Author Topic: Distance Hydration and Rehydration  (Read 4922 times)

SpecialK

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Re: Distance Hydration and Rehydration
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2014, 01:31:58 PM »
I hear ya... maltodextrin? All i know is Gatorade makes me hurl, but I can go hard with HEED. The calories in the other stuff comes from simple sugar - I'm sure that's why.

PDLSFR

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2014, 01:58:58 PM »
WOW so much information... last year all I drank was water for the 11.5 hour 34 (+) CCBC and I was hoping to try something better for this years event.

Sounds like ... avoid Sports Drinks, water is good but add a little salt, HEED is good but gross, and possibly a combination of Coconut Water diluted with water might also be great.

I did chow on the Chomps and Gu Chews as well as a protein powerbar.

Anyone try this:

Roctane Electrolyte Capsules-

Roctane Electrolyte Capsules contain multiple essential electrolyte which your body must replenish during endurance activities: sodium, magnesium and chloride.  Roctane Electrolyte Capsules help to fill in the gaps with sweat loss that is unique to each athlete. Also included is Ginger Root which can help decrease nausea and Vitamin D and B6.

Infinity RNB 8'2
Ron House 9'7
Ron House 10'7
Infinity New Deal 10'
Custom Infinity New Deal 10'
VEC 11'
Focus Bluefin 14'

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2014, 04:12:49 PM »
If that didn't kick off your bullshit detector then it must need service. For nutrition I don't think you can beat Pocketfuel--which is high quality almond butter with added stuff -- like dried cherries and coconut, or goji berries and powdered Birkenstocks (okay, I'm lying about that last bit). Made here in Hood River by Mark and Heidi Ribcoff (both fine SUP paddlers and racers). Easy on your stomach, packs a lot of calories into a small package and tastes great. the only problem is that it tastes great. Hard to leave it alone. Gorgebob had a refill package in his truck that was HUGE and the ate the whole damned thing--never used it to refill the little packs.  When he couldn't squeeze any more out of it he cut it open and dug it out of the corners. I'd laugh harder about that but I did the same thing.

You can get it at REI. I see it everywhere these days, which is kind of cool for a nice little local company.

Mark used to post here, but lately he's doing some triathalon thing.
Q. How can you tell someone does Triathalons?
A. They'll tell you.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

PDLSFR

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2014, 04:26:37 PM »
Thanks Bill I'll pick some up at REI this weekend.

Derek
Infinity RNB 8'2
Ron House 9'7
Ron House 10'7
Infinity New Deal 10'
Custom Infinity New Deal 10'
VEC 11'
Focus Bluefin 14'

hbsteve

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2014, 04:31:24 PM »
Cytromax is used by lots of marathon race organizers in our area.  It does not have that overly sweet taste of gatorade.  It is mixed by the user.  So, you can make some adjustment to the strength.  I used it during open water rowing races and events lasting 1.5 hours to 2 hours.  I felt like it made a positive difference.

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2014, 05:12:40 PM »
I don't do any serious endurance training or racing, and when I did years (decades) ago, you had a choice--water, ERG (awful) or (Frank Shorter's favorite) de-fizzed Coke.  So I stuck with water.  And I'd do long runs in summer for a couple hours with no water unless I happened upon a drinking fountain, and got used to that.  Aid stations at marathons were pretty minimal, too.

So if I need anything beyond water I prefer sticking with water and adding eating something, vs. having it included in an exotic drink. I agree, the Pocket Fuel is great.  I got a big refill container of it for my daughter, and she used to make sandwiches with it. 

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2014, 06:52:13 PM »
I agree, the Pocket Fuel is great.  I got a big refill container of it for my daughter, and she used to make sandwiches with it.

That's the problem with PocketFuel right there. I think the mid-sized package is about 400 calories, which means the refill package is about eight million calories. I'm sitting there in my truck, looking at it thinking "what have I done!"
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SpecialK

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2014, 04:43:04 AM »
Pocket Fuel sounds good - but maybe a bit hard to deal with? For the record, Hammer bars are also basically almond butter with some extra stuff added. A lot of calories in a condensed package that you can take 1 bite at a time.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2014, 10:18:18 AM »
Pocket Fuel sounds good - but maybe a bit hard to deal with? For the record, Hammer bars are also basically almond butter with some extra stuff added. A lot of calories in a condensed package that you can take 1 bite at a time.

It's in a reclosable squeeze container. I can eat it while bicycling. Considering my stunning clumsiness, if I can do it without crashing, anyone can.

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal