Author Topic: 2014 Imagine Connector  (Read 13909 times)

JP4

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: 2014 Imagine Connector
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2014, 07:49:40 PM »
Covesurfer, I will gladly keep the Javelin in reserve for you if you keep a lifetime supply of papaya juice with little umbrellas in it next to my hammock on your Lanai.  And I get to ride in that new hollowed out log you just bought
« Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 07:51:25 PM by wassup? »

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2014, 09:31:53 PM »
Covesurfer, I will gladly keep the Javelin in reserve for you if you keep a lifetime supply of papaya juice with little umbrellas in it next to my hammock on your Lanai.  And I get to ride in that new hollowed out log you just bought

The 'hollowed out log' is like a freaking paddle powered Ferrari. And, you sit 'on' it, not 'in' it. Grasshopper.

When we get a day like today, where you actually get to drop in and surf for most of the Maliko run, I'd rather be standing than sitting. As JR told me a while back, I've never been surfing when I've thought, gee, it sure would be fun to sit down. ;D

JP4

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2014, 09:40:53 PM »
Your wife sent me a picture of you in your new boat Cove.  Looks to me like you sit in it.  Might wanna spray it for Bark Beetles before you put it back in your storage unit.

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2014, 09:45:42 PM »
Dammit! I TOLD her NO PICTURES!

And, maybe this picture should be shared on the 'Hot Chicks on Standup Paddlelogs' thread.

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2014, 09:56:47 PM »
Brings new meaning to people saying they' re going out paddling in trunks.

Blue crab

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2014, 03:14:44 PM »
wassup.  Awesome review. Given that my 2 boards are a 2011 Javelin & Glide, I am curious to say the least. I have come to love the glide for short period, steep swell conditions. I particularly like having only 8 feet of board in contact with the water during a plane.  I also kind of dig constantly moving around on the board.  However, the connector sounds like an upgrade.

Heading down to HR in mid July. A few questions.  What other boards are available at the event center? I am also stoked to try the 2014 glide. Also, is the shuttle going 2x / day?

JP4

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2014, 05:48:44 PM »
  What other boards are available at the event center? I am also stoked to try the 2014 glide. Also, is the shuttle going 2x / day?

Blue Crab, I think you can demo just about anything they sell from Big
Winds down at the Event Site on the water.  I was keen on the 2014 Glide as well, but haven't ridden it yet.  I know they have those for demo.

As far as the shuttle, they will run it as long as they have a minimum of 4 people going.    There are more and more people downwinding all the time, so you shouldn't have to look too hard to get a ride.  It's only about a 7 mile drive on the freeway.

JP

JP4

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2014, 04:41:49 PM »
I've now had about 10 runs on the Connector and have made a few observations.  At first I was really hit and miss on it, some days were great, others I fell in constantly, so it took a while to figure out exactly how to paddle it.  Keep in mind, I just started this downwinding thing at the end of last summer, so I probably only have 25 or 30 runs under my belt.  I'm by no means an expert. 
It's really tippy compared to the Glide I came off of.   In the end, this was a good thing, because I have really improved my brace and have learned to stay much looser on the board.  Now I can get through a whole run without getting tossed off if I'm having a good day.
It's really light and maneuverable.  Changing direction is a breeze compared to the Glide.
It's more sensitive to where I'm standing on it.  The planing surface is much shorter, so you have to be in the right spot to get it going.
It's pretty slow if the wind backs off.  While it paddles nicely at low speeds, it pushes quite a bit of water.
I think this will be my go to board on really windy days, say 25kts+, but on the lighter days I'll be on my 26"Javelin, which doesn't even seem that tippy after getting used to the Connector.
Still really stoked on it though.  Still cant get over how light is is either, which is kind of a big deal for me as my shoulder is trashed.  Much easier to get on the rack!
JP

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal