Author Topic: Look out Jenny Craig--SUP might grab your market share!  (Read 1865 times)

Bulky

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Look out Jenny Craig--SUP might grab your market share!
« on: June 13, 2014, 12:44:03 PM »
Thought I might be the last person to post on the Training, Diet and Exercise, but the knee injury that had me shelved for most of the year http://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php/topic,21255.0.html got me to summon some effort to fight the slide into being a dumpy middle-aged guy.

Was a doughy 245 when I got the green light from the doctor to really do full-on rehab (where I've pretty much hovered for the past 10 yrs or so).  When I got the OK to paddle, I took a few weeks to get my sea legs back and then in late April started hitting the water 4-6 times a week at 6am.  This week I noticed my pace has steadily improved over .5mph.  Sure, I'm in better shape than when I started.  Conditions might have had a little to do with it, but then a step on the scale today showed me I'm pushing significantly less paddler.

228.5lbs!  Don't think I've been below 230 in twenty years!  I haven't gone paleo or anything, but try not to eat stupid.  The main thing has been cranking out 4-5 miles a day on the open ocean.  Feels awesome!  Really grateful for the example of guys like Creek.  Losing more will only make SUPing more fun.  Might have to order me one of them short boards one day!
Santa Barbara, CA

SIC RS 14x24.5
Infinity Blackfish 14'
Naish Glide 14' (2012)
SupSports Hammer 8'11
Starboard WidePoint 10'5
Ke Nalu Mana, Konihi, Maliko

supthecreek

Re: Look out Jenny Craig--SUP might grab your market share!
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2014, 01:08:12 PM »
Yeee Ha!   Stoked for you bulky.... errr...notsobulky.

I love this stuff. Thank God for SUP.

You changed your name once.... you may have to do it again ;D

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2014, 02:15:54 PM »
Distance SUP does the same thing for me. When I SUS a lot and not so much distance, I feel it in the waist. I just started doing distance again and within weeks I dropped 10 lbs. Plus I feel better. I even decaf'd myself, and I have more energy throughout the day. One of the best things about distanced paddling is everyone doing it feels the stoke.

Keep it up Bulky! It's not just a fad, it's a way of life brother....
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

Bulky

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2014, 03:04:24 PM »
Thanks, guys!

Yeah, TallDude--I've been jonesing for surf and I'll certainly be out there SUSing first sign of any.  The nice thing about distance paddling is that it still makes mornings when there's none to be had pretty enjoyable.  It's been a sheet of glass here this week.  Fast and fun!
Santa Barbara, CA

SIC RS 14x24.5
Infinity Blackfish 14'
Naish Glide 14' (2012)
SupSports Hammer 8'11
Starboard WidePoint 10'5
Ke Nalu Mana, Konihi, Maliko

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal