drag" which got me out of the water and back in sooner.  I think I had a faster cadence just because of that as opposed to trying to go faster, which I think accounts for the better average speed.  Given the conditions from one day to the next I would have expected a 4.3 average.  I always guess before I check just to see how close I am and I'm usually right.  Tried to get the paddle to flutter, gripped to hard, no flutter, paddle off vertical, no flutter.  Only thing about that is the Molokai isn't so forgiving and makes you paddle with good form, but I think I'll take the potential increase in speed, I got trained to paddle with the Molokai.  At the end of the paddle, shoulder wise I didn't feel as used as I normally do, and with the avg speed I was really surprised.
So far so good, I'm impressed.”

I know some Konihis have gone out to Zoners, I'm curious to hear your reviews.

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2014, 10:57:49 AM »
OK I'm trying the 84 Konihi Elite in the surf later today and/or Tomorrow just waiting out the rainy part of the storm
it should clean up soon
jimK
Waiting

cnski

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2014, 01:47:47 PM »
I've put about 50 miles on the Konihi 95 so far this past week and all I can say is WOW!!!! Actually, I can say more. It is the best paddle I have ever laid my grubby little hands on. It is soooo smooth. Like others have said before, it has a very soft catch and smooth release. The one thing I really noticed is the power is instantaneous and very consistent throughout the stroke. Very stable. Very easy on the shoulders. It certainly rewards you with a proper stoke and becomes very quiet. The blade likes to be buried deep. I sized my paddle the same as my Maliko Elite forgetting the blade is 2 inches longer than my Maliko. As a result you need to bury the blade 2 inches deeper. This effectively made my Konihi 2 inches shorter than my Maliko. But I think I like the shorter length. My cadence is faster and I can get more weight over the paddle more effectively. It feels very high performance. I look forward to paddling it more and it complements my 19'6" unlimited very well. It is a very good looking paddle as well:

PDLSFR

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2014, 03:14:21 PM »
cnsky - whats the longest distance you've paddled in one session with this paddle? I'm curious how it is for long distance paddles (20+) in one session? 
Infinity RNB 8'2
Ron House 9'7
Ron House 10'7
Infinity New Deal 10'
Custom Infinity New Deal 10'
VEC 11'
Focus Bluefin 14'

cnski

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2014, 03:52:04 PM »
PDLSFR- I would say 10 miles for most distance paddled during one session. The Konihi really seems to perform at different intensities. I think it would be a great long distance paddle. The 84 might be the call depending on your size. The paddle is so good I can see using it for everything, except whitewater of course.

desfluranesup

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2014, 08:26:02 PM »
Bought my 85 Konihi from NZ Boardstore today.
Assembled in the shop, light, very light.
473g with a 90 shaft and ergo T.
Very happy  :D
Bit of a blow here at the moment, mini downwinder planned for tomorrow.
Bring it on.
Naish 9'5" Mana
Naish Javelin 14" GX 28"
Naish Nalu 11'
Ke Nalu Maliko
Ke Nalu Konihi 95

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal