Author Topic: 16-5 done  (Read 6026 times)

55NSup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
16-5 done
« on: April 19, 2014, 01:39:36 PM »
Finally done. Have to make strap handle. Will do rudder later, test it out with fixed single find and Larry Allison Twin + small center.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: 16-5 done
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2014, 09:31:20 PM »
Awesome job.
Looks fast.
Thanks' for keeping the unlimiteds alive.
Go get it wet!
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

55NSup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2014, 11:03:53 AM »
Tried it out today in 12 knot wind and some small chop with Danny Ching single fin. Seems pretty stable,  less than Bark Competitor,  more than Falcon 14x25. Only reference I have.
Pretty stable stepping back too.
Can't say anything about speed, I'll have to do a bunch of sessions with GPS,  see if my slow average is faster.
I didn't think it was much harder to turn around bouy than 12-6.
There's not much nose rocker, see what happens in some bigger waves...

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2014, 10:26:22 AM »
Nice!

55NSup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2014, 08:28:36 AM »
Tested board today with 14ft x25 2013 Fanatic Falcon. My friend and I are pretty even and I usually struggle to keep up with him when im on my 12-6 Bark competitor.
Today he could not keep up. On 1km sprint I was 20 seconds ahead. Be that far behind on Bark I think.

We switched and had similar results. My friend said it was faster and more stable / comfortable.

My board has significantly less bow wake and stern wash is same. My bow is very low volume and it will be interesting to see how it works in the moderate dw we do. Definitely a flatwater board. In DW it will most likely be handicapped.

It is significantly more stable than Falcon. falcon feels corky for our 78-80 kgs, whereby 16-5 is designed with 80kg rider displacement.

Will post some side by side pics.

55NSup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2014, 08:40:25 AM »
Falcon looks fat compared to 16-5. I used to think falcon looked slim...
I wonder if I should have made bow edge sharper like falcon...

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2014, 10:55:12 AM »
great job glad it goes well, it suddenly makes you realise making good boards is not rocket science and make you wonder how some big companies get it so wrong sometimes.  All reedy dreaming up the next one i bet!

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2014, 10:59:07 AM »
That is a beautiful board. Must be fun to be able to craft them yourself! 8)
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

55NSup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2014, 12:15:06 PM »
great job glad it goes well, it suddenly makes you realise making good boards is not rocket science and make you wonder how some big companies get it so wrong sometimes.  All reedy dreaming up the next one i bet!

You bet!  Either i tweek this design, like slightly further forward wide point and fuller nose, with more deck crown over the foredeck. Narrower tail, +1" wider to compensate narrow tail.
Or do something more radical:
like super wide tail- like a stretched racing dingy.
Or stretched,  narrow version of a Fanatic allwave, but less tail rocker. Single to double concave. Like a mega gunny board.

Todays conditions were really ideal. 5-7 knot tailwind with 6" wind chop,  or super glass on the river.

Need to ride this board much more, let some really experienced guys try it and get out in 20 knots DW and 1m chop windwaves we get.

karl

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2014, 01:09:17 PM »
Nice. Remind us how wide and volume?
K

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2014, 01:46:59 PM »

You bet!  Either i tweek this design, like slightly further forward wide point and fuller nose, with more deck crown over the foredeck. Narrower tail, +1" wider to compensate narrow tail.
Or do something more radical:
like super wide tail- like a stretched racing dingy.
Or stretched,  narrow version of a Fanatic allwave, but less tail rocker. Single to double concave. Like a mega gunny board.

Todays conditions were really ideal. 5-7 knot tailwind with 6" wind chop,  or super glass on the river.

Need to ride this board much more, let some really experienced guys try it and get out in 20 knots DW and 1m chop windwaves we get.

yup sounds like you have caught the same bug as me! the best way is to use production boards as research and prototypes to get ideas and modify. find the bits of boards you like and transfer them to your designs. try not to make too many large changes each time if you are working on a similar board so you know when you have got something wrong or wright. 

If you do a all wave type  board push the single concave a lot further back and you will find it helps a huge amount.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2014, 02:10:08 PM »
55Nsup,
You are on the right track. Craig Richmond set the standard for what a fast unlimited hull should be. His prone paddleboards have been some of the fastest for over a decade. He used that experience to create the fastest unlimited Stand Up paddleboards. Here is a side by side hull comparison with a Richmond unlimited, your (55Nsup) unlimited, and my (Talldudes) unlimited.
It's not overhead to me!

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2014, 04:01:07 PM »
Come on PDX.... !!!!!!!! Fastest, fast board I have ever gone fast on...... It paddles just as fast too, if you are looking to paddle faster than fast!!!!!!! I might even go as far as to say, it has great glide!!!!!!!
It's not overhead to me!

55NSup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2014, 01:15:21 PM »
55Nsup,
You are on the right track. Craig Richmond set the standard for what a fast unlimited hull should be. His prone paddleboards have been some of the fastest for over a decade. He used that experience to create the fastest unlimited Stand Up paddleboards. Here is a side by side hull comparison with a Richmond unlimited, your (55Nsup) unlimited, and my (Talldudes) unlimited.

Hej Talldude, thats really interesting to see. Stoked that I'm on right track.. I'm way up here paddling with my friend who has the Fanatic. No one else around.
Designed this board based on Fanatic,  SIC boards- looking at them on Internet. Then did board with right volume for 80 kgs, and nice prismatic coefficient curve ( displaced volume along Waterline) and waterline curve.
This was actually a design I wanted to build back in '82 as a displacement windsurf board. But didnt have the shop or money to do it.
I studied a mail order yacht design course at the time. I was crewing on a MORC class raceboat designed, built and owned by guy who owned design consultancy I was working for and he loaned me the course material, which I finished.

Back then I had idea to make a hollow board out of 5mm foamcore sheets..and dreamed of designing sailboats instead of mass produced electronics.

You have more pics of your unlimited you want to share? 

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2014, 01:27:04 PM »
Come on PDX.... !!!!!!!! Fastest, fast board I have ever gone fast on...... It paddles just as fast too, if you are looking to paddle faster than fast!!!!!!! I might even go as far as to say, it has great glide!!!!!!!
You're right, TallDude--these unlimiteds are calling to me.

55N and TallDude--how wide are your boards?  (I'm sure you've answered that before). 

That must be quite a feeling to be on a board you've designed and built yourself. 

Pretty exciting to see how the knowledge is evolving with shapes, fins....

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal