Author Topic: Going slow to go fast part II  (Read 1871 times)

SURFnTURF

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Going slow to go fast part II
« on: June 07, 2014, 05:31:09 PM »
This way of thinking has many detractors, Mark Allen is not one of them see Markallenonline.com .     For the past 5 months I've been on a mostly low heartrate , base training program in that most of my running , paddling and other aerobic exercises are done in the 100% aerobic zone of 70-75% of max heartrate, or the "talk test"   Due to wind, currents etc... paddling is hard to compare one workout to another, so  I'll use running.    In January, my 70% HR 5 mile average was about 10:45 per mile, last week I was 9:32  average for 7 miles on mostly the same course, but with much higher heat and humidity than in January, but at THE SAME LOW HEART RATE!!!!
      Yes I've been lifting and doing TRX classes most Saturdays, with my only speedwork being every 2-3 weeks to maintain efficiency and keep things fresh.     I set an over 40 5k PR of 23 minutes and something (7:30 miles) 2 months ago.    I did however get outkicked at the finish line; there is no take without a give.
     Anyways....   My next big event is the Richmond marathon in November.   I plan to keep up this LHRT till the start of my 16 week training program in mid July, giving me a solid aerobic foundation on which to build.     
     Yes, training in Zone 3, the "I'm working hard zone" will reap gains faster, but it will also lead to a premature peak and overtraining if maintained.
      LHRT is not a plan in an of itself, but just solid basebuilding for one's training program.    Just as outlined in riding Bumps, " the bigger the base, the higher and longer maintained the plateau".   

As a bonus, the pace has allowed me to train longer in my fat burning zone,  helping me to shed 29 pounds and avoid injury (knock knock) due to HIIT.  :))))   I've also gained strength in the gym, based on my bench press, one armed row, and pull up numbers.   TRX has done wonders for me as well.   It's not easy to go slow when everyone else is hauling ass in  the pre-season ,  but properly planned, this method will pay off in spades come the big day.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2014, 05:33:31 PM by SURFnTURF »
Beer is good for you!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal