Author Topic: Do you use your "nice" paddle for surfing?  (Read 7092 times)

TheCityGame

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Do you use your "nice" paddle for surfing?
« on: May 15, 2014, 06:05:00 AM »
Until last weekend, I'd only flatwater'ed my board. I did some surfing last weekend, and it dawned on me that there's a greater chance of breaking/losing/chipping the paddle when you're in the waves.

I don't have a great paddle -- it's a $250 carbon job -- but I'd rather not snap it in a wipe out.

Just wondering if anyone goes with a cheaper alternative in the waves where feel, and lightness, etc might not be such an issue. If so, any recs?

Or maybe I'm being overly paranoid about the possibility of damaging the paddle?

Thanks.

supdiscobay

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Do you use your "nice" paddle for surfing?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2014, 06:25:35 AM »
Two paddles-
Surf- Ke Nalu with x-tuff shaft and Maliko blade (Cut about 6" shorter than my race paddle and with paddle protector around the blade edge, which protects my board more than the paddle)
Just ordered a Wiki blade for the surf paddle
Race- 2 paddles- Ke Nalu with elite 90 shaft and elite Maliko blade, and quickblade Kanaha Carbon
8'5" Starboard Pocket Rocket, 8'0" Kazuma Fugu custom,  8'10" Kings Sidewinder, 10' Starboard Noserider, 14' BARK Carbon Dominator, SIC F16 V3, KeNalu and Quickblade paddles, 19' Eaton Prone, 67" Goode 9700

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2014, 06:39:44 AM »
I think that depends on how big the waves are.

I just bought a Kialoa Methane ($350 msrp). It's intended as an all around surf/race paddle but they say it "may not be strong enough to handle those 25 foot days." For that they recommend the GL Surf.

Just about any paddle should be strong enough to use in more or less head high surf. Before the Methane I was using a plain old Boardworks carbon and never feared breaking it. I've never fallen on my paddle so I don't worry about that. It hits the board occasionally but I usually worry more about the board than the paddle.

What do you have for a paddle? Does it seem fragile? What size waves will you be out in?

The Methane is awesome btw.

« Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 07:21:20 AM by Shoals »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

kayadogg

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2014, 07:36:15 AM »
I think you will find that most people here, if they paddle flat water/race and surf, will have at least two paddles:  1 dedicated for surf and 1 dedicated for racing/flat water.  Some would argue that you don't need to spend as much on a surf paddle but if you surf a lot and for extended periods of time, you're going to want a higher end, light paddle.  It can depend where you surf but I've surfed very rocky areas where even just getting in and out can require you to use your paddle as support.  I use a Ke Nalu Wiki with xTuf shaft for surf and even after a year and a half, it's held up great.  I've only snapped one blade while surfing and it was on a bottom turn where all my weight was on the paddle.  Odds are that just happened to be a weak ferrule from the start...snapped it clean and the shaft was still fine.  I've also lost my paddle before in larger surf where it got ripped out of my hands but I've always found it.  Tape on the paddle helps to identify it but it will usually wash into shore, or at least into an area that's accessible.  So, to answer your question, yes I use my nice paddle for surfing but I have a nice paddle for racing and distance paddling too.  This is when you start to realize that one paddle may not be enough... and before you know it, you will have 3 boards for every paddle you own.

supthecreek

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2014, 08:11:55 AM »
Ke Nalu XTuf (s) x 2
1 - Wiki
2 - Miliko

I use my BEST paddles surfing... the cheaper carbon one broke years ago... Ke Nalu's have lasted 5 times longer so far.

You should ALWAYS have 2 paddles....
I know cuz I broke my ONLY paddle during a 5' clean solo session.... No paddle... no surf :(

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2014, 08:44:04 AM »
I don't have a "good" paddle.  Then again, all I do is surf.  My best paddle, which is probably medium quality, gets beat to heck.  Probably lack of skill there.  SUSing is intense and I don't want to have to worry about messing up a paddle that cost hundreds of dollars, especially in larger surf where you get beat around a lot. 
« Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 08:47:09 AM by WaterOnTheBrain »
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

surfKnobby

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2014, 11:11:53 AM »
I have Laird Pro Carbon X with the stiff shaft that works insane for surfing. The stiff shaft is nice when leaning on it for a hard bottom turn. I used to use my Kialoa Methane, but now it's my go to paddle.

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2014, 11:29:15 AM »
I use my Kialoa Pupu for surfing and my Kenalu xTuf for flatwater. Since I'm not a good surfer, the low-end paddle won't harm me at all. The Kialoa is an older paddle and cut a few inches shorter, so the arrangement makes sense.
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

Board Stiff

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2014, 12:46:57 PM »
My bad paddle has a broken, taped up blade and a heavy, waterlogged shaft, so I use my good paddle (KeNalu X-Tuf(S) Molokai) for everything. I hang on to the old one just so I can keep paddling if I ever break or lose my good paddle until I replace that one (happened once already).

Now I'm trying to get my wife into SUP so I can buy her a smaller blade KeNalu with a shorter cut shaft, and borrow it whenever I go surfing!  :D

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2014, 01:12:29 PM »
I think that depends on how big the waves are.

I just bought a Kialoa Methane ($350 msrp). It's intended as an all around surf/race paddle but they say it "may not be strong enough to handle those 25 foot days." For that they recommend the GL Surf.

Just about any paddle should be strong enough to use in more or less head high surf. Before the Methane I was using a plain old Boardworks carbon and never feared breaking it. I've never fallen on my paddle so I don't worry about that. It hits the board occasionally but I usually worry more about the board than the paddle.

What do you have for a paddle? Does it seem fragile? What size waves will you be out in?

The Methane is awesome btw.

We'll I've hammered my Methane for about 5 years now and it is virtually unmarked you'd have to be surfing some outrageously big waves to break it in normal use. The GL Surf is a surf paddle on steroids, tough enough to dig the garden with. I love it, it's a paddle I never worry about breaking on a wave or miles from anywhere on a downwinder. But most people are gonna want something more subtle for flat water.

SUP Leave

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2014, 01:20:12 PM »
Yes, I use my Ke Nalu X-tuf with Maliko for everthing, but I don't flatwater paddle, or race, or downwind.

I do have a cheaper quickblade, but I gave that to my friends with a lake house. They have a touring board and an abomination of a paddle, I couldn't bear that so I gave them my old paddle.

I will say, I was riding a wave into the beach to go home on a fairly good sized day and was leaning back on the paddle when the white wash blew me up and the paddle got wrenched away. It took me a while to find it and I got pretty worried about the replacement cost.
Make paddleboarding great again!

bts

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2014, 01:24:15 PM »
Everyone is different.  If I've got 2 things that are basically the same, one is quality and one is cheap, I use the quality one all the time.  If I bought a cheap paddle I would not use it.  It would be a waste of money.

That said, if you are going to surf, you need an appropriate paddle, something with a medium to small surface area and a slightly shorter shaft.  I use a kialoa methane.  I like it a lot, but it is more expensive then the paddle you already own.  I don't really worry about damaging my equipment in the surf.  That is part of the cost of playing.  I baby my stuff on dry land.  Carbon fiber does not like getting whacked, I treat it gently on shore and hope it lasts longer in the water. 

NEplay

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2014, 02:20:20 PM »
Concur that the Methane is Bomber, 4 years and the thing is going strong. I will never surf waves big enough to break it. I just got rid of my Shaka'pu and picked up a Hulu for race day.
New England Is My Playground

surfinJ

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2014, 02:30:58 PM »
I use my BEST paddles surfing...

In my case, kialoa methane.  With the backup a slightly longer repaired
methane.  I surf long 3-4 hr sessions so I want light.  Surfing puts some
serious stress on the paddle, between the power strokes on takeoff to
the lean on leverage in turns.  Any damage will probably be done by the
paddle rather than to the paddle.

RATbeachrider

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2014, 05:03:32 PM »
Two Methanes bought within few months of each other.  I bring both along if Sus'ing more than walking distance from the house just in case.  As for the board, I keep as emergency a roll of the new Gorilla clear tape for a quick patch job.  Nothing worse than driving for hours than having to seat on the beach due to equipment issues while the buds are out ripping it.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal