Author Topic: Tell me I'm not crazy  (Read 26082 times)

dabigkahuna

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Re: Tell me I'm not crazy
« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2014, 06:38:12 PM »
Does anyone know whether a standard "single bolt" windsurf base mount will work with the Starboard SUP's? (Like this:  http://www.the-house.com/ch510zzchinook.html )  If not what is the thread size?

I swapped one of my no longer used kiteboards for an aerotech 6.0 sail, carbon mast, carbon boom and base.  I will likely upgrade down the road, but for now it should serve me.

Weasels wake

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2014, 07:42:00 PM »
It should, don't know the exact dim on that, but they have become pretty standard, I've used those, they're great for that use.
As for upgrading, and Ezzy sails, they have the 'Elite' that has 4 battens and is extremely light for a wave sail, and now they have the 'Taka' which has only 3 battens, even lighter still, haven't tried one of those yet.  But I can easily see any of the modern 4 or 3 batten sails work really good for SUP surf/sailing, strong and light.
Am I connected with them, nope, just a user and fan.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2014, 08:08:46 PM by Weasels wake »
It takes a quiver to do that.

downwinddave

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2014, 01:05:24 AM »
that's the same base i use on my starboard sups. no worries!

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2014, 04:15:56 AM »
A 6.0 is a good all-around size. You won't plane unless the winds are close to 20 mph, but that'll be fine to play around in and do some waves.
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

dabigkahuna

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 07, 2014, 06:26:10 AM »
I haven't windsurfed in 14 years, so will start off on flat water for a while.  Then will progress to small waves.  Pretty exciting and cool to be getting back into this sport after so long away from it.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 07, 2014, 07:28:22 AM »
With that long a layoff (about the same length as mine) you will likely find that the things you learned first are the ones you struggle most with. I still have big problems doing a standard planing jibe, but I can do a laydown--or at least I can hit a few of them. It's frustrating, but it doesn't detract. I can still waterstart just fine, but I lack the flexibility to do the low wind waterstarts I was so proud of. Ah well, it's all fun.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

dabigkahuna

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 07, 2014, 02:39:30 PM »
I ordered the mast base I linked to earlier, should be here in a week or so.

@PonoBill - I never really did anything fancy on a windsurfer.  When the technology and my skills progressed to smaller board, I was just happy to nail a gybe, much less do anything else fancy.  I windsurfed mostly Kailua and Kahala back then.  Did a long distance run from Makapuu to Kaneohe once, but that's about it.

I'm kind of happy I have this big monster board now, should be really fun in the light wind and flat water at Mission and San Diego Bay.

dabigkahuna

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 08, 2014, 05:22:59 AM »
After giving this some thought, I'm not so sure that Chinook base will work.  The windsurf base mount on my Starboard Avanti is -two holes- and not your typical windsurf base track.  I'll take pictures and measure the holes later today but in the mean time, here's a close up of a pic from the Starboard website:

spookini

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: June 08, 2014, 05:51:48 AM »
Kahuna, if it's two bolts, it's most likely a mast track covered up w/ the deck pad.  Slicing the deckpad should reveal a mast track instead of a single bolt.  You'll need this:

http://www.windance.com/Chinook-2-Bolt-Plate-Assembly-WSBE2366/

The top portion of the base unclips to reveal a built-in 10mm hex bolt head... which can then be used a wrench to tighten the bolts and secure the base to your board.

I've got some stuff for sale, check your messages..

As muttered by EVERYBODY whose built up a nice quiver of WS equipment...and then discovered SUP   ;D
« Last Edit: June 08, 2014, 05:53:29 AM by spookini »
-- My doctor says I suffer from low kook --
Do sharks attack?  Hope not
Do flying fish hate us?  Hells yes

spookini

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: June 08, 2014, 06:00:48 AM »
Kahuna, if it's two bolts, it's most likely a mast track covered up w/ the deck pad.  Slicing the deckpad should reveal a mast track instead of a single bolt.  You'll need this:  http://www.chinooksailing.com/products/product_info.php?products_id=111

The top portion of the base unclips to reveal a built-in hex bolt socket... which is used a wrench to tighten the bolts and secure the base to your board.

This could be the beginning of the end of kiting I suppose.

Pretty fascinating, this.  Kiting in the process of being cancelled  by WS'ing??... which of course was cancelled by Kiting a few yrs back   ;).

Regarding the Superfreaks, if you checkout the HotSailsMaui website, they have a "used sails" section.  The stuff still is not cheap, but cheaper than new.  If you email them, the person who responds (believe it's the owner?), is very helpful.  I was told there are used sails laying around that are not listed on the website.  They will look around and let you know if the size you want is sitting in a heap somewhere in the warehouse.  I bought a sail/mast combo and by emailing, they cut me a discount over the used prices listed on the website.  Buy now before WS gear becomes "cool" again!!   :o
« Last Edit: June 08, 2014, 06:06:39 AM by spookini »
-- My doctor says I suffer from low kook --
Do sharks attack?  Hope not
Do flying fish hate us?  Hells yes

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 08, 2014, 07:32:08 AM »
Big K, you can borrow my streamlined base until you get yours. Give me a call.

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: June 08, 2014, 08:26:47 AM »
More than one way to skin a cat...I think BK did the right thing ordering a single bolt foot...however, I would have recommended a tendon instead of a rubber bogie...the urethane tendons are more durable and are not susceptible to rubber rot...

With a single bolt, the foot can be removed completely instead of leaving a plate on the board...he would have to slice into the EVA to get the spacing right on the barrel nuts as neither the Chinook or the Streamlined are going to line up...plus, the Streamlined twin bolts that I have don't use the same bolt threads...this may have changed with Dave D's newer ones...

We sell the Epic convertible foot that allows for standard or Euro pin bases...the Euro pin base is best for SUP because it allows the sail rig to be disconnected by the push of a single button rather than trying to pinch 2 small pins...this is extremely handy if you have to deal with getting a SUP and sail rig in through shore pound without being able to grab a footstrap and hip carry like a normal WS rig...

The Aerotech sails are well made...all X-Ply...I have quivers of both Hot Super Freaks and Aerotechs...
My Aerotechs are actually Cuben Fiber which makes them extremely light and strong...especially, in the 6.2m2 and 6.8m2 sizes...SUPer light air wave sails...but, they have been discontinued because they were $uper $pendy...if you ever find one used you might want to consider it...
My wifey likes them as much, if not more, than the HSM's because they are so light...

« Last Edit: June 08, 2014, 08:30:40 AM by SUPsports »
Mahalos...{:~)

WARDOG ®
Owner/CEO  StandUp Paddle Sports®  &   SurfingSports®.com, Inc.

(805)962-SUPS (7877) store
(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
Standup Paddle Sports, LLC
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

dabigkahuna

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 08, 2014, 11:02:20 AM »
I took some quick measurements and the holes are spaced about 4.75" apart.  In each hole is a brass, female threaded nut that seems to be captive but loose and takes something slightly bigger than a 1/4" bolt (maybe 7mm or 8mm but I don't think it's 10mm).

I don't have time right now, but will look at it in more depth later.  It doesn't look to be a mast track covered by deck pad, but rather two separate inserts of some sort.

@Tom - I may take you up on your offer if only to see what will work on my board.

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: June 08, 2014, 03:15:06 PM »
The brass T-nuts are 8mm...the Starboards used to have mast tracks covered by EVA foam, with foam spacers between the 2 T-nuts...like I said, the OEM spacing does not match the Chinook spacing for twin bolts...or, any of the Streamlined that i have...but, you only need a single bolt...of course, with an 8mm thread...your board was not designed for windsurfing, so there most likely will be a huge difference in mast foot pressure between the 2 insert settings...forward and aft...

Another issue you are going to bump up against is that the OEM fins on your Avanti are grossly undersized...this will be exacerbated when you pop a sail rig on it and start to move...the rails on that board are very soft 50/50, as well...no bite going to weather...so, you will need a fin that counter-balances the forces from the sail...and, good technique...

I have designed a 10" and 12" FreeWeed fin that acts like a keel and does the trick by supplying the lateral resistance necessary to keep you from doing the "walk of shame" getting blown downwind...

Windsurfing is a little harder to learn than standup paddling…but, we taught one of our shop staff, Kelsy, how to windsurf last Summer in one day on a SUP…she’s a great athlete…volleyball…surfing…standup paddlesurfing…and, so she did quite well for her first time windsurfing…good gear and good instruction helps…;-)

Mahalos...{:~)

WARDOG ®
Owner/CEO  StandUp Paddle Sports®  &   SurfingSports®.com, Inc.

(805)962-SUPS (7877) store
(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
Standup Paddle Sports, LLC
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

dabigkahuna

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 08, 2014, 03:34:16 PM »
@Wardog - Check your messages, I sent you one about that Epic mast base.

The guy I traded with threw in a 12.5" True Ames slalom fin so I'll give that a try first.  My board also has 2 additional FCS fin boxes, about 1/3rd up the board, one on each rail.  I suppose those are a replacement for the center fin box that earlier models had.

Thanks also for all the info and pictures.  The pictures especially help me understand what you're trying to tell me.  ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal