Author Topic: hanalei  (Read 4453 times)

alap

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
hanalei
« on: May 31, 2014, 03:07:19 PM »
spent two weeks in April.
was outstanding on all levels.

first of all Kauai North Shore is beautiful. Beats all Oahu + Maui combined.
So many beaches, no problem parking (sometimes right on the beach), and beaches of all possible kind.
Friendly people, locals included (even in the grocery store! no comparison to Maui..)
Never was fingered or honked on the road, despite strictly driving a speed limit (and thats a task in itself if you drove in HI you can only wonder how those speed signs are posted, every 200 meters or so...).
Green, lush, rugged, mountains, one lane bridges.
In short, its real HI, the one can imagine it.
But drive 10 minutes to the East side and the magic is completely gone.

Highlights:
1. break at Hanalei Bay. As good as it can be. Real peeling wave. Never saw anything like this. First hour I just stand 10 meters to the side, just looking on the guys
2. The guy who surfed with his dog:
https://picasaweb.google.com/109101505881273713095/Kauai_kalihiwai_beach#6003118314296961426

(the picture doesn't work for me for some reason, so here is a link for the curious ones)

this is a river mouth on the boogy boarding beach. There never was a smidgen of a hint that he may fall. He paddled out, crossing ugly white water, in 15 seconds he made a U-turn, and effortlessly caught a wave. Then did it again... After half an hour his hair was still dry.

3. One day on the wave I saw a Lord himself, Mr. Hamilton. Very low profile, just the best surfer

My surfing:
Well the crowd vibe is very mixed on this main break. Some locals are very friendly, but some not so much so.
The concept of etiquette... well if you catch a wave they lecture you... if they catch it, it's allright, just a party wave...

My main problems were three fold.
1. I am goofy and this is right break (surfers right, lookers left - so I call it right, may be it is suppose to be called left, not sure  :o)
My back side riding skill is about 20% of my open side one. So after take off I had often trouble keeping with the wave, it was peeling faster than I was surfing to the right.
I am sure I would be totally fine if it would be right direction. I mean left... I mean the correct one! for me...

2. the crowd, some localism, the shallow reef didn't add the confidence. Plus it is a windy place. When it was too much I just was surfing the beach break. There I was a king... and  it was uncrowded. and sand. and I can go left... and some protection from wind...

3. I was surfing my ULI, 33 cm wide. BTW, I have seen one Naish, no Starboards, couple paddle surf HI, and the rest is Laird. My guess is that it is probably a right board for this wave. Typical size 10 ft. Narrow tail, wide nose. And take off... they start to paddle early... I am guessing that with such predictable wave a longer board with earlier paddling for speed is a ticket. I on another hand was doing my regular routine: steeper section, two strokes. So probably I wasn't using the best technique and the best board for that wave.

We had a great time. The weather... it may be rainy.., but it is different kind of rain.... comes from nowhere... lasts 10 min, then gone... then may be again, may be not...
And it is a windy place! But I saw just 2 windserfers and about 6- 8 kiters...

OUTSIDEWAVE

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: hanalei
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2014, 04:49:46 PM »
been to hawaii three times I always go to Kauai to hanalei   surf mostly in the bay at pine trees.   best  place in the world ( Kauai).. love to snorkel and  just  bum it..
SEA BIRDS THEY DO TOUCH AND GO AS THE WORLD JUST TANGOES BY.... SO I SADDLE UP MY SEAHORSE WITH MY FLYROD IN MY HAND.... 10'3 King custom  10'6"  c4 da beachboy

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2014, 09:03:32 PM »
Glad you went and enjoyed it.

Pine Trees is an awesome beach break. There are a couple of other breaks around there but Kauai is low key, most spots don't get mentioned on the internet. ( I respect that.)

As to the wave and the locals. Hanalei has the mellowest locals you'll probably ever meet, I've gotten way more hassle from tourists there. But, that said, if you are not riding your best, they will sense it and your waves become party waves.

One note on gear, Hawaiian water moves way faster than I'm used to, I can't imagine out running that wave on an inflatable (and I own 2 and love them.) I'm goofy but I surf a Right all the time so I'm that weird minority that are stronger on my right than left.

I'm always careful to rent a board with no rental insignia on it. Tape over the colored tape or painted numbers on my paddle and do my best to blend.

Like I said  I agree, it's the best little town on earth.

Weasels wake

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2014, 09:12:48 PM »
Heh, yeah, I've been reading this and liking it.
Ref: travel thread.
It takes a quiver to do that.

alap

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2014, 08:11:35 PM »
sc,  totally in agreement that on average the vibe is good...
and what boards you surf there, and where do you rent those from?

SoundGirl

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
hanalei
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2014, 08:41:44 PM »
<<<<Friendly people, locals included (even in the grocery store! no comparison to Maui..) >>>

LOL- just got back from HI spent most of our time on Maui. We thought everyone was friendly BUT we live in NY!!!

lpmaui

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2014, 10:51:55 PM »
Please tell everyone about Kauai.....Maui needs a break. :)

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2014, 11:33:16 PM »
I actually rented the same board I ride at home from Hawaiian Surfing Adventures, good folks and really diverse quiver. I was on a 9' Coreban Fusion.

I appreciate that the town is small enough that their boards aren't even marked so you don't have the stigma like in Waikiki where all your boards scream rental. (another good reason to rent from Blue Planet when you're on Oahu)

dontblamemyboard

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2014, 12:59:36 AM »
"real HI" ? please refrain from such intelligence, that which only contributes to what is the "real HI" Mahalo.

jdmotes

• JD Motes
  • Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2014, 05:19:57 AM »
It's been many a year since I visited but still a 'shining star' locked up there in this thing I call a brain... Love to go back with the wife - preferably while I can still walk!   

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

JD Motes/Water Bound Sports LLC
Florida; Ga; S.C; Sales Rep for:
Progressive SUP
Exocet SUP
Kona SUP
Epic Gear SUP Paddles and Accessories
Ke Nalu Precision SUP Paddles

alap

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2014, 10:21:52 AM »
thank you, SC... I saw from your previous posts, you go there often..
clicked them on the map, immediately got a warm feel about the whole place...

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2014, 12:50:15 PM »
I'm going to be there for two weeks starting the end of Sept.  ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal