Author Topic: Goofy going regular  (Read 8185 times)

Jesper B

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Goofy going regular
« on: September 04, 2007, 05:12:12 AM »
I'm goofy foot and have usually loved surfing backside, taking late drops droped knee and grabbing the rail...

Of some strange reason I paddel my SUP better with the paddle on right side, and espessially when power paddeling into a wave I paddel much stronger and with better balance standing wide regular. Sometimes I jump around to goofy after catching the wave - when I wanna go left. But going right I have converted to regular.

Convertig to regular stance and going right feels just greate. Im suddenly a switch foot. But paddeling regular and jump around to goofy feels stupid. Why not power paddel goofy and stand in my natural stance when taking of. But power paddeling in wide goofy stance just don't work as good for me. I have tried to learn but when I really want a wave I go regular...

I also swing around my board much faster and with better balance standing regular.

Why?

Jesper B

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
Re: Goofy going regular
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2007, 06:48:08 AM »
I'm goofy foot and have usually loved surfing backside, taking late drops droped knee and grabbing the rail...

Of some strange reason I paddel my SUP better with the paddle on right side, and espessially when power paddeling into a wave I paddel much stronger and with better balance standing wide regular. Sometimes I jump around to goofy after catching the wave - when I wanna go left. But going right I have converted to regular.

Convertig to regular stance and going right feels just greate. Im suddenly a switch foot. But paddeling regular and jump around to goofy feels stupid. Why not power paddel goofy and stand in my natural stance when taking of. But power paddeling in wide goofy stance just don't work as good for me. I have tried to learn but when I really want a wave I go regular...

I also swing around my board much faster and with better balance standing regular.

Why?

Jesper B

Are you right handed?

I've always believed right handed people "should be" regular foot, regardless of how they came to think they were goofy.  ;D

shapeshifter

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2007, 07:43:07 AM »
i'm right handed... ride goofy whether skate, or surf.

over the years i've come to appreciate being able to ride switch. whenever i get bored doing the same maneuvers i just switch up to feel like a beginner again.
whoever invented the hole... knew nothing.
...ooooO...................
...(.......)......Ooooo....
....\.....(.......(.......).....
.....\.__)........)...../.....
...................(__./......

alap

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2007, 09:36:59 AM »
i am also right handed and goofy, and I have the same issue. Paddle much faster and more straight line with my paddle on the right. And taking off, I have to hop into goofy with my paddle on non convenient side. I am a beginner and now I am trying to practice more symmetrical approach - paddle more on the left, stand up regular, paddle in the surfer stance on non convenient side. I am inland on flat water now and its no problem, but I wonder what it will be next trip to the ocean.

Jesper B

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2007, 06:50:07 AM »
I'm left handed "natural goofy". Still like to grab my T-handle with left hand and paddle blade on right side of me, standing wide regular. Not really SUP beginner but not that very experienced either.
/Jesper

Chan

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2007, 09:33:36 AM »
Perhaps, habit/muscle memory from windsurfing might be a contributing factor. 

Paddle-Plappe

• Peahi Status
  • Hoe he'e nalu stoked
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2007, 02:45:54 PM »
The same for me, goofy and ever right paddler. :-[
I'm still wandering about benefits it makes :-\.  I do many switch.  ;D

patfly

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2007, 04:32:28 PM »
I have always been left handed and goofy (wife agrees). After Sup surfing mostly on a right point break, I noticed I am surfing regular. Hmmm, switching after all these years.

Then I traded boards with a prone surfer who I'd been chatting with between sets. I paddled onto a wave and jumped up and found myself surfing goofy and backside. What a surprise. My JL 11' allow me the luxury of walking around and choosing whatever stance the wave calls for. But in the end I am still goofy!

Oh and the surfer has a much greater respect for what we may take for granted. SUP's are not easy first time out - even for an accomplished surfer.   :)
It was fun to share the stoke.

Pat

Steve

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2007, 06:48:46 PM »
I'm another goofy. I'll occasionally, and inelegantly, switch stance when surfing longboards but just for kicks. I can't control my turns much, although I feel better doing this surfing than going fakie on a snowboard. But on stable SUPs, it's so much easier to ride switch that the only reason I often don't on rights is that I forget. I take off as a goofy out of habit and am going to work on paddling in a regular foot stance.

val

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2008, 02:03:50 AM »
I'm left handed "natural goofy". Still like to grab my T-handle with left hand and paddle blade on right side of me, standing wide regular. Not really SUP beginner but not that very experienced either.
/Jesper

It's because you're left handed.  The left hand is on top when you paddle on the right side (regular foot facing side) and powers the stroke, thus your stroke is going to be a little stronger on the right side.  Because you also get more power facing the stroke, there is a tendency to want to move to a regular stance.   

And, for the same reasons, you'll lose a bit of power when you switch to left side, especially if you are in regular-foot stance...

I have the same thing happen to me except it's the opposite.  I'm right handed and regular-foot and thus stronger with the right hand on top paddling on the left (goofYfoot) side...  on hard to catch waves I'll paddle in standing goofy to maximize power then switch back to regular stance after catching the wave.

Jesper B

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2008, 03:07:00 AM »
Yo!
My old thread got some new energy. Well what happened since I started the thread is that I have become very much more of a switch foot. I go regular on the rights and goofy on the lefts. My regular surfing works just fine. I sometimes try not to, because I miss those nice back side rail grabs making me feel like Kelly S. Kind of fun how a new aspect (paddling with a paddle) can change your surfing quite a bit.

I lended my 10' SUP to a guy in the line up the other day. He had a 6'3 that I tried. I haven't surfed anything smaller than a quite thick and fishy 6'8 in many years. I was so surprised that surfing the 6'3 went pretty good. I think it is because of my SUP-surfing. It has given me so many more days in the water (here in Sweden we don't have waves every day) and developed my general surfing skill!!

/Jesper

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2008, 04:51:30 AM »
My old thread got some new energy. Well what happened since I started the thread is that I have become very much more of a switch foot. I go regular on the rights and goofy on the lefts.

So...What leg do you put your leash on?.. :D

DJ

patfly

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2008, 09:47:40 AM »
My old thread got some new energy. Well what happened since I started the thread is that I have become very much more of a switch foot. I go regular on the rights and goofy on the lefts.

So...What leg do you put your leash on?.. :D

DJ

The obvious improper answer is sooo tempting!

Jesper B

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2008, 05:03:34 PM »
Well what can I answer on that one. No sorry guys, its still on my left wrist. /Jesper

1tuberider

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2008, 04:02:34 PM »
Switching stance is really fun.  I am regular foot but switch to goofy on many of my lefts, its fun.  When I am surfing rights I might switch to a backside stance for fun.  Usually I spin my way to some final stance.  Even spin my paddle the opposite of my body spin.  Dizzy yet.

Wide boards make the spinners easier.  You need to have situational awareness as your spinning, and I get this by looking at where I am going. 

Stepping forward or aft is a good way to switch stance. 

Kook cords are a hassle when you are spinning and switching stance and walking and stuff, but as you may know I don't usually wear one.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal