Author Topic: Bamboo Stretch-Glassing Technique  (Read 6345 times)

Yohan1973

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Bamboo Stretch-Glassing Technique
« on: September 30, 2008, 03:38:22 PM »

Allan Cheateaux

• Sunset Status
  • Enhance you open ocean existence!
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - allancheateaux@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Bamboo Stretch-Glassing Technique
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2008, 07:01:23 AM »
use some blue tape to pull it into place... its a bit tricky and doesnt lay out like fiberglass

Greenlight

• Waikiki Status
  • GREENLIGHT SURF SUPPLY
    • View Profile
    • Greenlight Surf Supply
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2008, 12:46:49 PM »
Hi,

Here's a pic of a 10'6" x 28" SUP laminated with bamboo fiberglass. Black tint on the bottom lam. Bamboo veneer deck.
Enjoy!

~Brian

www.greenlightsurfsupply.com

~Shape Your Surfing Experience

Yohan1973

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2008, 08:54:57 PM »
Brian, that is one sweet board. Thanks for the reply. Where do you get your bamboo veneer, do you supply that also? My SUP is currently on hold as I reconsider a boat building project. However, I'm still gather info since I might put the boat on hold too and just do technical research on both projects for a little while. The SUP I have in mind is 33 inches wide. So that pretty much means that I'll only get 2 widths of coverage per unit length instead of three like you suggest on your site; correct?  Also, how easy is it to get the boo veneer to conform to compound curves? How much weight does it add? Once again, thanks for the reply and great work there!

Greenlight

• Waikiki Status
  • GREENLIGHT SURF SUPPLY
    • View Profile
    • Greenlight Surf Supply
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2008, 07:41:31 AM »
Hey Yohan,
Thanks for the compliment. Wish I had more time to make SUPs. I think they are a lot of fun because you can get into a rhythm doing real long rail bands. Like going for a stroll in the park  :)
Yes, we sell the bamboo veneers. Feel free to email us for specs and pricing.
You'll get 2 laminations per bamboo cloth piece at 33" wide. The bamboo comes 60" wide and stretches about 125% of it's original dimensions so you can get a nice lap over a thick SUP rail...
No other material comes close to the workability of the bamboo cloth. It is an isotropic material so it can conform to any compound curve easily. No need to cut "V" notches like fiberglass.
The effective bamboo weight is 5 oz, but it does absorb epoxy resin due to it being a natural fibre. Resin absorption is controlled by your squeegee technique to minimize excess waste and weight.

Daniel

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2008, 12:56:32 PM »
Hey Brian! How come you haven't sent me a picture of your paddleboard with my paddle on it?  Nice "veneering" job! Never saw that much veneer on a board!

Here the last board I shaped to a friend using bamboo glassing fabrics. I used white tint on the last layer  to get a bright white finish. Shaping with bamboo is super fun and easier then using fiberglass. The veneering part is a bit more complicated and need some investment, but once you have the right tools, it's rather simple. Thanks Brian for the advices!  ;)

It's a 12 feet flatwater SUP-board, 27.5 inches wide, with a huge v-bottom on the nose and tail to increse glide on flat water.

Daniel

Greenlight

• Waikiki Status
  • GREENLIGHT SURF SUPPLY
    • View Profile
    • Greenlight Surf Supply
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2008, 01:39:26 PM »
Bonjour Daniel!

Excellent board! Nice veneer work. Very classy looking.

Good idea to tint the final lamination layer if you want a bright white look since the bamboo fiberglass has a slightly natural tan color.

Keep up the good work!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal