Author Topic: Need recommendations on 14' - For small surf and downwinders  (Read 1924 times)

lunchbox

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Well, my Ron House Coastal Cruiser 12'6" has really got me addicted to the glide.  It's an awesome board for catching small surf, however...

There are some days, when the waves are just a little too small for that board to catch.

So, I was thinking of getting the 14' Coastal Cruiser but I'm also thinking of trying to do some downwinders (I think I've been watching too many videos. Those people make it look like so much fun).

Are there better boards out there for doing both disciplines?

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
Re: Need recommendations on 14' - For small surf and downwinders
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2014, 04:47:28 PM »
I've had my Jimmy Lewis M-14 for about six weeks now but I haven't had a chance to use it downwind yet. It's made for downwinding but I have to say, it surfs great. I think it's one of the few 14 foot downwind boards that's actually made to surf well.

It catches waves large and small way before they break and turns just like a surfboard. I've had it out in knee to waist high surf a few times and had a blast. I am certain it will be just as responsive when riding bumps downwind.

The M-14 may not be quite as fast as some of those long tailed, fin forward race boards but it makes up for it with its ability to surf. I think this is mostly due to its moderate continuous rocker, tail shape and fin placement.

It comes with a swept back tracker/weed fin but I find it surfs better with a 10 inch surf fin, so I switch back and forth depending on what I'm using the board for. It's also a great flatwater board. I've done several 5 - 7 mile runs with it and I'm planning some longer trips for this summer.

The best thing is that if you're out exploring or on a downwinder and you see some nice waves along the way, it's a 14 ft board that you can surf with as well.

« Last Edit: May 17, 2014, 05:29:38 PM by Shoals »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

lunchbox

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2014, 09:01:14 PM »
Thanks Shoals....Will have to add the M-14 to the list. Sounds exactly what I am looking for.

My only concern would be will it pick up the smallest waves and runners as easy as some of the displacement type boards. If there's just a slight difference than I think the ability to surf it would move it to the top of my list.

Muskoka SUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2014, 04:03:08 AM »
The M14 is the type of board your looking for... Any downwind specific shape will catch runners/waves better than <most> displacement race boards.  The key would be to get the narrowest board that you can comfortably balance on - and that surfs well (for a 14'er).

What about the 14' version of your Coastal Cruiser?  Though it's wider than the M14, so it wouldn't be as quick.

Also look for boards with nice tail rocker and tail volume.  The volume helps in picking up small glides.  The Starboard Allstar's are an example.

It ain't over until the fat board sinks....

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2014, 02:34:32 AM »
Thanks Shoals....Will have to add the M-14 to the list. Sounds exactly what I am looking for.

My only concern would be will it pick up the smallest waves and runners as easy as some of the displacement type boards. If there's just a slight difference than I think the ability to surf it would move it to the top of my list.

Yes, exactly.

The M14 does pick the smallest waves and runners easily. DW shape planing hull boards excel at just that. Bill Foote summarized it perfectly somewhere on the forum; "For DW a planing hull is your friend".

To pick up the tiniest wave or bump I think you should look for a fast board. 14's are obviously fast. Narrow is fast too.

The M14 is 28", SIC Bullet and Rogue Rage are 27". Buddies on both those do pick up and plane a tiny bit faster. On the M14 a quick paddle stroke at the right time and I'm running on the same bump. So it is a very small difference.

The M14 has more continuous rocker which may make it a tiny bit "stickier" to get off the water and plane than the Bullet or the Rogue Rage. That smooth rocker does give it a lovely carve however and when conditions  get super hairy the M14 stays friendly.

A 12'6 Bullet could be fun. As always: try them. I'm lucky to soon have a 12'6 Bullet, 14' Bullet V2 and a Manu Kai join our group soon. I look forward to trying them.

lunchbox

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2014, 09:33:13 PM »
Thanks Yugi...Wow...cool to hearing people loving their M14's. Wonder where I can demo one in Socal (Malibu area). Anyone know?

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
Today at 12:51:49 PM
post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
Today at 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard