Author Topic: 2014 Imagine Connector  (Read 13913 times)

starman

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
2014 Imagine Connector
« on: April 29, 2014, 11:50:55 AM »
This board looks interesting;

http://bigwindsblog.com/

XLR8

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: 2014 Imagine Connector
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2014, 03:57:00 PM »
Yeah it does...low price tag too.  I was real interested to see what kind of downwind shape Dave Kalama would put out.  I would like to see more pics.  I saw a photo of supposedly Daves dw board, maybe this model?, and its rocker was like old Glide to the extreme.  This one doesnt look like that Bu it is tough to tell.  I will definately keep watching!
Blkbox Surf
Instagram: @greatlakespaddler

starman

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2014, 04:22:23 PM »
From the few crappy pictures I could find the nose design looks, in my opinion, spot-on for downwinders. Especially for most places that have the bumps at tight intervals. I also appreciate the 29 1/2" option. That shows some consideration for those who don't have the talent for balance in rough water. Also there is the fatigue factor over distance on some of these space needles out there.

robon

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile

Muskoka SUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2014, 07:11:45 PM »
Very intriguing  8)...
It ain't over until the fat board sinks....

Fog City Rider

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2014, 09:57:36 PM »
It does look like the old old Glide, but with a hefty serving of V on the top & bottom of the nasal.  Hey, why not? 

To this day, I have never seen an Imagine board in my life.  Are they popular somewhere, because they're definitely below the radar in Norcal. 
San Diego, CA
10'0 Naish Nalu Pro (2017 version)
9'0 Pearson Arrow Laird custom
9'3 Pearson Arrow custom (prone)
9'8 Takayama In the Pink (prone)

Muskoka SUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2014, 04:16:08 AM »

To this day, I have never seen an Imagine board in my life.

..hence the name.    Imagine.  ;D
It ain't over until the fat board sinks....

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2014, 06:10:56 AM »
The board looks like it'll work great, but it ain't pretty.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2014, 09:11:10 AM »
I have an old glide, this thing doesn't look anything like it. It doesn't look much like anything else I've seen. I've got to try one as soon as I get back to the NW. Looks perfect for high wind Hood River. I'll probably have to wait for my shoulder to heal, but this is interesting. It's got some characteristics that I was planning to build into my science project for this year--like minimal tail volume. Only I plan to do it a different way. All the same, I like the look. I'm tired of dealing with buried noses.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

JP4

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2014, 06:08:24 PM »
Demoed the 27" wide Connector today on the Viento run.  Conditions were quite variable, from a solid 25mph and filled in at the put in that held on until Mitchell point, to probably less than 15mph at the Event Site.  The current is much lower this week, so that made the run much easier than it's been lately.

A little background.  I'm an intermediate paddler at best, but pretty solid.  160lbs.  I've been paddling an old beater 2011 Glide that Covesurfer sold me last summer, as well as a 2011 Javelin (for sale, btw).

Well for me the Connector was better in just about every way.   I've been trying to think of some negatives since I got off the board, but I just can't come up with any.  I'm sure some of you more experience paddlers might have a different opinion, but for me at my ability level, it was just a lot more fun, forgiving, and faster.

For reference I was padding with a buddy of similar ability on a 2011 Glide.  We are usually pretty much the same speed, but today I easily put distance on him by catching many of the small swells that he couldn't get onto.

The first thing that was apparent on the Connector was it is pretty much immune to pearling.  At first I was bracing myself when the nose went under, but soon I was intentionally drilling it into the swell in front just to see what would happen.  What happens is the board slows every so slightly, but doesn't come off a plane and toss you over the front like the old Glide would.

The other big thing I noticed was how little trimming I had to do compared to the Glide.  On Big Tuesday last week, I often found myself standing way back on the leash plug of the Glide, trying not to auger in with my limited skill set.  Even on a smallish day like today, I'm usually taking a few steps on the Glide.  On the Connector I found I only had to take about one step back when it really got going.  That made it much easier to keep on a plane, right in the pocket of the short period Gorge swell. 

Another thing I really liked was how responsive it is to foot steering, and I also found it was less likely to dig a rail and throw me off if I screwed up and got sideways on a wave.

By the time we got to Wells the wind had really backed off and I found it paddled pretty well in the flatter water too.  The recessed deck is also really nice as is the light weight.  Carry handle is really good too and it comes with a slick FCS GoPro slot up front.

So, long story short, I went back to Big Winds, credit card in hand, and I'm now the owner of a sweet new Imagine Connector! 

JP

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2014, 06:55:09 PM »
Wassup, this is good news on so many levels. Your quiver has expanded to the point where I believe you are well into SUP downwind addict territory. Sure, you think you can stop any time you want but do you notice those cycling jerseys starting to feel a bit constricting? Soon, your riding buddies will start making fun of you because there are actual muscles in your arms. Next, the hand cycle jokes will begin. Good luck. If you need emotional support, you can always call me.

Congrats on becoming so addicted that you have added to the board collection and because it sounds like that is a great board. At 27 lbs. you can't go wrong. Also, the nose design is really cool and it sounds like it works.

Don't sell the Jav, what am I supposed to use when I come over to paddle?!? Maybe we can work something out where, say, I give you $40 towards ownership in the board and I get to use it whenever I come over. You just store it for me and deliver it when I visit. Sounds pretty good, huh? Maybe I could give you $45?

So much for my stupid attempts at humor. I am excited for you getting that board. Wish I could come over and paddle the Gorge. Maliko was as good as ever today. Solid wind 25 to low 30's. Best run I've had in a couple of weeks. Come visit, we will go get some downwinders!

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2014, 07:16:30 PM »

Don't sell the Jav, what am I supposed to use when I come over to paddle?!?
I think what Covesurfer is trying to say is, don't sell the Jav, what are you going to use when he comes over to paddle?

Fog City Rider

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2014, 07:35:31 PM »
Great review, thanks for sharing. 

It's great to hear comparisons between different DW boards.  I'm the owner of a 2011 Glide, looking to eventually upgrade.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 07:37:55 PM by Fog City Rider »
San Diego, CA
10'0 Naish Nalu Pro (2017 version)
9'0 Pearson Arrow Laird custom
9'3 Pearson Arrow custom (prone)
9'8 Takayama In the Pink (prone)

cnski

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2014, 07:38:16 PM »
Great looking board. I'll have to demo that thing when I'm up there this summer. Do any larger, experienced DW paddlers like the length of this board or would they prefer something longer? Just curious.

JP4

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2014, 07:45:53 PM »
Cnski, though it's also 14', the Connector also comes 29.5" model with a little more volume. Though I didn't paddle that one, I saw it next to the 27 and it looks like it has quit a bit more volume.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal