Author Topic: Do you use your "nice" paddle for surfing?  (Read 7091 times)

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Do you use your "nice" paddle for surfing?
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2014, 11:04:14 PM »
Best Paddle all time for Surfing:  KeNalu Molokai.

Kialoa's are nice, but basically 10 year old technology.   KeNalus are better (5 year old technology).  Lighter with more power. 

I switched off today with a neighbor my Kenalu with his Methane.  Felt like it had a gopro attached to the end it was so heavy, like a plank from Home Depot.  Wore me out with its weight, and very little catch. 

After getting a KeNalu, and another I sold my methane.  I think that people should only be qualified to speak who have tried both more than 10 times.  My first paddle was a methane.  Had it for 2 years.  KeNalus now for 2+ years.  Broke one Kenalu shaft when it hit the board.  Warrantied, swapped out the shaft net cost = $0.   

PS:  "Can you Dig It?"
www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcOFKaWPyDQ

PSS: Attached weight comparison and me doing my best Oompa Loompa ooompity do. . . .
« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 11:54:53 PM by Beasho »

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2014, 04:36:48 AM »
Beasho, the Methane comes in two models. The 21 oz standard for $359 and the 18oz 3k carbon for $399. Both of which will weigh even less once you cut them down.

There is very little weight difference (10 grams+-) between the $375 Ke Nalu Molokai and the 3k carbon Kialoa Methane.

« Last Edit: May 17, 2014, 04:45:48 AM by Shoals »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2014, 04:47:31 AM »
After getting a KeNalu, and another I sold my methane.  I think that people should only be qualified to speak who have tried both more than 10 times. 
OK, well that is me then. I have had two Ke Nalus, and currently have several Kialoas and several Quickblades and a few other assorted makes. I still use either the Kialoa Methane or the Kialoa GL Surf for surfing, rather than the Ke Nalu paddles. Why? The OVAL SHAFTS and T-handle combination. I surf poor quality waves typically in onshore conditions and the oval shafts help, and I find t-grips less prone to handling error in critical situations too. My Ke Nalus have the t-grips but they have round shafts.

I also have oval shaft Quickblades. But they are too expensive for me to risk smashing around in the surf, and they come with a lovely comfy little palm grip, but which is not as positive for me in surf. I sold my Ke Nalu Wiki elite with XTuf(s) shaft to a friend (I prefer bigger blades), and he now uses it for racing. His surf paddle is also a Methane.

A couple of ounces of extra weight in a surf paddle clearly doesn't bother me as much as it bothers you. I'll happily sacrifice a bit of weight for an oval shaft (although the newer Methanes are probably lighter than your old one).

So, it's not automatically the case that people who use Methanes just haven't tried a Ke Nalu. They offer different things. I prefer my Ke Nalu Maliko to my Methane for downwinding, but not for surfing.

Cardiff Sweeper

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2014, 03:47:48 PM »
Yes.  I only have one paddle.  My backup has yet to be put together.  Ke Nalu Wiki

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2014, 06:29:51 PM »
I use my nice paddle for everything. I beat the hell out of them. I've broken 4 wooden paddles and 3 carbon, all top makers except that two of the wooden ones I made myself. I wouldn't use a cheap paddle for much of anything. I think the only place I would worry about bomb proof would be for whitewater. Gear breaks in this sport, the more you push the more you'll break. But you will have a better time with the gear that suits you whatever maker that is. This is all very personal. Paddles that others swear by I don't care for and vice versa. Just have fun with what you have and keep searching for that next upgrade.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2014, 06:44:41 PM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2014, 10:19:05 AM »
Interesting that Area10 likes a Ke Nalu for downwinding but not for racing. I agree in a way, though I use Ke Nalus exclusively. I think they are great when you want a burst of power--for getting into a bump or a swell, but not ideal grinding out a flat water race. I suspect the new higher aspect shapes Lane has come up with will be better for racing. I haven't tried one yet.

And Yes, I use my nice paddle for surfing. I think surfing is at least as critical as racing for having the right paddle. You want to catch the waves you go after. The right paddle helps that. I see people using crap paddles and lousy technique surfing--and they miss a lot of waves, even if they're good surfers. A short reach, frantic strokes well past their feet, and paddle angled well off the vertical leaves them turning more than accelerating and pulling themselves off the board. Stroking past their feet sinks the tail, raises the nose, stalls the board and pulls them off balance.

Having a paddle that catches hard right way, reaching out and stacking your shoulders, putting your core into the stroke and keeping it short keeps the nose down, your body centered and balanced on the board, and gets the wave.

Not only do you lose the enjoyment of catching some waves you wanted when you use a crap paddle and crap technique, you're also not where you want to be when big brother follows right behind. Big waves are no place for cheap gear, including paddles. When I watch Dave Kalama either going for waves or teaching people SUP surfing, one very striking thing is the precision of his paddle technique. It's at least as good as his racing stroke, and totally consistent.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 10:31:26 AM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

TheCityGame

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2014, 09:06:28 AM »
Thanks for all the replies. . . I sort of checked out for a few days here.

Paddle I use now is the one I got at a "discount" when I bought my board. . .

http://creedsup.com/sup-paddles/?sort=bestselling

I don't know if that's something they designed, or just some generic CF paddle that they slapped their logo on.

Waves. . .Jersey shore, sandy bottom, so not really overhead or anything. From the sounds of the the replies, not really the type of surf that is LIKELY to do something violent enough to damage the paddle.

sup_surf_giant

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2014, 09:40:33 PM »
I have 3 Werner Nitros.

You'd be hard pressed to break one around these parts.

I use the shortest one for my deepest sinking board.

My longest for my race board, and I leave my GoPro mount on number 3.
Taller than most, shorter than others.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal