Author Topic: Dents on new board - Is this to be expected?  (Read 7762 times)

lunchbox

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Dents on new board - Is this to be expected?
« on: May 17, 2014, 04:01:01 PM »
So I just bought a T. Patterson (Riviera) 10'2" that I had a chance to surf for about 1.5 hrs on Friday and 5 hours today. According to the board specs, it has 6oz glass on the top and a 4oz deck patch.

I was ok with a less durable board if it meant lighter weight and higher performance, but I was surprised to see foot dents on the deck after only two sessions. The dents are exactly where I put my feet (on both sides) and I never landed hard on those spots with my knees or anything else.

Is this pretty common to see after only two sessions? Is it just because the glass is so thin or is it maybe a defect?

I was going to reach out to the dealer but wanted to get some opinions before I do.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
Re: Dents on new board - Is this to be expected?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2014, 04:46:56 PM »
If 1.5 lb EPS   You will get foot wells. They should stabilize in depth after a few months.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2014, 06:19:36 PM »
Most of my boards have at least a slight depression where my feet are. I had one that I found split when I removed the pad after 3 years of use. I'm not light on my feet.... :o
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

lunchbox

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2014, 07:52:37 PM »
Thanks guys....just what I thought...just wanted to make sure for peace of mind.

Roundhouse

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2014, 07:46:42 AM »
It is a real tradeoff, weight vs. longevity. That is why I have been giving my money to Robbie Naish, as I get better the boards have gotten lighter and still very tough and more expensive.
Naish Nalu, Mana, Glide & Cannibal Assassin

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2014, 08:40:55 AM »
Just to be clear, custom boards can be tough and not heel dent. I'm saying the board asked about with single 6oz and 4oz patch, will dent.

AirJunky

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • My SUP gallery
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2014, 03:02:00 PM »
I had 2 LakeShores that dented & then the dent ballooned up. I had to repair both after a couple years.
--
Bill

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2014, 04:14:49 PM »
Yes, like AirJunky says, many light boards, SUP or prone, get dents in the foot positions.  And they do tend to balloon up after a bit.  It's not hard to repair if you know a little about board repair.  You cut out the balloon, fill and sand the dents, and place a couple of layers of glass to replace.  Depending on how good at it you are, it can look anywhere from pretty good to pretty bad, but the job gets done and it's fixed nonetheless. 

I wouldn't worry about it, it's the price you pay for a light glass job and light foam.
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

sup_surf_giant

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2014, 09:17:49 PM »
THIS is why EVERY one of my last few Infinity customs has come with a carbon patch more or less like these.

Problem solved. I hate that mushy and soft feeling of the foam and glass.
IMG_5040 by ewxlt, on Flickr
Phoenix v.4 - 32 by ewxlt, on Flickr
« Last Edit: May 20, 2014, 09:23:53 PM by sup_surf_giant »
Taller than most, shorter than others.

starman

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2014, 10:13:20 PM »
Well you get what you pay for and while Riviera makes some nice boards, you can't sell at those prices unless you make some compromises somewhere during the build. I think you will enjoy the board and learn a few board repair skills along the way.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2014, 04:57:19 AM »
THIS is why EVERY one of my last few Infinity customs has come with a carbon patch more or less like these.

Problem solved. I hate that mushy and soft feeling of the foam and glass.
IMG_5040 by ewxlt, on Flickr
Phoenix v.4 - 32 by ewxlt, on Flickr

Me too  ;D

It's why my boards come with pad installed. It hides the ugly carbon. Shops can't put ugly on the rack and sell it.

AirJunky

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • My SUP gallery
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2014, 10:25:44 AM »
Hmmmm, so is there any reason why you couldn't put a carbon patch on any SUP? Then reapply the deck pad over the top of it?
--
Bill

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2014, 01:19:59 PM »
Hmmmm, so is there any reason why you couldn't put a carbon patch on any SUP? Then reapply the deck pad over the top of it?

Sure, but if not done correctly, it can create unintended stress risers where the carbon fiber patch meets the weaker glass deck.  Clearly, that is not an issue with SSG's Infinity's. 

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2014, 03:44:50 PM »
I second Bean and add that dents are not an acceptable flaw in a well made board. carbon and or dema in a well manufactured sandwich construction will correct that problem but I doubt that adding it after construction will give the desired result

JimK

sup_surf_giant

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2014, 01:53:58 PM »
I second Bean and add that dents are not an acceptable flaw in a well made board. carbon and or dema in a well manufactured sandwich construction will correct that problem but I doubt that adding it after construction will give the desired result

JimK

It IS acceptable if the OP ordered a board with SINGLE 6oz glass. That is a recipe for dent-saster.
Taller than most, shorter than others.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal